Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my town there is a classic rush hour around 5 PM. But traffic is also pretty intense at other times of day. I can't find an actual window of "low volume", except maybe 10 PM to 4 AM. Occasionally there is low volume outside that window. Just way too many people have discovered my town, moved here, and are clogging up the roads. I long for the good old days when the roads here were empty and we had about 50% fewer traffic lights.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where I work, many are watching Google maps, studying the time results as the roads turn redder between 3 and 6. There are opportunities, but not many, to trim time from the commute. For 20 miles, mine is 45 minutes on average.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:16 AM   #23

Last week it took me an hour to go the 8 miles to work. .... this week I'm off until whenever I decide or forever
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #24

A year before I was ready to ER, the company I w*rked for moved operations 18 miles further away. That move increased my commute from 10-15 minutes to 50-60 minutes. The commute was a big factor in my decision to ER. If we were still at the old location I may have stayed OMY.

There are times now, when the weather is nice and I can do some of my errands via bicycle, when the car doesn't move for 5-7 day stretches. That's fine with me[emoji4]
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:42 AM   #25

I never had nearly the same problem with traffic as many are posting. It was frustrating enough with all the lack of attention that drivers have whether during rush hours, from tourists, or during holidays. It is, however, more that just frustrating when riding a motorcycle. Living at the edge of the east coast there is a compound effect with beach traffic from the town folks especially during the summer. But now with school in session and the weather getting cooler the traffic in and out from the beach has settled into more predictable hours and I can be more selective on my driving times. That has been a nice luxury for the past few years.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

And it's not just the rush hours starting around 3 PM here on Long Island. It often runs until well after 7 PM. Last night, I was out and drove about 10 miles, leaving my place around 7:30 PM. It took about 40 minutes to go those 10 miles. I had to bail on the parkway because it was not moving more than 20 mph and often was stopped completely. Even the return trip around 11 PM was no picnic because they were repainting some of the lane markings, closing one of the 3 lanes in spots, causing minor delays.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Traffic is likely the thing that will jolt me out of my OMY syndrome.

In RDU, I find Fridays are usually not the worst since people slip out early. Tues-Thurs are the worse.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I never had nearly the same problem with traffic as many are posting. It was frustrating enough with all the lack of attention that drivers have whether during rush hours, from tourists, or during holidays. It is, however, more that just frustrating when riding a motorcycle. Living at the edge of the east coast there is a compound effect with beach traffic from the town folks especially during the summer. But now with school in session and the weather getting cooler the traffic in and out from the beach has settled into more predictable hours and I can be more selective on my driving times. That has been a nice luxury for the past few years.
Cheers!
The amount of phone gazing is alarming. I mean, really alarming. It is no surprise that we see so many rear end collisions on our interstates when traffic has just a small slow down.

I don't ride a motorcycle, but have friends and family who do. They've had some bad incidents that woke me up to look for the cycle. The "shaker lights" and "loud pipes" actually don't bother me like they used to now that I have a different perspective.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #29

I have a 34 mile commute that routinely takes an hour and a half each day. The good news is I'm ERing very soon so only have to drive in 10 more times! Once we are retired, I don't intend to go near the traffic. We live in a self contained small city within LA area so I shouldn't have to go too far after ER.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #30

I've fixed traffic woes by coming in earlier and earlier and leaving later and later... Commuting to downtown Nashville isn't bad if I leave by 6:00 a.m. and after 7 p.m. Usually avoid hitting my brakes on the 18 miles of interstate--except maybe 1-4 times a month. Weekends are much easier unless NFL game or big musical events by the office.

Much easier than LA, ATL, Chicago, etc. BUT, the workday has definitely expanded over the years as a result of traffic evasion. Looking forward to not worrying about it.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The amount of phone gazing is alarming. I mean, really alarming. It is no surprise that we see so many rear end collisions on our interstates when traffic has just a small slow down.

I don't ride a motorcycle, but have friends and family who do. They've had some bad incidents that woke me up to look for the cycle. The "shaker lights" and "loud pipes" actually don't bother me like they used to now that I have a different perspective.
I learned at a young age how invisible I became on two wheels.

Phone gazing I can't stand it. Where we lived it's legal to text and drive if you are over 21!

What? I'm positive the last person who rear ended me was texting, FB or whatever when they failed to stop. I wonder how the other few hundred drivers on I70 managed to do so?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #32

The sole reason we moved from near Washington, D.C. to WV was the traffic. Our commutes weren't that bad, mine was 15-20 minutes and DW's was 20-25, but it was the issue of having to plan our entire lives around the stupid traffic. I'd go grocery shopping at 7:00 AM Sunday morning when the store opened for example just to avoid having to deal with the traffic. I started buying stuff online instead of going to local stores to avoid the traffic.

A fond dream is that that when the stupid moronic idiot imbecile politicians who allowed that to happen is that when they pass on the devil makes them sit in traffic for all of eternity. With full bladders.

BTW, I don't blame the traffic engineers, they know how much traffic a given road can carry. I blame the politicians who allow overbuilding and not funding adequate roads.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I dislike driving through Atlanta due to the traffic, it STOPS so much.

Around here, I like others avoid the rush hours and have found I have a slight dread at driving 20 miles, due to traffic situations or construction that I no longer know about so it's a surprise.

The texter's make me look in the rear view mirror when I'm going to brake/turn, as I want to know should I brace myself
I'm thinking of hooking up a horn/beeper to my brakes so everytime I brake they get a toot to look up.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #34
Confused about dryer sheets

Lately I've been looking in my rear view mirror every time I brake too, because I just don't have time for somebody to rear end me so I'd rather drive for me and them [emoji19]. And I really thought Washington, DC had bad traffic until I had training in Atlanta. Coming from the airport late one evening to go North was still just as bad.
MissGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I've been caught in some nasty traffic during the last few months in Seattle, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, London and Dublin. Tough to say which one was the worst, but Chicago wins the award during big snow storms.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I've been caught in some nasty traffic during the last few months in Seattle, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, London and Dublin. Tough to say which one was the worst, but Chicago wins the award during big snow storms.
Atlanta wins for worst traffic during snow storms
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

There are some negatives living in a small town. Five o'clock traffic is not one of them. The drive home was 10-15 minutes tops. Main thing I have to deal with around here is working around school hours. A high school is nearby so early and mid-afternoon traffic can be congested. But even that doesn't compare to people dealing with Atlanta's rush hour.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #38

Traffic in the Seattle area is so bad that when DH and I looked for a house 13 years ago, our main requirement was that it be within 10 miles of both of our workplaces. I got the better end of the deal, 1.5 miles from my work. He's 7 miles away, but he retired this year (at 57).
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
We usually avoid certain highways between the hours of 10 and 2 as well.
If you have to avoid certain highways in that timeframe, I assume you only drvive between midnight & 4 am. 10-2 is as about as good as it gets during daylight most places.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Atlanta wins for worst traffic during snow storms [emoji23]
You mean so-not-a-snow storm!