Join Early Retirement Today

Kneel in the presence of The Paragon!
Old 01-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kneel in the presence of The Paragon!

There isn't anything complicated about wealth.

It's simply an indisputable law that anyone with less than (insert your name here) was just irresponsible, and anyone with more than (insert your name here) was just lucky. (insert your name here) alone represents the standard for hard work, diligence, virtue and wisdom.

What could be fairer or more self-evident than that?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've had people we don't know all that well get upset when they found out we retired early. I guess that means they are no where close themselves to retiring early.

Our solution has been to hang out with people from the senior centers even though they are all older than us. They are all retired themselves so they kind of wonder about our ages but nobody is resentful about it. I think they kind of enjoy having some younger members.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #203
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
There isn't anything complicated about wealth.

It's simply an indisputable law that anyone with less than (insert your name here) was just irresponsible, and anyone with more than (insert your name here) was just lucky. (insert your name here) alone represents the standard for hard work, diligence, virtue and wisdom.

What could be fairer or more self-evident than that?
Heh heh!
jriemerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I snicker to myself when I hear the 'poor me' or the 'your so lucky' noise from folks who simply made bad financial decisions or ate themselves into poor health, diabetes etc.

Just more instances of people trying to blame others for their self inflicted problems.
Some people will hate you because they see you enjoying the success they don't have from the work they haven't done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
But when it comes to siblings it just seems like if you have more money than them they want you to either suffer from guilt or displeasure or they want you to drown in the same suffering mode they are in.
My wife's family is exactly like that. They all had a great relationship with my wife as long as they believed they had more than her (us). As soon as it was obvious that wasn't the case, the relationships deteriorated quickly. Just like kids, everyone is happy with their single scoop ice cream cone until they see their brother / sister with two scoops. Fortunately, I've reached a point in my life where I know there will always be someone else with more scoops of ice cream than me, so I'm grateful at this stage of my life to to have "enough".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I have a different personality. Making people feel uncomfortable doesnt, in the long run, make me feel better.
Well said, sir!
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

I have a couple of family members who liked to patronize me when I didn't have anything, and resented me after I acquired a bigger, nicer house. Remarks were passed about people who are "house-poor," have their "priorities" messed up, etc. They had no way of knowing we were not house-poor, since we were otherwise frugal, drove old cars and so on. We think they had just gotten comfortable with looking down on me, and resented not being able to do that any more.

Most of my family members are OK. They have enough for themselves, and don't care how much/little others have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Some people will hate you because they see you enjoying the success they don't have from the work they haven't done.

My wife's family is exactly like that. They all had a great relationship with my wife as long as they believed they had more than her (us). As soon as it was obvious that wasn't the case, the relationships deteriorated quickly. Just like kids, everyone is happy with their single scoop ice cream cone until they see their brother / sister with two scoops. Fortunately, I've reached a point in my life where I know there will always be someone else with more scoops of ice cream than me, so I'm grateful at this stage of my life to to have "enough".

Well said, sir!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #206

And in the meantime, the S&P500 continues it's sharp upwards streak today.............

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
+1 the birth lottery pretty much determines your starting point in life. Being born in the United States is definitely a big plus.
I agree with this, anyone who was born in the United States was born on third base, whether they realize it or not.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #208
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I agree with this, anyone who was born in the United States was born on third base, whether they realize it or not.
True that. Or born in the northern hemisphere, for that matter.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriemerm View Post
Um, I wouldn't go that far. I don't think someone born in Afghanistan or North Korea was born on third base.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #210
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Um, I wouldn't go that far. What about someone born in Afghanistan?
Agreed, there are exceptions. As there are in the U.S. But in general and on average, residents of the northern hemisphere are immensely more affluent than those of the southern hemisphere.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Probably a bunch of Australians getting mad right now...
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #212

Quote:
Agreed, there are exceptions. As there are in the U.S. But in general and on average, residents of the northern hemisphere are immensely more affluent than those of the southern hemisphere.
Really? According to Wikipedia, 90% of the world's population lives in the northern hemisphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Hemisphere

I would hardly say that 90% of the world's population was born on third base.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #213
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Really? According to Wikipedia, 90% of the world's population lives in the northern hemisphere.

Yes, really. "...in general and on average, residents of the northern hemisphere are immensely more affluent than those of the southern hemisphere."

Do you disagree?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #214

Quote:
Do you disagree?
I disagree that 90% of the world's population was born on third base.
90 more minutes to happy hour
Old 01-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #215

90 more minutes to happy hour

Quote:

It took me well into late adolescence before reaching third base.

It's Friday and I'm getting silly.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #216

Quote:
Yes, really. "...in general and on average, residents of the northern hemisphere are immensely more affluent than those of the southern hemisphere."

Do you disagree?
Probably would be easier to refer to first world countries, in order to be a bit more specific.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #217
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I disagree that 90% of the world's population was born on third base.
It's true in exactly the same metaphorical, comparative sense that it's true of the United States, as in your original statement. Many Americans were not born on third base, but on average far more were than in poorer countries.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Probably would be easier to refer to first world countries, in order to be a bit more specific.
As opposed to 'excrement indentations'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #219
Moderator Emeritus

Easy now.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #220
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have a couple of family members who liked to patronize me when I didn't have anything, and resented me after I acquired a bigger, nicer house.
Nice to hear my wife isn't the only one having to deal with that. Its a real shame and I know it hurts my wife a lot.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote