Fountain of Youth

audreyh1 said:
1800 calories per day doesn't sound so bad.  But I thought the longevity people were eating well below that.  Seemed like the point was to slow the metabolism so as to slow cell division which increases longevity.  Minimizing exercise was another part of the strategy to slow metabolism/extend life.  [I admit that all the in depth info got about the "CRONE" movement was from a Newsweek article so I may be way off base]
No question the amount of people overweight today IS an aberration and most could stand some serious calorie restriction from current levels.  But my impression was that the longevity movement went way to the other extreme.
Audrey
Well, Walford died a few years ago so I'm sure the movement is making its own way... or rudderless.

At one point I heard 1300 calories, which seems to be about the level of a concentration camp. But when he was eating lunch with Alan Alda on Scientific American Frontiers, he had a huge bowl of salad-- easily a quart-- that would have filled up a horse with its fiber, minerals, & vitamins. The bulk was there, and it just wasn't heavy on calories. The guy was pretty buff for someone in his 60s, and he exercised regularly.

Walford's book was focused on telomeresis too but his idea was to stop doing the abusive things that accelerated cell division-- like eating foods that caused the body to get fat. There's some debate on whether telomeres can be repaired, but so far it's been observed that they seem to support a fixed number of cell divisions. In addition to their diets, Biosphere II's health improvements were also caused by the huge slug of exercise that all the team members received by working in the food gardens, and they wouldn't have been able to keep up if they'd reduced their metabolisms.

Alda asked Walford if he thought the Walford Diet was working for him, and he replied "Well, I don't know, it's too early to tell because I've only been on it for 10 years."

I've been eating less anyway as I age. I probably eat less than 60% of what I used to pack away in my 20s, especially when I was biking 70 miles a week. I haven't been especially vigilant about it but every year I eat a little healthier and eat a little less. If I can do it on 1800-2000 calories/day (guess I'm going to have to start logging the numbers to see if that's what I'm really eating) then I'd drop another 100 calories over the next month or two and try that for a few months. If I drop another 10-20 pounds I could really do a lot with a surfboard.

No way would I go from a 2500 calorie/day diet to less than 2000 in one week. The metabolic effect might even be hazardous to one's health, and anyway life just wouldn't be worth living!

audreyh1 said:
No question the amount of people overweight today IS an aberration and most could stand some serious calorie restriction from current levels.  But my impression was that the longevity movement went way to the other extreme.

Yes, I read a piece I think in Psychology Today a while ago that followed the progress of a guy on this diet.  He eats only 2 meals a day - mostly stuff like salad.  His photos shows him going from being slightly overweight to fit to nearly skeletal.  His one major complaint was a very serious drop in sex drive.  That worked out just fine though because he said his wife was also significantly less attracted to him now.

The article seemed to warn that for some people this can become a disorder on a par with anorexia.  They also suggested that while this diet may improve the potential lifespan (still questionable since no studies have been done on humans) it doesn't necessarily save you from things like cancer and other diseases.  Then there's the fact that you could always get hit by a bus.

Personally I'll stick to my 2000 calories a day, 6 day a week workouts, sensible 125 lbs body weight, and occasional desserts thank you very much.  Life is indeed too short, but I don't think this is the answer.

Nords said:
I sprained my right knee about 18 months ago (tae kwon do) and I've never really let it heal properly. 
back.

Nords,

I too practice TKD. I have been doing it about five times per week for many years. I have found that knee injuries are among the most common and generally occur with older, heavier students -especially when attempting turning techniques and not landing properly. I have found that the best prevention is to get into better aerobic shape (and lose weight if this is a problem) so that you will stay (float) on your toes more and not plant your feet heavily - especially after aerial techniques. Great excercise to build up your calfs, quads and hamstrings is jump roping. I make my students do three to ten minutes of jump rope at every class.

Knees are shot after 20+ years of jogging, mostly on the highway. Now I walk or stationary-bike an hour 5 days a week and the other two days 1/2 hour after some light weights. I need to get knees checked, but probably won't like the answer.

As to eating, why not follow the Okinawans idea of 80% full? Eat until you notice you are feeling somewhat full, and stop. Are they not the world longevity champs or have they been replaced by the French? BTW, the French paradox is wunnerful. Just eat delicious food (a baguette and dessert a must), and drink red wine. Their diet makes life seem too short.

In college I weighed 95 pounds, about ideal for someone 4'11". I have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. 1800 wouldn't do it for me. :)

Up until the time I became pregnant with my son, age 24, I fluctuated between 98-102 lbs and I am 5' 1 1/2". My weight has went up gradually as I have become older. For the first time in my life, I decided that I really need to lose weight and have taken action. A friend at work gave me her weight watcher books and materials and I am following that program on my own. I know that I can have 20 points a day, but I have no idea how many calories are in those 20 points. I do know that I am losing weight and my clothes are fitting much more comfortably now. I have lost about 6 lbs and I am in my third week. I am eating much healthier now, with lots of fruits and vegetables. I have no desire to get back down to 98-102, but I would not mind getting down to 115 again. If so, I have 11 more pounds to go. It is very easy to do the Weight Watcher program and everything is spelled out for you. A lot of the vegetables are 0 points as long as you don't eat too many of them!

Dreamer

Recently switched to eating most of my calories as fat (65%+). Food tastes great, never hungry, and eat significantly less calories than previously (around 1800 compared to 2200).

Nords said:
Well, Walford died a few years ago so I'm sure the movement is making its own way... or rudderless.

http://www.calorierestriction.org/ carrys on Walford's work.

Walford was almost 90 when he died, put he had ALS, something that is likely unaffected by restricting calories.

However, the link above has some very bright people doing a lot of research. It's pretty interesting how much a restricted calorie diet improves cardiovascular risk, cancer risks etc. But it has to be a diet than isn't lacking any essential nutrients.

that being said, I just don't have the willpower for t he diet. And I like beer too much.

Back
Top Bottom