Join Early Retirement Today

Free Five Years Today!
Old 03-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Free Five Years Today!

Today is the five year anniversary of gaining my freedom! This is what happened so far:

Personal -
I lost my wife of 29 years ten months before I retired. I met a lovely woman right before I retired and right before she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Two coworker friends were also diagnosed with cancer. When the offer came around I decided I had enough of living in the cubical, attending conference calls, and basically reapplying for my job every six months when we would get a new VP or EVP.
Travel has been my joy. In month 2 I bought an Amerirail ticket and left the dog and cat with my daughter for a solo trip around the US by train. DGF went through round one of chemo and surgery and things were looking optimistic.
The next spring DGF bought an old Toyota motorhome and we spent a few months getting it road ready. We took off to visit the Utah parks just as the government closed them. We spent two months on the road and at her family home in Northern California before I had to get back to my life and pets.
A few months passed and her cancer came back. She stayed in NY until round two was done then decided it would be best to move back to NorCal to be with her children. I spent the next few years flying and driving out there to help take care of her. Being retired let me spend the final few weeks she was dieing at her side in the Hospice Center.
I've traveled to most States now. Only four left to cross off the list. I've been available for friends and family and have enjoyed being able to help out when I'm needed. I have deferred seeing Europe as my dog travels with me most everywhere these days. When he's gone I'll be sad but be free to city travel.
Dear Daughter 2 had moved back home when DW got sick. I was able to help her get trained and licensed as a Cosmetologist and she is still here but looking for her own place now. The pet sitting has been a blessing. DD1 always did great in school and is a highly paid executive in the insurance industry and an 8 hour drive away.

The Plan -
Plan A was to move to a LCOL area, but between DGFs problems and the time in California and now my Mom's failing health I'm really living plan B by stayng in Upstate NY. Taxes are high, but overall it's not very expensive. Also, the LCOL area has been revisited a few times and I don't think I want to live there any more. This year I will qualify for the NY retiree income tax relief so the LCOL State is not as great a deal as it was.
The new Plan A is to stay here while I can help out DM and moving to a few places that are high on the list when she passes or moves to an assisted living home.

Finances-
I took my pension as a lump sum. With the pension money I opened an IRA and moved all but four years of money out of the 401K I was able to access under the rule of 55. Year one was paid for by my buy out and unemployment. I will have access to the IRA in two weeks. I was worried about my behavior and figured if I had access to only a small amount of my cash I'd be safer. It worked and with the good returns I will get even more than four years out of the 401k funds.
My AA was 90/10 to start. My Fido rep talked me down to 80/20 and the first market bump talked me into 70/30 and the next bump convinced me to go to 60/40. The 60/40 seems to meet my true risk profile. Portfolio is up about 30% even with the withdrawals of living expenses.
I had the expense of a new car and an old RV so far. This year I will need a new roof and fencing. Nice that the money is holding up well and I'm not worried. Plus I found that I will be eligible to receive a small SS survivor benefit this fall.

Future-
The plan was always to reevaluate at the five year mark. I assumed my finances or health would be in worse shape than it was five years ago and am surprised to find myself in better financial shape and in better health than I expected.
I am going to up my spending by 10% or so if I find anything I want to buy, plus I paid off the mortgage last month so that frees up a bit of cash too. I need to lose a good amount of weight but otherwise my health remains good.
I really hope to find a good woman to spend my time with. I've been online dating but it's hard to find someone compatible and is also free.
The dog and I will be traveling and camping for the next few years while he's still able. We need to knock North Dakota, Mississippi, Alabama, and Alaska off our list.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #2

It's also 5 years for me! I've had a completely happy 5 years. My condolences on your 2 great losses. But it appears that overall you are happy and content. And, you seem to have a highly commendable spirit that helped you through the rough patches.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I really hope to find a good woman to spend my time with. I've been online dating but it's hard to find someone compatible and is also free.
Don't give up....they are out there...I found one, or should I say "We found us".

Good luck....you're due some!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #4
Administrator

Sounds like a bittersweet journey so far, with ups and downs, but your positive attitude sure helps. Thanks for sharing that.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sounds like a bittersweet journey so far, with ups and downs, but your positive attitude sure helps. Thanks for sharing that.
+1.
Best wishes in your travels - - - and your journeys.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
+1.

Best wishes in your travels - - - and your journeys.

+1
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
It's also 5 years for me! I've had a completely happy 5 years. My condolences on your 2 great losses. But it appears that overall you are happy and content. And, you seem to have a highly commendable spirit that helped you through the rough patches.
+1 on everything.

I'm coming up on 5 years. So happy not to be at Megacorp. Very grateful for my life.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #8

May the heartbreaks be behind you and may the next five years see double of all the good time of the first five !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #9

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations on 5 years of freedom. I’m sorry about your wife and GF, and your mom. One of the benefits of early retirement is the ability to spend quality time with loved ones in need. You sound like a good guy.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Dear Gravity, You have had some journey, and have certainly helped your loved ones along they way. Wishing you all the best going forward.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am also sorry for all of the losses in your life. But don't give up on the online dating sites. My DH and I met through Match.com, and we have been married for 11 years this year. I was 55 years old, and he was 53. We both had been married before, but we are so happy together now. We both met LOTS of people that weren't the "fit" we were looking for, but believed love was possible again. It can get tedious for sure, but good stuff can happen when you keep trying.

I wish you well.