Join Early Retirement Today

freshman year done
Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

freshman year done

well I did it I finished my freshman year of retirement. I was worried that I would run out of stuff to do...not the case. I learned that the stress I always blamed on my job was really in me, now that I know that I can deal with it..you know why ? am I worked up about the coffee maker not making perfect coffee...thats just silly.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Me too, FWIW here's most of what I concluded after a year (in a recent note to friends & family)...
While it seems like an eternity to me, a few close friends & family pointed out over the weekend that it’s been 1 year since I retired.

Fortunately retirement has been mostly as I expected. Rather than focus on any one activity (you read about people who only want to play golf or fish – I’d get bored quickly following a narrow path), I find that I’m just doing all the things I truly enjoy more deeply than I could before. Sailing, studying investing / economics/ politics / spirituality, reading, cooking/foodie, exercise (walking & cycling), playing guitar, internet forums, researching our final relocation, conservation, photography, improving our home & yard and a few new pursuits. Having the time to do more things really well can be surprisingly satisfying, I’d almost forgotten.

While I don’t miss the mechanics of being a [job title] (shiver), I do miss the daily interaction with so many great people at [MegaCorp]. None of my close friends have retired yet, and retirees my age are scarce. So I’m out and about meeting new people in all sorts of places, which has been good for me.

[DW] and [Ddog] (our ancient Sheltie) are both doing well thank goodness.

I doubt I’ll be aware of my 2nd anniversary in retirement, but I hope this note finds you doing great personally and professionally. I leave you with the same wishes I did 1 year ago.

I hope you flourish in every aspect of your lives, and your best aspirations come to pass. I also hope you find your inner strength when the inevitable obstacles arise – may they be few. And I hope you will resolve to give yourself these important gifts:
· excellent health - stay active, body & mind
· financial freedom - live (well) below your means no matter what your income, and most of all
· real, enduring happiness - the kind that can only come from within, you can’t buy it.
“The most important things in life aren’t things.” Anthony J. D’Angelo
“You can never get enough of what you don’t need to make youhappy.” Eric Hoffer

Live deliberately. Peace.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations, ducky911! And great letter, Midpack!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Having the time to do more things really well can be surprisingly satisfying, I’d almost forgotten.
+1

I never thought about it that way, but this rings very true for me. Thanks for the "ah-ha"
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My first year of retirement I ODed on golf, played at least five days a week, sometimes 36 or more holes a day. It actually got to be almost like work and the frustrating thing is I could never break 80. Backed off and now play maybe once or twice a week and enjoy it so much more. Like one poster stated, the great thing is having the time to do all the things you want, and in as much depth or detail as you desire. And it helps immensely having a diverse set of hobbies and activities so that nothing gets too routine or boring. Just my perspective after seven years of a wonderful retirement experience so far.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne
My first year of retirement I ODed on golf, played at least five days a week, sometimes 36 or more holes a day. It actually got to be almost like work and the frustrating thing is I could never break 80. Backed off and now play maybe once or twice a week and enjoy it so much more. Like one poster stated, the great thing is having the time to do all the things you want, and in as much depth or detail as you desire. And it helps immensely having a diverse set of hobbies and activities so that nothing gets too routine or boring. Just my perspective after seven years of a wonderful retirement experience so far.
If you want to break 80, Frayne, do it the easy way like I do. I would always shoot around 80 and always have a couple of blow up holes. Now we mostly play 1 man scramble. Always shooting under par now, with no blow up holes!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote