Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Fountain of Youth
Old 04-15-2006, 12:26 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
My knees can't handle the impact of running (they stiffen up immediately).* I'll just have to try the "sprints" in a racewalking style.

Audrey
Audrey, the article implies that you can use any type of excersie. Running, swimming, biking, etc. I think that it is the intensity the counts. Also I (don't know but) suspect that it has to be something that uses large muscle groups. Thirty seconds of curls for example will give help your biceps but I doubt that it would activate the effect that the article describes whereas I suspect that 30 seconds of squats would do it.

Someone mentioned the book. I'll look into it.

I do a lot of aerobic stuff. Typically I do 4-5 days/week of LSD (long slow distance, either running, biking or in the pool) and one day of speed. i.e. Short fast intervals. But typically my shortest intervals of 60-90 seconds are a bit longer than those suggested in the article.

My plan is to add something a little shorter, similar to that described in the article once or twice a week and see if it has an effect. Probably using different sports. For example a set of 200m sprints on the track or 50 yard sprints in the pool would be about right for me.

MB

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #22

It sounds like you're overdoing it on the LSD. I'd stick to just one or two days a week...

Old 04-15-2006, 01:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
It sounds like you're overdoing it on the LSD. I'd stick to just one or two days a week...
Yeh, speed is often better than LSD.

Actually I do running races, triathlons and an occasional adventure race. If I'm trying to peak for a race I go through a (semi)planned, phased routine of recovery, building aerobic fitness, building anerobic fitness, and last building speed. If I don't have anything on the horizon I do pretty much what I feel like but that usually includes 2-4 days of running, a day of biking and a day of swimming and a day or two of lifting per week with other activities like roller blading, b-ball, tennis and kayaking thrown in every once in a while.

MB

MB
Old 04-15-2006, 02:05 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a nationally well known coach in high school track. This is very similar to the workouts he would have us do after our standard workouts.

Our standard workout was 8 to 12 miles running, including the first 2 miles run at competitive speed.

After the standard workout and a 15 minute rest, we would do intense sprints, usually about 8 or 9. They would all be 200 meters or 200-400-200-400, etc. There would be 90 seconds rest between each one.

Then I would go home and go to sleep :P

Kramer
Old 04-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #25

You can almost do this workout on a treadmill, instead of upping the speed up the incline, it gets rid of the George Jetson syndrome. I tried it this morning at several different levels, it's not something I'd do on there all the time but if weather is a problem for a day then it will work.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:49 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
Audrey, the article implies that you can use any type of excersie.* Running, swimming, biking, etc.* I think that it is the intensity the counts.* Also I (don't know but) suspect that it has to be something that uses large muscle groups.* Thirty seconds of curls for example will give help your biceps but I doubt that it would activate the effect that the article describes whereas I suspect that 30 seconds of squats would do it.
That's what I'm thinking. I know these combination weight exercises - holding dumbells - lunge step back, hammer curl, shoulder press, step back up, repeat alternating legs.

Also - lunge holding dumbells - then lift knee high, then back into lunge.

I get pretty winded doing these kinds of things! My knees seem to be able to take it.

I strength trained twice a week with a personal trainer for over two years. We would often do weight sets that were on the verge of anaerobic. I noticed that even though my aerobic exercise regimen during that time was fairly modest, my aerobic fitness seemed to increase quite a bit.

My lifestyle is mobile now (live in motorhome). It's made the "structured exercise" a little more challenging.

Audrey
Old 04-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #27

I'm going to try this out now -- if you don't hear from me it means I had a heart attack.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #28

HIIT is similar to fartlek training which has been used by runners for years.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm starting to worry about Al, it has been hours since he left. Should somebody check on him?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Can I get some clarification on this? How much LSD should I be doing to stay in shape?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #31

Well I got back from the emergency room at 3 AM. Apparently it was a very mild heart attack. Ha ha, just kidding.

I tried it on my treadmill, set it to maximum now and then (8.3 MPH) -- not a full sprint, but I felt like I was going to be launched off the back. I'll try it outside next time.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #32

This thread inspired me to go back to swimming intervals, which I hadn't done for several years. I had been swimming long slow distance at a steady pace for too long. My last two workouts were:

5 X 200 Free on 5 mins.
5 X 100 Free on 3 mins.
3 X 100 Breast on 4 mins.

I will shorten the intervals as my conditioning improves and I will add some sprint 50 Free's when I see how my elbows and shoulders tolerate the harder effort.

Grumpy
Old 04-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #33

We live in St. Augustine, just a mile down the road from the fountain of youth. I should have taken a drink before last months lucky escape.

SWR

PS. The Saturn VUE is still running well. 3000 miles.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #34

Grumpy - when I was on the masters swim team in high school , in order for us to move up to the more advanced level, we had to do 10 X100 (m) on 1:30. I know of one guy who did it to move up - I asked him how it felt - he said it felt like a 1000 m sprint.

Are those 100 yds or meters? The meters makes a difference, especially when doing 'fly!

Bridget
Old 04-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #35

Bridget,

You were on a Master's swim team in high school? When I swam Master's 25 years ago the youngest age group for Master's competition was 20 to 24. Either Masters are getting younger or you spent a LONG time in high school.

The intervals I posted were for 100 yards. The indoor pool here at our community is only 20 yards so I get lots of flip turn practice. I was holding around 1:25 for the 100's but at this point I need a pretty long rest before the next 100. As my conditioning improves I will try to shorten the rest interval. I never was much of a sprinter. I think my fastest ever 100 yd free was around 1:02 (at age 32). My pace for a 1650 is arount 1:45 per 100 so I don't go a whole lot faster even for short sets. Because of chronic back problems I can only breathe to the left so I usually breathe every fourth stroke unless it is an all out sprint. For the same reason I don't even attempt fly.

Do you still swim? One of the best things about being retired is going to the pool whenever I feel like it - not having to share a lane with too many people like when I used to go after work.

Grumpy

Old 04-27-2006, 06:48 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I try to do the sprint 8 two or three times a week, in between days I'll bore myself to death with weights at the gym, most weekends I'll be doing what I love best. http://www.rockclimbing.com/photo/ph...ow.php?id=6645
Old 04-29-2006, 06:16 AM   #37

Run gang run.

At 50 I still run 60 to 65 miles a week with a week of 70+ every once and a while. Heck I have been running since I was 10, heck that is 40 years.

Funny how the 200 meter speed workouts on the track with the high school track team I coach are so darn slower than what I could run back in the day.

Anyway stay active, get up early put in a bunch of miles read the newspaper, run some more maybe work part time at a running shoe store paddle a kayak.

Soon, I will be able just waiting for my house to sell and then we make the jump.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #38

Do I see knee and hip replacements at 65?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #39

88, I used to do 100 a week, long run of 22, averaged 7.15, stopped running at 46, weight came, running stopped.

PB for 10k was 41.13, no problems with my joints but some of my old running buddies have had both knees replaced, some have back problems.

I think if you keep the weight down that might be key, I am nearly 6, I was running at about 155 pounds.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Do I see knee and hip replacements at 65?
I wouldn't last that long!

The only running I plan to do for the rest of my life is whatever it takes to pass the two-mile run of the tae kwon do black belt test qualifier. And then I think it's a 9:30 pace, so no worries.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote