From Mid-Life Crisis to Older, Wiser & Happier

Good article, thanks for sharing. While it's not all sweetness and light getting older, it's great not to give a damn about what people think.

:LOL:

Last edited:
Yes, interesting article. I experienced a similar U-shaped curve although my mid-40s slump focused more on stress over work than feelings of lack of achievement that the author describes. All is good now.

I couldn't identify with the article. Is it because I retired just before 40? Or because I'm only 55 now?

Fascinating article. While I don't think I ever suffered from a midlife crisis (although my wife might argue that me moving from acoustic to electric guitar in my 40's was a midlife crisis :p), the fact that even with declining health we may tend to look on our "golden" years as truly golden..

Retired mostly now, I'm in a bit of an odd mid life crisis... I'm single, but still feel trapped in a way. Certainly hoping this is not all there is. Wondering what can get me out of this funk.

While it's not all sweetness and light getting older, it's great not to give a damn about what people think.

Present company excepted, of course!

Enjoyable article that delves into the U-shaped happiness curve and gives us all reason for optimism. "Just wait until your 60's!"

The Real Roots of Midlife Crisis - The Atlantic

It's quite a long article. Hope he got paid by the word. Very good stuff in there, though. I had my "midlife reevaluation" (as I prefer to call it, to avoid the stigma around the word "crisis") around the age of 39. Although I recommitted to my career afterward, the reevaluation cemented my resolve to RE by 55. Bring on the greater happiness! :dance:

Interesting article. My own U curve started quite low in my teens, skyrocketed in my 20's, fell dramatically in my 30's, then even more in my 40's when my life collapsed. After 50 everything changed, such that now I've been happier with each year since 55. Working extremely hard the past 20 years to accomplish my goals has everything to do with that.

Interestingly, I have no regrets and am not only happy with where things are but where they're going (FIRE in 2/15).

Thank you for posting this. It is a well written article on a subject that I find fascinating. Apparently there is nothing unique about my situation: My happiness quotient likely would have matched the U curve in this article pretty closely until now. On a very positive note, my happiness should continue to increase from here until the end.

Another interesting bit from this which was new to me was the wisdom bits. I found the test mentioned online and am not particularly proud of my score on it. But, I am sure it is much higher than if I had taken it 20 years ago; so, maybe in another 20 year, I will be much wiser: wisdom.v01

I am in the bottom of the U curve. Things should look up, I hope.

It's surprising that the curve keeps going up until we die. Don't we get bitter as we age?

I am in the bottom of the U curve. Things should look up, I hope.

It's surprising that the curve keeps going up until we die. Don't we get bitter as we age?

No, not in my case. I've been (pleasantly) surprised at how much better each year has gotten after age 50, and especially after 55 (for me, anyway).

I wouldn't too much about being at the bottom of the curve. 18 years ago I was below the bottom of the curve :blush:. It's amazing what a little time and perseverance will do!

This is very encouraging. I feel like I bottomed out about 3 years ago. I used to think it was because my job became more stressful and I had grown tired of the hectic pace of the 2-income family. But maybe it is a natural process regardless of your job or lifestyle.

Good article, thanks for sharing. While it's not all sweetness and light getting older, it's great not to give a damn about what people think.

I must not be old yet. I still care what people think. I think if a person really doesn't care what people think he will be in some kind of trouble quickly. I am talking about actual physical people, not webizens. For example if a man doesn't care what women think, he will soon be getting a whole less hugging and kissing, even if he is married. I think there are few non-demented people who really don't care what people think, regardless of what they may say. In fact, many people actually act pretty much opposite to what they say they feel.

Ha

I think there are few non-demented people who really don't care what people think, regardless of what they may say. In fact, many people actually act pretty much opposite to what they say they feel.

Ha

So you are calling me demented or a liar? :mad:

Oh what the heck, I don't give a damn what you think! :LOL:

Last edited:
I don't know a thing about curves or happiness.

Personally... I have achieved most all the goals I set for myself... and now some days are great other days not so great.. and I can't tell you why. Maybe it's because I didn't set my goals high enough.

Am I wiser? Maybe. Is life as exciting as it used to be? Nope.

Maybe wisdom is overrated. :wiseone:

No, not in my case. I've been (pleasantly) surprised at how much better each year has gotten after age 50, and especially after 55 (for me, anyway).

I wouldn't too much about being at the bottom of the curve. 18 years ago I was below the bottom of the curve :blush:. It's amazing what a little time and perseverance will do!

Good to hear. I am encouraged.

Mentioned the article to DW (whom I suspect is also in bottom side of a trough) and her immediate reactions were, a) why isn't my mom not getting happier, and b) hard to believe people become happier as they age.

Good point - I also care what people think, especially if there is a chance that I might accidentally hurt someone. I just don't base my decisions on public opinion as much as I might have when younger. At some point you have to decide what makes you happy, and if the things you like are not everyone's cup of tea - you have to choose between public opinion and happiness. I made that choice and am happier for it.

Amethyst

I must not be old yet. I still care what people think. I think if a person really doesn't care what people think he will be in some kind of trouble quickly. I am talking about actual physical people, not webizens. For example if a man doesn't care what women think, he will soon be getting a whole less hugging and kissing, even if he is married. I think there are few non-demented people who really don't care what people think, regardless of what they may say. In fact, many people actually act pretty much opposite to what they say they feel.

Ha

So you are calling me demented or a liar? :mad:

Oh what the heck, I don't give a damn what you think! :LOL:
LOL. Well, it was certainly not my intention to say either of those things about you. Since you are still young, I assumed you were speaking in conditional sense. "If I were old, and if I didn't care what people thought, it might be freeing to not care what people thought."

It is also my belief that few women will reach this state of not caring. Women are just too socially attuned to get this out of it. At least while they still have even semi-normal brain function. Men? Some think that we are born out of it and pretty much stay there all our lives.:)

Ha

Maybe, aging people become happier b/c they care less. Caring leads to worries, worries lead to meddling, meddling leads to conflicts, conflicts lead to stress, stress lead to unhappiness, .... :(

Good article. I can relate to it. I'm not sure I hit a real low, but in my mid 40's while doing extremely well at work, I started feeling very restless. Spent the last ten years trying to figure out why and changing jobs/careers including a stint of 9 month trial ER. I really focused on preparing for ER during those years and finding my way back to what I enjoyed when I was younger. Retired in August this year and have found my way back to happy & content.

Good article. I can relate to it. I'm not sure I hit a real low, but in my mid 40's while doing extremely well at work, I started feeling very restless. Spent the last ten years trying to figure out why and changing jobs/careers including a stint of 9 month trial ER. I really focused on preparing for ER during those years and finding my way back to what I enjoyed when I was younger. Retired in August this year and have found my way back to happy & content.

I took a year sabbatical when I experienced something very similar when I turned 40. What I discovered during my sabbatical is that I really really enjoyed not working! Unfortunately at the time I did not have the finances to support not working indefinitely. I thus redirected all my efforts to achieving ER as the primary goal, which I did at age 52. Much, much better since then and I agree, it does get even better as age moves along.

I have no idea if I had an emotional midlife crisis in my 40s because other major life crises, of the tragedy type, were front stage.

My 40s was a hell of a roller coaster...first 9/11 and my Mom's passing due to undetected BC (my age 43), then my husband's passing due to a dissecting aortic aneurism (my age 46)...

Add to that w*rk stress and general life BS...damn, no wonder I felt worn out and FIREd at age 48.

I'm 56 now, and feel better than I ever did in the last two decades. FIRE has a lot to do with that of course. Some days I get a little unfocused on where my life has been and is heading today.

Those are the times that I head to my plant growing room, turn on the tabletop fountain, and do something simple and peaceful...I play with my plants.

It works! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom