Fountain of Youth

mb

Full time employment: Posting here.
I decided to post this after reading the "Die at 80" topic:

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200604/high-intensity-training-1.html

It is an article from Outside magazine suggesting that brief, very intense physical exercise can increase natural human growth hormone (HGH) production and presumably slow the aging process.

I recall hearing many years ago that HGH production starts to decline in the 20s but that exercise stimulates production but have never bothered to research it.
(I'm an aerobic sports addict anyway so I would probably continue to do it even if it was unhealthy!)

The downside?  It hurts and it is easy to get injured.  I relearned that this week when I pulled a hamstring while doing 400m running intervals (part of the normal routine).

MB

I've been doing this workout for a few months and it is one if not the best workout you can do. You should check out his book and do the full workout, its not just the sprint 8.
There is one thing, you really need to take it slow for at least 8 weeks or so.

That looks interesting, I might have to try that for a few weeks, I'm always looking for something to throw in my workout mix.

I had never heard of this exercise routine before, but have been doing something similar for a few years now.

I walk every day after work. Every second or third day, I throw in some sprints during my walking. I don't do the sprints every day because my joints scream at me too much if I try to do them more often (I'm 48).

Like the guy in the article, I run in my neighborhood. There is grassy stretch right in front of my house where I sprint (I've found that running on grass is easier on the joints). When I start to feel like I'm on the edge of a muscle strain or pull, I ease back on the exertion level. Most of the time I run at only 80 to 90% of my top speed because it's way too easy to blow something out that will take a long time to heal.

My family thinks my exercise routine is a little strange, but I do it because I really love the sprints and overall I just feel much better. Another upside is that I can eat pretty much anything I want and don't seem to put on any weight.

My knees can't handle the impact of running (they stiffen up immediately). I'll just have to try the "sprints" in a racewalking style.

Audrey

I do something similar, but on a bike doing intervals or mountain biking. The running is just too hard on the body for me anymore.

mb -

I have actually read about similar workouts in the past. As I recall, the article I read compared short, intense workouts to the marathon workouts. It illustrated the differences in the "look" of Olympic athletes - like the short distance, sprinters who are very muscular vs. the long distance runners who are very lean. I have also read that if you are working out to gain muscle and lose some fat you should do theses types of workouts. I may look into this workout, thanks for sharing.

I started doing a variant of this high intensity training (HIT) several years ago after reading an article about it. I wasn't trying to rase HGH levels, but just to maintain cardiovascular fitness without spending all day at it. The idea is that short, high-intensity training makes a high demand on the cardiovascular system (more O2, get rid of CO2 and lactic acid) and that the system adapts to this overload by bulding capacity. It is difficult and time consumng to get ths same effect using long, slow training (e.g. distance running) because the high overloads can't be achieved. In an analogy to weight training: which would likely produce the best muscle gains--bench pressing 20 pounds repeatedly for 30 minutes, or bench pressing themax you could for two sets of eight?

A Japanese coach (Tapeta?) got great results for ther long-distance speed skating team by using about 6 intervals: 20 seconds of all-out skating followed by 10 seconds of near-rest skating.
It's fairly easy to do this type of training outside when you run. In the gym, it works well on the eliptacl machine (it's easy on the joints) and the rowing machine (watch that back!). You can't do the routine on treadmills--it's too cumbersome to quickly adjust the machine (there's a good chance you'll end up like George Jetson ... "Jane, stop this crazy thinnnggg!")

It s a good workout, and t goes fast. I'm not entirely convinced it conveys all the benefits of slogging the streets for 30 mintes at a 10 min/mile pace , but I feel better for it and I'll actually stick with it, which is important.

Right now I'm experimenting wth a new program of raising my heart rate entirely through the use of coffee. I'll post my results.
:D

samclem

I'll bet surfing has this same anaerobic characteristics as these sprints, unless you're so good that it doesn't take much effort.  I know that when paddling out, and trying to beat the big wave that's about to break, I give 120% effort.  Wood splitting too, maybe.  

TromboneAl said:
I'll bet surfing has this same anaerobic characteristics as these sprints, unless you're so good that it doesn't take much effort.  I know that when paddling out, and trying to beat the big wave that's about to break, I give 120% effort.  Wood splitting too, maybe.  

I'm not sure of the health benefits of being slammed into the rocks, then whacked with a surfboard... :p

TA,
I have not been keeping detailed records, so I don't have any metrics that will wow folks. I don't have a weight problem (I lost a few pounds when I started doing this, but I wasn't too heavy to begin with). I enjoy eating and don't count calories, which is a big plus. My resting heart rate went down about 5-10 bpm over the last 3 years, but it's not startlingly low (now it's 70 bpm--it was too high during my "desk lump" days). I feel good.

Some guys enjoy running, or working out at the gym for 90 minutes. Thats not me. I want maximum bang for the time I invest in this, then I get on with my day.

RE: the new "coffee exercise" regimen--I'll be publishing a book and coming out with a line of clothes this fall

Thanks for the link. I go to the gym three days a week but I have only been doing weights. I get too bored on the aerobic machines so I have been relying on walking. The idea of "high gain, little time" is appealing if it works.

When I went to the gym this morning I gave it a try on some sort of ski trainer deal (eliptical?). I only got through four repititions, but the effect was invigorating -- I feel great an hour later. javascript:replaceText(' ::)', document.postmodify.message);
Roll Eyes

I will try it for a while and report back.

Don

samclem said:
In an analogy to weight training: which would likely produce the best muscle gains--bench pressing 20 pounds repeatedly for 30 minutes, or bench pressing themax you could for two sets of eight?

samclem

A reporter once asked Schwarzenegger whether he should do a few reps with a lot of weight or a lot of reps with a lower weight. Gov S replied: you do a lot of reps with a lot of weight.

Gov S also had some juice to go along with the workouts. The juice prevents muscle breakdown and allows juicers to do A LOT more when working out. Avg joes have to be aware of doing too much for too long. From personal exp I have done best with 5-8 reps with as much weight as possible.

mb thanx for the post. i used to do similar on bike and swimming but then i guess i forgot about it. watching mom's slow death has me, my brother & sil at our heaviest. will start to reincorporate sprints again.

interesting web site too. looks like lots of good info there.

The Other Michael said:
There's a lot of good exercise and nutrition info (especially for older atheletes) at

http://www.cbass.com/

He may be pushing 70 now, but he's been a competitive body builder and weight lifter much of his life, and is still in fantastic shape.

cheers,
Michael

Very impressive guy. The key to longevity in my mind is physical fitness -- a combination of aerobic and free weight training -- throughout your entire life. You just have to decide that it's important to you; more important than most everything else except your family. Unfortunately, many people put their careers first, even before their families, and most assuredly before their health/fitness. By the time they wake up to the need to be healthy/fit, their career-oriented lifestyles have already done significant damage. This is why the FIRE attitude is the way to go in the long run. Slow and steady wins the race -- earning mad money at the expense of your health might be the way to a quick(er) fortune, but it's also the way to an early grave. What's the point of earning money if you can't enjoy it (while being healthy, or at the very least, still alive)?

Speaking of looking great at an advanced age, check out how Joseph Pilates looked in the 1960s:

Attachments

• pPilates82.jpg
    pPilates82.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 198
  • pPilates82.jpg_thumb
    21 KB · Views: 0
Whew! I just got back from a bike ride, and I attempted this "sprint 8" thing.

I didn't time my intervals, because I like to watch the road. But I basically attacked all the hills on my ride until I was winded and could feel the lactic acid burn.

After 4 reps, I wanted to cry like a little girl. But from about 5 on, the endorphins kicked in, so I'm feeling pretty good right now. :)

samclem said:
A Japanese coach (Tapeta?) got great results for ther long-distance speed skating team by using about 6  intervals:  20 seconds of all-out skating followed by 10 seconds of near-rest skating. 

This guys name is Tabata. I did this workout regularly on a Concept 2 Rower until I hurt my back in an auto collision last fall. It works for sure, but it is definitely not something you look forward to. Remember doing chained 40s in high school football practice? You did it, and then you puked? This is very similar. I could never make myself face it more than twice a week.

HA

audreyh1 said:
My knees can't handle the impact of running (they stiffen up immediately).  I'll just have to try the "sprints" in a racewalking style.

Audrey

Audrey, the article implies that you can use any type of excersie. Running, swimming, biking, etc. I think that it is the intensity the counts. Also I (don't know but) suspect that it has to be something that uses large muscle groups. Thirty seconds of curls for example will give help your biceps but I doubt that it would activate the effect that the article describes whereas I suspect that 30 seconds of squats would do it.

Someone mentioned the book. I'll look into it.

I do a lot of aerobic stuff. Typically I do 4-5 days/week of LSD (long slow distance, either running, biking or in the pool) and one day of speed. i.e. Short fast intervals. But typically my shortest intervals of 60-90 seconds are a bit longer than those suggested in the article.

My plan is to add something a little shorter, similar to that described in the article once or twice a week and see if it has an effect. Probably using different sports. For example a set of 200m sprints on the track or 50 yard sprints in the pool would be about right for me.

MB

It sounds like you're overdoing it on the LSD. I'd stick to just one or two days a week... ;)

Cool Dood said:
It sounds like you're overdoing it on the LSD. I'd stick to just one or two days a week... ;)

Yeh, speed is often better than LSD.

Actually I do running races, triathlons and an occasional adventure race. If I'm trying to peak for a race I go through a (semi)planned, phased routine of recovery, building aerobic fitness, building anerobic fitness, and last building speed. If I don't have anything on the horizon I do pretty much what I feel like but that usually includes 2-4 days of running, a day of biking and a day of swimming and a day or two of lifting per week with other activities like roller blading, b-ball, tennis and kayaking thrown in every once in a while.

MB

MB

I had a nationally well known coach in high school track. This is very similar to the workouts he would have us do after our standard workouts.

Our standard workout was 8 to 12 miles running, including the first 2 miles run at competitive speed.

After the standard workout and a 15 minute rest, we would do intense sprints, usually about 8 or 9. They would all be 200 meters or 200-400-200-400, etc. There would be 90 seconds rest between each one.

Then I would go home and go to sleep :p

Kramer

You can almost do this workout on a treadmill, instead of upping the speed up the incline, it gets rid of the George Jetson syndrome. I tried it this morning at several different levels, it's not something I'd do on there all the time but if weather is a problem for a day then it will work.

Back
Top Bottom