Join Early Retirement Today

Fountain of Youth
Old 04-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fountain of Youth

I decided to post this after reading the "Die at 80" topic:

http://outside.away.com/outside/body...raining-1.html

It is an article from Outside magazine suggesting that brief, very intense physical exercise can increase natural human growth hormone (HGH) production and presumably slow the aging process.

I recall hearing many years ago that HGH production starts to decline in the 20s but that exercise stimulates production but have never bothered to research it.
(I'm an aerobic sports addict anyway so I would probably continue to do it even if it was unhealthy!)

The downside?* It hurts and it is easy to get injured.* I relearned that this week when I pulled a hamstring while doing 400m running intervals (part of the normal routine).

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Fountain of Youth
Old 04-14-2006, 04:51 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been doing this workout for a few months and it is one if not the best workout you can do. You should check out his book and do the full workout, its not just the sprint 8.
There is one thing, you really need to take it slow for at least 8 weeks or so.
PJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:23 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That looks interesting, I might have to try that for a few weeks, I'm always looking for something to throw in my workout mix.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I had never heard of this exercise routine before, but have been doing something similar for a few years now.

I walk every day after work. Every second or third day, I throw in some sprints during my walking. I don't do the sprints every day because my joints scream at me too much if I try to do them more often (I'm 48).

Like the guy in the article, I run in my neighborhood. There is grassy stretch right in front of my house where I sprint (I've found that running on grass is easier on the joints). When I start to feel like I'm on the edge of a muscle strain or pull, I ease back on the exertion level. Most of the time I run at only 80 to 90% of my top speed because it's way too easy to blow something out that will take a long time to heal.

My family thinks my exercise routine is a little strange, but I do it because I really love the sprints and overall I just feel much better. Another upside is that I can eat pretty much anything I want and don't seem to put on any weight.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My knees can't handle the impact of running (they stiffen up immediately). I'll just have to try the "sprints" in a racewalking style.

Audrey
Old 04-14-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I do something similar, but on a bike doing intervals or mountain biking. The running is just too hard on the body for me anymore.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #7

mb -

I have actually read about similar workouts in the past. As I recall, the article I read compared short, intense workouts to the marathon workouts. It illustrated the differences in the "look" of Olympic athletes - like the short distance, sprinters who are very muscular vs. the long distance runners who are very lean. I have also read that if you are working out to gain muscle and lose some fat you should do theses types of workouts. I may look into this workout, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I started doing a variant of this high intensity training (HIT) several years ago after reading an article about it. I wasn't trying to rase HGH levels, but just to maintain cardiovascular fitness without spending all day at it. The idea is that short, high-intensity training makes a high demand on the cardiovascular system (more O2, get rid of CO2 and lactic acid) and that the system adapts to this overload by bulding capacity. It is difficult and time consumng to get ths same effect using long, slow training (e.g. distance running) because the high overloads can't be achieved. In an analogy to weight training: which would likely produce the best muscle gains--bench pressing 20 pounds repeatedly for 30 minutes, or bench pressing themax you could for two sets of eight?

A Japanese coach (Tapeta?) got great results for ther long-distance speed skating team by using about 6 intervals: 20 seconds of all-out skating followed by 10 seconds of near-rest skating.
It's fairly easy to do this type of training outside when you run. In the gym, it works well on the eliptacl machine (it's easy on the joints) and the rowing machine (watch that back!). You can't do the routine on treadmills--it's too cumbersome to quickly adjust the machine (there's a good chance you'll end up like George Jetson ... "Jane, stop this crazy thinnnggg!")

It s a good workout, and t goes fast. I'm not entirely convinced it conveys all the benefits of slogging the streets for 30 mintes at a 10 min/mile pace , but I feel better for it and I'll actually stick with it, which is important.

Right now I'm experimenting wth a new program of raising my heart rate entirely through the use of coffee. I'll post my results.

samclem
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:24 AM   #9

I'll bet surfing has this same anaerobic characteristics as these sprints, unless you're so good that it doesn't take much effort. *I know that when paddling out, and trying to beat the big wave that's about to break, I give 120% effort. *Wood splitting too, maybe. *
Old 04-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
started doing a variant of this high intensity training (HIT) several years ago
So, you did keep at it? What were your results?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I'll bet surfing has this same anaerobic characteristics as these sprints, unless you're so good that it doesn't take much effort. *I know that when paddling out, and trying to beat the big wave that's about to break, I give 120% effort. *Wood splitting too, maybe. *
I'm not sure of the health benefits of being slammed into the rocks, then whacked with a surfboard... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

TA,
I have not been keeping detailed records, so I don't have any metrics that will wow folks. I don't have a weight problem (I lost a few pounds when I started doing this, but I wasn't too heavy to begin with). I enjoy eating and don't count calories, which is a big plus. My resting heart rate went down about 5-10 bpm over the last 3 years, but it's not startlingly low (now it's 70 bpm--it was too high during my "desk lump" days). I feel good.

Some guys enjoy running, or working out at the gym for 90 minutes. Thats not me. I want maximum bang for the time I invest in this, then I get on with my day.

RE: the new "coffee exercise" regimen--I'll be publishing a book and coming out with a line of clothes this fall

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the link. I go to the gym three days a week but I have only been doing weights. I get too bored on the aerobic machines so I have been relying on walking. The idea of "high gain, little time" is appealing if it works.

When I went to the gym this morning I gave it a try on some sort of ski trainer deal (eliptical?). I only got through four repititions, but the effect was invigorating -- I feel great an hour later. javascript:replaceText(' :', document.postmodify.message);
Roll Eyes

I will try it for a while and report back.

Don
Old 04-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
In an analogy to weight training: which would likely produce the best muscle gains--bench pressing 20 pounds repeatedly for 30 minutes, or bench pressing themax you could for two sets of eight?

samclem
A reporter once asked Schwarzenegger whether he should do a few reps with a lot of weight or a lot of reps with a lower weight. Gov S replied: you do a lot of reps with a lot of weight.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #15

Gov S also had some juice to go along with the workouts. The juice prevents muscle breakdown and allows juicers to do A LOT more when working out. Avg joes have to be aware of doing too much for too long. From personal exp I have done best with 5-8 reps with as much weight as possible.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

There's a lot of good exercise and nutrition info (especially for older atheletes) at

http://www.cbass.com/

He may be pushing 70 now, but he's been a competitive body builder and weight lifter much of his life, and is still in fantastic shape.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #17

mb thanx for the post. i used to do similar on bike and swimming but then i guess i forgot about it. watching mom's slow death has me, my brother & sil at our heaviest. will start to reincorporate sprints again.

interesting web site too. looks like lots of good info there.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
There's a lot of good exercise and nutrition info (especially for older atheletes) at

http://www.cbass.com/

He may be pushing 70 now, but he's been a competitive body builder and weight lifter much of his life, and is still in fantastic shape.

cheers,
Michael
Very impressive guy. The key to longevity in my mind is physical fitness -- a combination of aerobic and free weight training -- throughout your entire life. You just have to decide that it's important to you; more important than most everything else except your family. Unfortunately, many people put their careers first, even before their families, and most assuredly before their health/fitness. By the time they wake up to the need to be healthy/fit, their career-oriented lifestyles have already done significant damage. This is why the FIRE attitude is the way to go in the long run. Slow and steady wins the race -- earning mad money at the expense of your health might be the way to a quick(er) fortune, but it's also the way to an early grave. What's the point of earning money if you can't enjoy it (while being healthy, or at the very least, still alive)?

Speaking of looking great at an advanced age, check out how Joseph Pilates looked in the 1960s:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pPilates82.jpg (8.8 KB, 198 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb pPilates82.jpg_thumb (21.0 KB, 0 views)
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #19

Whew! I just got back from a bike ride, and I attempted this "sprint 8" thing.

I didn't time my intervals, because I like to watch the road. But I basically attacked all the hills on my ride until I was winded and could feel the lactic acid burn.

After 4 reps, I wanted to cry like a little girl. But from about 5 on, the endorphins kicked in, so I'm feeling pretty good right now.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
A Japanese coach (Tapeta?) got great results for ther long-distance speed skating team by using about 6* intervals:* 20 seconds of all-out skating followed by 10 seconds of near-rest skating.*
This guys name is Tabata. I did this workout regularly on a Concept 2 Rower until I hurt my back in an auto collision last fall. It works for sure, but it is definitely not something you look forward to. Remember doing chained 40s in high school football practice? You did it, and then you puked? This is very similar. I could never make myself face it more than twice a week.

HA