Frugal living trend associated with ER

The winter is mild here, and one can survive very well with no heat at night. Right now, the lowest temperature at night is still 90-92F, and one would be miserable sleeping inside a vehicle.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that would be miserable sleeping inside a vehicle when it's 92.

About young full-time RV'ers who are not retirees and are still working, people who are curious can easily find blogs and vblogs about that lifestyle.

A typical young couple drove their motorhome to Alaska each summer to work seasonal jobs. They drove back to the lower states for the winter, and lived off the money that they saved. This lifestyle allowed them to have some freedom, and to be able to travel instead of being tied to a regular job.

It's not for everyone. And many go back to a regular lifestyle after a few years of adventurous living.

Our niece and her husband are doing this. They have PhD’s in physical therapy and decided to see the Western US while making and saving $$ as well as paying off their student loans. They’ve been doing this for over a year and a half so far, and have lived in Sedona and Yuma in AZ, Whidbey Island outside of Seattle, Medford, OR, & they’re leaving Oregon shortly to spend a few months in Alaska.

Their plan is to do this for a few years. They spend most weekends hiking and exploring the surrounding areas, and they are very happy with the lifestyle. They bought their camper trailer for $10K used. I’m really proud of them. Their marriage is off to a great start and they are building their financial future together as they have experiences they’ll cherish for a lifetime. Their plan is to move back to their home state and start a family after a few years.

I remember when living in a car/van was called "being homeless".

I guess times change...

Changed big time. Plenty of stories of people living in the bay area, working for google and living in vans in google parking lots.

Apparently people living in vans/campers in the bay area has become a massive problem. Streets are filled with parked campers...and those people have good paying jobs. They just cant afford the outrageous rent.

I know you were trying to be edgy with your post...but its a different world now. When you make 6 figures and live in a van...something aint right.

The "#VanLife" crowd are generally the younger folks that make fantastic, colorful videos of their everyday life with epic sound tracks, and drama filled pauses for effect. Their ultimate goal is to finance their nomad life with creating "subscribers" on YouTube, and inserting adds inside of their videos. I have seen plenty of these vids, and can say with certainty, that they are strive for the Martha Stewart (unatainable) romantic view of living life in a van....Ah to be young, pretty, and free !

Its certainly not glamorous, but im not hating on them for it. They're hustling, and probably making what most people do sitting in a soul crushing cubicle job.

Ive been into this one couple who lives on a nice catamaran and just travel around, making videos. Now, the catamaran is $1mil+ so they're not roughing it...but when they first started, they had far far less, and a crappy boat. They release a video daily so they're still working, just on their terms.

I personally love these sort of people. They're entrepreneurs imo. They tapped into a market that never existed before. More power to them.

I know you were trying to be edgy with your post...but its a different world now. When you make 6 figures and live in a van...something aint right.

Sorry, but the "something" that "ain't right" in this case is the individual.

Nobody making 6 figures needs to live in a van. That's a choice.

Yeah I would guess they don’t want to pay $4000 a month for a 1 bedroom apt.

Here the rents start at $2000 and that’s for an old, unrenovated, 500-700 sq. Ft. Place.

Most things are a choice, you are correct. Is it better to work paycheck to paycheck while renting, or living in a van a few years in a google parking lot and saving a lot? Only that individual can make that choice.

Again, times have changed. Younger generations are doing things different. The "american dream" isnt a white picket fence and a manicured lawn anymore. Different strokes for different folks. Its impossible for older generations to have that mindset.

Its controversial even talking about living a different way than older generations. They couldnt fathom living in a van, saving a lot and still being happy. It doesnt register.

... Is it better to work paycheck to paycheck while renting, or living in a van a few years in a google parking lot and saving a lot? Only that individual can make that choice...

On Youtube, you can find a couple who lived in a really small motorhome parked in Google's parking lot while he worked there. Google security guards let them be when he showed his badge. And they were not the only ones.

After doing this for a year or two, they saved enough money for a down payment on a home, albeit to be affordable it is quite a bit away from where he worked.

Most things are a choice, you are correct. Is it better to work paycheck to paycheck while renting, or living in a van a few years in a google parking lot and saving a lot? Only that individual can make that choice.
Choices.

Again, times have changed. Younger generations are doing things different. The "american dream" isnt a white picket fence and a manicured lawn anymore. Different strokes for different folks. Its impossible for older generations to have that mindset.
You talk of the mindset of "younger generations" and "older generations". Everyone is different. Not everyone in a generation thinks alike.

Its controversial even talking about living a different way than older generations. They couldnt fathom living in a van, saving a lot and still being happy. It doesnt register.

I agree with most of what you write here.

None of that has anything to do with "something ain't right".

What was the TV series years ago where a young doctor was living in a small motorhome in the parking lot? He was the first!

Yeah I would guess they don’t want to pay $4000 a month for a 1 bedroom apt.

Here the rents start at $2000 and that’s for an old, unrenovated, 500-700 sq. Ft. Place.

On our street alone and just in the past few months, I know of two families where the adult kids, married with children of their own, have moved in with the parents and one where the parents moved in with the adult kids. Two have remodeled to create a separate dwelling unit. RV living (more than a few weeks) is prohibited by law and I believe tiny houses would fall under that classification as well. But accessory dwelling units with a foundation are legal as long as they meet building codes. That seems to be one of our neighborhood's creative solutions to the Bay Area's high housing costs.

One can judge the housing density by looking at the cars parked on the streets. When I visit people in Southern CA, it is often difficult to find a spot to park.

Here, in Phoenix, people park in their driveway if not in their garage. I once had 5 vehicles when the kids were still with me. They were all off the streets. Very few people here park on the street. A subdivision near me does not allow overnight street parking, and the HOA strictly enforces it.

My sister-in-law in San Diego lives in a townhouse subdivision with few public parking spaces. People have to park inside their double garage, even during the day. Street parking is prohibited, and strictly enforced by towing. Her son visited her once, and got towed within 15 minutes. Guest parking spots are scarce. I believe it is a way to limit adult occupants in a house.

Last edited:
Wasn't it Trapper John MD? A sort of spinoff from M.A.S.H, I believe. Not a horrible sho

Yep. Trapper John, MD. The character who lived in a motor home was Gonzo. But really not a spinoff from M.A.S.H. at all. Just the name Trapper John was the same. I enjoyed the show, but I like medical shows.

Van living is not for us. We did run into a couple doing it when we were looking for a dog sitter on the road. Even for vacationing, we do not see that it is cheaper than modest hotels and would tie up some time.

One can judge the housing density by looking at the cars parked on the streets. When I visit people in Southern CA, it is often difficult to find a spot to park.

Here, in Phoenix, people park in their driveway if not in their garage. I once had 5 vehicles when the kids were still with me. They were all off the streets. Very few people here park on the street. A subdivision near me does not allow overnight street parking, and the HOA strictly enforces it.

My sister-in-law in San Diego lives in a townhouse subdivision with few public parking spaces. People have to park inside their double garage, even during the day. Street parking is prohibited, and strictly enforced by towing. Her son visited her once, and got towed within 15 minutes. Guest parking spots are scarce. I believe it is a way to limit adult occupants in a house.

Interesting. I didn't know until recently that there were municipalities that didn't allow street parking, to one degree or another. Every place I've lived has allowed it, at least on one side of the street. We're going to have to consider that for our next move.

2 car garages/driveways are standard here. Our short cul-de-sac has limited street space for parking as it is, made worse by some other recent events that would make for much lively discussion. :popcorn: Last month, we installed a 10.5 ft. wide driveway extension at a cost of $4,000 to eliminate any issues we had with parking, after we became a 3 driver household. Corner lot, side-loading garage, so it didn't take away a parking spot on the cul-de-sac, only on the intersecting street, where no one regularly parks. Yet.

Many people around here use their garages for storage, especially in larger homes that have basements. :facepalm: OK, well, most who do this will at least park 2 vehicles in their driveway...

...except for the new neighbors who moved in last fall. Garage packed full of stuff. Driveway perpetually stacked with stuff on one side right by the garage door. 4 vehicles for only 2 adult drivers. Motorcycle gets shuffled around in the driveway, but not driven. (If they really tried, they could get it inside the garage.) Still enough space for 2 more vehicles in the driveway. Yet I've seen their other 3 vehicles all parked in the street at the same time, with empty space in their driveway. :facepalm: They're not breaking any local laws, but really? They took up about half the available street parking here, all at once, unnecessarily! If we're still living here, it'll be interesting to see what happens when their 3 kids start driving.

Already there have been some minor confrontations among neighbors over the increasingly scarce parking. A few other neighbors put in smaller driveway extensions, because of limited lot space, and it still doesn't accommodate their parking needs.

So, you can't live in a van here. We've got no room for you!

(I have seen garages turned into living spaces and even a pop up camper parked in a driveway. Variations on living in a basement?)

Interesting. I didn't know until recently that there were municipalities that didn't allow street parking, to one degree or another. Every place I've lived has allowed it, at least on one side of the street. We're going to have to consider that for our next move...

It's not the city, but the HOA restrictions. Out of curiosity, I searched for and read the city ordinance. They allow car parking, but not commercial vehicles which are limited to a few hours. Motor homes, travel trailers are also limited but to a longer period. A passenger vehicle cannot stay in one spot on the street for too long, something like 72 hours if memory serves. However, they do not enforce unless a neighbor calls in to complain.

HOAs on the other hand can be very militant. They usually do not allow RVs even on the driveway, nor in the backyard.

... I have seen garages turned into living spaces...

Quite common in California. And that's why there's no parking space in the streets. A small 1,500 sq.ft. home may have 6 working adults in it.

Last edited:
Quite common in California. And that's why there's no parking space in the streets. A small 1,500 sq.ft. home may have 6 working adults in it.

When I lived in Thousand Oaks, CA, the city was in the process of developing a city ordinance related to the maximum number of people that are allowed to occupy a house by limiting the number of people per bedroom. This was because of the single family house rentals where it was obvious many people would be staying. I used to see upwards of eight or more cars parked at a house overnight.

I don't know if this ordinance was passed or, if so, how it was enforced, because I left CA at that time.

It's not the city, but the HOA restrictions. Out of curiosity, I searched for and read the city ordinance. They allow car parking, but not commercial vehicles which are limited to a few hours. Motor homes, travel trailers are also limited but to a longer period. A passenger vehicle cannot stay in one spot on the street for too long, something like 72 hours if memory serves. However, they do not enforce unless a neighbor calls in to complain.

HOAs on the other hand can be very militant. They usually do not allow RVs even on the driveway, nor in the backyard.

I feel lucky that our development doesn't have an HOA. In the spring I looked at a couple of model homes, just out of curiosity, and was told that they're establishing HOAs as a standard feature in new developments these days. Our city ordinances are similar to what you state. I think on street parking is limited to 48 hours w/o moving the vehicle, but not really enforced. Too restrictive, IMO. What about 3 day weekends?

There are some nearby municipalities that have ordinances prohibiting street parking overnight. The reason given on one website is that they believe it helps fight crime. If the police see a car parked on a residential street at night, they know it's someone who doesn't belong there. :confused: IMO, it creates problems for the residents, as many of these areas are older and have single car garages and driveways, with little to no room for expansion. Forget having overnight guests, too.

What I didn't mention in my last post is that an unknown neighbor made a valid complaint about the parking situation on our street that occurs due to a ridiculous situation from non-residents during the school year. In response, the city put up No Parking Here To Corner signs. just before Christmas. But they placed them 50 ft. from the corner, while state law only prohibits parking within 30 ft. Without going into the whys of it, this didn't solve the problem. It only took away 2 parking spots, one of which was in front of my house. When I called to city to complain about losing a parking spot - keep in mind, one of our kids was learning to drive and we'd intended for him to park in front of our house when he got a car - I was told that when they put our development in, that we weren't supposed to have street parking at all! (Yet, there are much narrower streets in the older neighborhoods that have street parking. :confused:) They've been letting it slide (for the last 23 years :facepalm:), but they could decide to take away our street parking if they get more complaints. Hence, why we decided to spend $4,000 to create more permanent private parking for ourselves. (I still have one more kid to get driving.) And why it annoys me to see neighbors taking up street space that they don't have to. I know that some neighbors are still making complaints, too. Not me. At least if worse comes to worse, we've got our parking needs covered.

I think that if you take up this nomadic life, it's worthwhile to spend more money to get a used class B for more comfort. There's a toilet, shower, kitchen, sink, fridge. Everything for one to live in comfort.

1_2321_2504903_89361921.jpg
+1 My wife and I went to New Zealand in March this year, and rented a smaller version of this, based on the Toyota HiAce van chassis. We had all of the above, but the van wasn't very powerful, and the bed wasn't all that comfortable. If you're doing it full-time, you want to be comfortable. We had a hard time stowing all of our adventure gear in the van, and were constantly shuffling gear to get to what we need. This Mercedes looks about the right size!

Apparently people are glamorizing living in vans on social media.

But it sounds like really young people who are pursuing the #vanlife.

They associate it with FIRE.

I know some here are doing a lot of RV travel, but not only live in RVs?

And we have that Blow the dough thread.

Sooo, I have a couple of friends I know who are living out of vans.

The first is a world travelling circus performer...he actually has 2 vans...one in Europe and one in the US. He does a lot of couch surfing and DW and I are trying to pin point when that becomes unsustainable for him and those he is surfin on.

He tries to occupy the periods of time he is not performing with looong activities which tells me, he is unfulfilled in a sense. For instance in the winter when performances slow, he buys a ski pass and lives out of the chalets and coffee shops.

Or like now, he is hiking the Appalachian trail, a 6 month adventure where camping as full time housing isn't really frowned upon as its part of that 'adventure'.

I'll tell ya, he has a lot of strange problems. Like once he lost his roof rack and storage container that was attached to it...and didn't realize it until he stopped for gas. (I'm guessing he no longer cruises with the radio blaring).
So he had to backtrack like 400 miles or something but was on a time crunch and couldn't make the backtrack since he was 'moving' soo he later ended up backtracking over 1000 miles and got lucky as some small town posted the storage container on its lost+ found facebook page. Normally for you and I it wouldn't seem too bad...so we lost some ski gear or clothing...he lost like 1/5 of his home when that storage container with all his possessions let loose.

That is just one example. All the cops, and vagrants he's dealt with is ridiculous . Then he stores $hit all over 2 countries...sometimes his van, or larger items that just don't travel well. And when he needs it he drives to that part of the country to get it . For instance...dental appointments...he drives to Denver.

Not a life for me.

I have a girlfriend who is also living out of her SUV. I feel bad as I can tell this is probably just a stepping stone to complete homelessness (without a car). Her car is currently in the shop and last I saw on facebook she was lashing out that nobody would rescue her or her tiny little doggy from the heat, lack of internet and electricity. She had been down in FL but I assume it got too hot in her car so she drove way north 1850 miles to escape. Problem is, we had a week of like unbearably hot weather up north so she really didn't escape what she thought she would in a sense.

I feel like both these friends are just constantly "fleeing" in there vehicles just as a survival mode. They would never admit to why they are in this situation. One has a Bachelors in Mechanical engineering, the other is an alcoholic so 2 different spectrums.

My friend who is is ~49 lives in his van in silicon valley. He's worked out the kinks of where he can park and for how long and he moves around from friends to friends depending on what social events are occurring. I love it whenever he is my neighbor for a few days and I can just have him come over to hang out on demand with a minute notice. :)

He finances it with the proceeds from his house that he owns in Silicon Valley and rents out, and doing intermittent programming gigs (he's an incredible engineer specialized in 3D graphics engines and tool chains for games) which he usually regrets because he doesn't really need the money and his time is irreplaceable. It's interesting to see, I wouldn't want the lifestyle, but I'm glad that he's happy and having fun with it. His current pet project, figuring out how to do perfect gourmet restaurant quality poached tea eggs using his tiny rice cookers that the van solar array powers.

A bunch of us appreciate that he is very available for house/pet sitting. :p Having a large social network of people who have more traditional housing arrangements certainly works out well for him, when he isn't off on adventures.

Back
Top Bottom