Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Fountain of Youth
Old 05-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been doing the sprints. Well - OK my sprints are "girlie" race walking sprints. Walking up a hill as fast as I can for 30 to 60 secs.

But it's enough to get lactic acid to build up in my legs (the burn). Just barely gets me winded - by the last sprint I might be just a little winded.

I figure if it's enough to cause lactic acid build-up it's gotta be good for something.

I added some post-walk lunges and squats with weights the other day. Now THAT got the heart pounding and got me winded. I guess I'll have to do the weights thing a couple times a week.

So far the knees are holding up (just barely).

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
So far the knees are holding up (just barely).
I sprained my right knee about 18 months ago (tae kwon do) and I've never really let it heal properly. It's started making those funny "crepitation" noises but I've finally figured out the issues and it's slowly healing. I was probably down so deep that it'll take another year to heal completely.

I sprained my left knee last Friday when I landed awkwardly on it. (Something about the sabumnim's axe kick to my jaw just sort of unhinged my concentration momentarily.) It was an extremely painful reminder of what it's like to lose the use of your "good" knee. However it's coming back.

This time I'm taking a three-week break with daily stretches-- and of course plenty of salty hydrotherapy. Today I started lunge-walking and next week we'll restart forms & lifting. I know what I did wrong on the knee landing and I know that I need more lifting & load-bearing exercises to strengthen my knees.

What I have yet to learn is to stop overexerting myself and to allow sufficient time for healing. Luckily I think it only takes one axe kick to the face to achieve that clarity of understanding...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Oh I know about funny knee noises!

I really ruined my knees in my early 30s way overdoing it with the downhill skiing.

I haven't been able to jog or do any kind of high impact activity since. It's amazing - a bit of impact and the knees really stiffen up and get "crunchy".

Audrey
Old 05-04-2006, 06:16 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
I decided to post this after reading the "Die at 80" topic:

http://outside.away.com/outside/body...raining-1.html

It is an article from Outside magazine suggesting that brief, very intense physical exercise can increase natural human growth hormone (HGH) production and presumably slow the aging process.
I started incorporating this into my workout a week or two back when it was posted (using an eliptical trainer). So far, so good. I noticed almost an immediate uptake in energy (maybe just psychological). The great thing is that it is less boring than a typical trainer workout. Timing the sprints is distracting and makes the overall time pass quickly.

The HGH must be working too - my fingernails are growing quicker
Old 05-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Being kicked in the head is not my idea of exercise... :P

Knees, hips, lower back, right shoulder...

Pass the ibuprofen...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Grumpy,

Sorry took so long to get back - no I don't swim for working out right now, but I can still swim, if you know what I mean. Whenever I do get in the pool, I think of laps :-) Plus people tell me they know I swam competitively because my strokes are so smooth - I still remember working on our stroke techniques - breathing techniques, fartlecks, kicks, pulls, etc, etc, etc.

Interesting on the Masters - I guess we were AAU then and it became USS - but I swam in the lane with Masters (couldn't stomach the 1000m sprint!), so perhaps thats why I said I swam Masters.

I intend to swim more when I have more time and live closer to a pool - actually, I have a goal to do a mini-triathlon and when I start to train for that, I'll do some pool time - I've heard that is the weak point of most - mine is probably the bike-ride.

Good luck and keep 'stroking' :-)

Bridget
Old 05-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #47

I think when I decide to leave my job, sooner than later maybe this fall, I think my house sold, under contract, anyway I think I will just up my running to near 100 miles a week, swim and bike each day. Kinda like my new job. I will be out of the house away from the wife and not be spending any money.

Drink water so no big bucks there.

Eat a calorie restricted diet, studies show you live longer so less money for food will be needed.

Off to run.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy88
Eat a calorie restricted diet, studies show you live longer so less money for food will be needed.
Isn't that a wash? If you live longer you'll be eating food over a longer time, so might still come up to the same total food over a lifetime (or more)?

Personally I never "got" the calorie restriction thing to achieve longevity. You actually go hungry most of the time, and you look like someone who has starved. Doesn't sound like the quality of life is worth the longevity!!

Audrey
Old 05-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Isn't that a wash?* If you live longer you'll be eating food over a longer time, so might still come up to the same total food over a lifetime (or more)?
Personally I never "got" the calorie restriction thing to achieve longevity.* You actually go hungry most of the time, and you look like someone who has starved.* Doesn't sound like the quality of life is worth the longevity!!
Yeah, but your investments will have longer to compound to pay for the higher-priced food. We'll all be eating synthesized protein out of replicators by that point.

I'm intrigued by all the positive health improvements seen when the Biosphere II team went on calorie restriction. "In the first six months, and on 1,800 calories per day, the Biospherians showed an average 15 percent weight loss, 18 percent lower blood glucose, 35 percent lower blood cholesterol, and 18 and 21 percent (systolic/diastolic) lower blood pressure." And while you're hungry through the "downsizing" if not done properly, you reach a new plateau where hunger is no worse than your hunger currently is. My question is maintaining an active life (martial arts, surfing, & yardwork) on that fare, but all I'd have to do to hit 1800 cal/day is cut back on the ice cream.

As for the starvation, look at 1940s pictures of the WWII troops on ships or families on the beach. Quite a few people used to look like that. Maybe it was bad diet with too much nicotine & ethanol, but the way most Americans look today is (hopefully) an aberration from the historical record.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

1800 calories per day doesn't sound so bad. But I thought the longevity people were eating well below that. Seemed like the point was to slow the metabolism so as to slow cell division which increases longevity. Minimizing exercise was another part of the strategy to slow metabolism/extend life. [I admit that all the in depth info got about the "CRONE" movement was from a Newsweek article so I may be way off base]

No question the amount of people overweight today IS an aberration and most could stand some serious calorie restriction from current levels. But my impression was that the longevity movement went way to the other extreme.

Audrey
Old 05-14-2006, 08:51 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1800 calories per day doesn't sound so bad.* But I thought the longevity people were eating well below that.* Seemed like the point was to slow the metabolism so as to slow cell division which increases longevity.* Minimizing exercise was another part of the strategy to slow metabolism/extend life.* [I admit that all the in depth info got about the "CRONE" movement was from a Newsweek article so I may be way off base]
No question the amount of people overweight today IS an aberration and most could stand some serious calorie restriction from current levels.* But my impression was that the longevity movement went way to the other extreme.
Audrey
Well, Walford died a few years ago so I'm sure the movement is making its own way... or rudderless.

At one point I heard 1300 calories, which seems to be about the level of a concentration camp. But when he was eating lunch with Alan Alda on Scientific American Frontiers, he had a huge bowl of salad-- easily a quart-- that would have filled up a horse with its fiber, minerals, & vitamins. The bulk was there, and it just wasn't heavy on calories. The guy was pretty buff for someone in his 60s, and he exercised regularly.

Walford's book was focused on telomeresis too but his idea was to stop doing the abusive things that accelerated cell division-- like eating foods that caused the body to get fat. There's some debate on whether telomeres can be repaired, but so far it's been observed that they seem to support a fixed number of cell divisions. In addition to their diets, Biosphere II's health improvements were also caused by the huge slug of exercise that all the team members received by working in the food gardens, and they wouldn't have been able to keep up if they'd reduced their metabolisms.

Alda asked Walford if he thought the Walford Diet was working for him, and he replied "Well, I don't know, it's too early to tell because I've only been on it for 10 years."

I've been eating less anyway as I age. I probably eat less than 60% of what I used to pack away in my 20s, especially when I was biking 70 miles a week. I haven't been especially vigilant about it but every year I eat a little healthier and eat a little less. If I can do it on 1800-2000 calories/day (guess I'm going to have to start logging the numbers to see if that's what I'm really eating) then I'd drop another 100 calories over the next month or two and try that for a few months. If I drop another 10-20 pounds I could really do a lot with a surfboard.

No way would I go from a 2500 calorie/day diet to less than 2000 in one week. The metabolic effect might even be hazardous to one's health, and anyway life just wouldn't be worth living!

Old 05-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

No question the amount of people overweight today IS an aberration and most could stand some serious calorie restriction from current levels.* But my impression was that the longevity movement went way to the other extreme.
Yes, I read a piece I think in Psychology Today a while ago that followed the progress of a guy on this diet.* He eats only 2 meals a day - mostly stuff like salad.* His photos shows him going from being slightly overweight to fit to nearly skeletal.* His one major complaint was a very serious drop in sex drive.* That worked out just fine though because he said his wife was also significantly less attracted to him now.

The article seemed to warn that for some people this can become a disorder on a par with anorexia.* They also suggested that while this diet may improve the potential lifespan (still questionable since no studies have been done on humans) it doesn't necessarily save you from things like cancer and other diseases.* Then there's the fact that you could always get hit by a bus.

Personally I'll stick to my 2000 calories a day, 6 day a week workouts, sensible 125 lbs body weight, and occasional desserts thank you very much.* Life is indeed too short, but I don't think this is the answer.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I sprained my right knee about 18 months ago (tae kwon do) and I've never really let it heal properly.*
back.
Nords,

I too practice TKD. I have been doing it about five times per week for many years. I have found that knee injuries are among the most common and generally occur with older, heavier students -especially when attempting turning techniques and not landing properly. I have found that the best prevention is to get into better aerobic shape (and lose weight if this is a problem) so that you will stay (float) on your toes more and not plant your feet heavily - especially after aerial techniques. Great excercise to build up your calfs, quads and hamstrings is jump roping. I make my students do three to ten minutes of jump rope at every class.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:23 AM   #54

Knees are shot after 20+ years of jogging, mostly on the highway. Now I walk or stationary-bike an hour 5 days a week and the other two days 1/2 hour after some light weights. I need to get knees checked, but probably won't like the answer.

As to eating, why not follow the Okinawans idea of 80% full? Eat until you notice you are feeling somewhat full, and stop. Are they not the world longevity champs or have they been replaced by the French? BTW, the French paradox is wunnerful. Just eat delicious food (a baguette and dessert a must), and drink red wine. Their diet makes life seem too short.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:34 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

In college I weighed 95 pounds, about ideal for someone 4'11". I have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. 1800 wouldn't do it for me.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #56

Up until the time I became pregnant with my son, age 24, I fluctuated between 98-102 lbs and I am 5' 1 1/2". My weight has went up gradually as I have become older. For the first time in my life, I decided that I really need to lose weight and have taken action. A friend at work gave me her weight watcher books and materials and I am following that program on my own. I know that I can have 20 points a day, but I have no idea how many calories are in those 20 points. I do know that I am losing weight and my clothes are fitting much more comfortably now. I have lost about 6 lbs and I am in my third week. I am eating much healthier now, with lots of fruits and vegetables. I have no desire to get back down to 98-102, but I would not mind getting down to 115 again. If so, I have 11 more pounds to go. It is very easy to do the Weight Watcher program and everything is spelled out for you. A lot of the vegetables are 0 points as long as you don't eat too many of them!

Dreamer

Old 05-25-2006, 03:42 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Recently switched to eating most of my calories as fat (65%+). Food tastes great, never hungry, and eat significantly less calories than previously (around 1800 compared to 2200).
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, Walford died a few years ago so I'm sure the movement is making its own way... or rudderless.
http://www.calorierestriction.org/ carrys on Walford's work.

Walford was almost 90 when he died, put he had ALS, something that is likely unaffected by restricting calories.

However, the link above has some very bright people doing a lot of research. It's pretty interesting how much a restricted calorie diet improves cardiovascular risk, cancer risks etc. But it has to be a diet than isn't lacking any essential nutrients.

that being said, I just don't have the willpower for t he diet. And I like beer too much.