Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
.......I sure wouldn't be opposed to the government forcing people to put a portion of their money in some type of 401k in their own names drawable at retirement (in addition to SS)..........
I agree, except that I fear that if you gave people access to that money at retirement in a lump sum, it would soon be history, between their own ignorance and industries designed to part them of their money.

I'd favor some kind of a forced annuity similar to European requirements.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #222
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I agree, except that I fear that if you gave people access to that money at retirement in a lump sum, it would soon be history, between their own ignorance and industries designed to part them of their money.

I'd favor some kind of a forced annuity similar to European requirements.
I would agree with that. At that point you have done about all you can to protect them..... from themselves!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Don't quite know how to take your response.

I was speaking more generally and wasn't pretending to know the depths of a particular individual's psyche.
Sorry, I was being a presumptuous idiot. My apologies.

Ha
Old 02-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sorry, I was being a presumptuous idiot. My apologies.

Ha
Sometimes I think this could be my signature!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Sometimes I think this could be my signature!
Mine too. I sometimes forget how easy it is to be a "keyboard jockey" and dispense advice without know the particulars of someone's situation. Nevertheless, certain general principles of dealing with people transcend specific scenarios, as evidenced by the frequency they are encountered and discussed on this site.

Lots of good advice on this particular thread. I only hope that my friends (and family members) who aren't saving come to their senses before we end up having an awkward conversation about their spending habits/history.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Mine too. I sometimes forget how easy it is to be a "keyboard jockey" and dispense advice without know the particulars of someone's situation. Nevertheless, certain general principles of dealing with people transcend specific scenarios, as evidenced by the frequency they are encountered and discussed on this site.

Lots of good advice on this particular thread. I only hope that my friends (and family members) who aren't saving come to their senses before we end up having an awkward conversation about their spending habits/history.
Yes. A good thread. But I'm not sure the fact that family or friends have made poor financial decisions would necessarily result in such a conversation. (Other than my daughter or my mother whose financial affairs I look after) I don't know or want to know how other people have managed their financal affairs. Of course if they ask for advice I would give it. I just assume that everybody has things under reasonable control unless they tell me otherwise. The fact that I am retired and have done reasonably well is pretty obvious to our friends but that is certainly not our intent.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread has fascinated me. I've only been approached by two people asking sensible questions about early retirement since I decided to go. One asked a lot of good questions then made the statement (I'm recalling from memory) "you don't need 500K to retire". This is a guy that is married with one child at home. I said you might be surprised and it went right over his head. The other guy is someone older than me (60) and he is more on the ball but still hasn't done his homework. After these two conversations I decided to talk to the guys in my work group. My first question was do you have retiree health insurance? No one knew. I was grandfathered because I turned 50 three months before the deadline. I was flabbergasted and gave up.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #228
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmfromTx View Post
This thread has fascinated me.
Same with me.... more so about the responses one can give to the folks who spend freely with little concern about their financial future and yet take umbrage with their FIREd friends and relatives who won't loan them money.

We saved. We lived below our means. We don't owe anyone anything. Our retirement clothes are work coveralls, jeans, and whatever shirts Wal-Mart has on sale. We drive 14 and 15 year old cars. Like.. was it Nords?.... said - people just might avoid us because they're concerned WE might ask THEM for money.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #229
gone traveling

I've only been visiting this website for a month or so, and I'm really glad I found it because I feel that I "belong" here among kindred spirits. I have found to be true what I always sensed but never knew: that there are folks in every income range who live beneath their means and also folks in every income range who consistently live beyond their means. It is gratifying -- more than that, it is a daily inspiration -- to log on here and find people in every walk of life who have the same sense of financial responsibility that I aspire to for myself. I thank you all for that.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #230
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop Lawyer View Post
I have found to be true what I always sensed but never knew: that there are folks in every income range who live beneath their means and also folks in every income range who consistently live beyond their means.
And there appear to be many more of the latter than of the former.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

I'm feel fortunate today. Got the rest of my $400 I loaned a friend almost 6 weeks ago that originally was only supposed to be a 3 day loan. I didnt charge any interest, but a thanks, or sorry I was late 5 weeks with your money would have been nice, even though I got neither!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop Lawyer View Post
I've only been visiting this website for a month or so, and I'm really glad I found it because I feel that I "belong" here among kindred spirits. I have found to be true what I always sensed but never knew: that there are folks in every income range who live beneath their means and also folks in every income range who consistently live beyond their means. It is gratifying -- more than that, it is a daily inspiration -- to log on here and find people in every walk of life who have the same sense of financial responsibility that I aspire to for myself. I thank you all for that.
+1
Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm feel fortunate today. Got the rest of my $400 I loaned a friend almost 6 weeks ago that originally was only supposed to be a 3 day loan. I didnt charge any interest, but a thanks, or sorry I was late 5 weeks with your money would have been nice, even though I got neither!
Your friend is trying to tell you something.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Shame and embarrassment are tough.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #235
Moderator Emeritus

I know a number of people who have very little but they don't ask for money and it is like pulling teeth to find out if they are in a jam and need help.

Some people seem to believe that the have nots are always try to suck it away from the haves. Most have nots that I know keep their lips zipped about their circumstances, even if it means going without what I would consider a necessity. They just go day by day doing their best to get along.

FWIW.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #236
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I know a number of people who have very little but they don't ask for money and it is like pulling teeth to find out if they are in a jam and need help.

Some people seem to believe that the have nots are always try to suck it away from the haves. Most have nots that I know keep their lips zipped about their circumstances, even if it means going without what I would consider a necessity. They just go day by day doing their best to get along.

FWIW.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Shame and embarrassment are tough.
They should be ashamed, they made over 100,000K last year! And needing to borrow $400 from me. I was dying to ask, why but I didnt.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...........100,000K .. .........
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #239

Quote:

FWIW.
From everything we hear from politicians (not to turn this into a political thread), the "haves" are constantly being "volun-told" to pony up more for the "have nots." This is regardless of how the latter came to their position in life.

My friends have rarely asked for money; to the contrary, when I know a friend is out of work or being way underpaid at his/her current job, I pick up the tab for dinner, drinks, etc... and simply say that s/he can get the check next time. No need to comment on anything.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #240

Alas, one of my friends with financial problems is asking to talk with me about her situation. She says she really wants to do something. Nothing in her situation has changed except that now she has no car. She is saying she wants to sell her house but it is a wreck and probably needs to be fixed up for sale and she can't afford to do that. Maybe she could sell it as a fixer. It's in a desireable area where houses are still selling.

I am not a miracle worker, so, I suppose I will just listen and express my concern.

I've just been through the wringer with my oldest son who is horrible with his money and will be homeless soon. But that is a story for a different thread. This recession is really wearing me out.