Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

But you can't say that they are always sitting down, eating, and gabbing.

Well, I am sure some groups do, particularly the older groups who no longer have the physical abilities. Hence, a younger RV'er who's interested in meetups might have to look around for a fit.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I forgot to make a point that some activities of RV groups as I described were what I observed through people's blogs. And not all RV'ers belong to groups. Most have a circle of RV'er friends made through the internet, which they later run across in their travel.

As an individual RV'er, you are free to be outgoing to make as many friends, or to be a loner as you wish. It is not any different than people who live in a stick home.

As I also described earlier, I read blogs of single RV'ers who were so isolated it would make me going crazy. I guess I am not introverted enough compared to these. But then, many of these introverted RV'ers reveal their needs for remote social contact when they often brag about a secret camping spot they have found that is remote, yet has good signals from a phone tower for internet access. Hah!

In short, even introverts need some contacts with others, whether they live in a stick home or a home with wheels that they drive to remote corners.

I travel without wireless internet access, and when I go crazy and need to get to a McDonald or a public library for access, it is for checking the market and portfolio to see how they are doing. But then, I am not in isolated places for weeks at a time, as I drive around sightseeing and not sitting in a chair contemplating my navel, or hiking and biking with just a dog for a companion. I have my sweetheart with me.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

After reading this thread, it dawned on me that if you wanted to hide your identity and become someone else, this might just be the way to pull it off.

Some friends (married males, old ones) of mine were discussing a while back if it is possible to just "walk away from it all" and never be found again as your old self. Like you really need to be gone, yet can't pull the trigger ().

I suppose you can get an RV, grow a beard, get a fake ID and just hit the road and stay there. Being an introvert would be an asset in this case. As a loner, just going on tour all the time, you could be technically gone....

But then again, you better have a few suitcases full of old $100's.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Depending on my romantic situation, or lack of same, I may very well be doing some single traveling, though not likely in RV form, since I think that's mostly outside of my budget. I am indeed an INTJ, and can do without loads of personal interaction, but I do need some.

I have spent time around various campgrounds over the years, and I'm fairly certain that I'd eventually be bored sh!tless, because I don't have that much in common with most regulars I've met while camping...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

About camping in the boondocks to disappear from society, yes it may be a good way, although one can buy a piece of land and erect a lean-to to live in a survivalist mode.

While searching for RV'er blogs, I ran across this man who started out living inside a large delivery van. Then, he bought a piece of land to park his van. Then, moving about in that van cost mucho diesel, so he added a truck. This is at 7000-8000 ft elevation, so it can freeze your b*lls off in the winter. So he erected a lean-to by digging into a hill, hoping to get more insulation than his van.

His blog stopped for a year or two. At the last update, he said he had moved back into civilization. I suspect that he went back to work also.

Anyway, if one is trying to run away from the laws, even if he deals entirely in cash, he still needs to register his vehicle periodically and to renew his driver license. Some fugitives have been successful in obtaining fake IDs, but do we know how that's done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
After reading this thread, it dawned on me that if you wanted to hide your identity and become someone else, this might just be the way to pull it off.

Some friends (married males, old ones) of mine were discussing a while back if it is possible to just "walk away from it all" and never be found again as your old self. Like you really need to be gone, yet can't pull the trigger ().

I suppose you can get an RV, grow a beard, get a fake ID and just hit the road and stay there. Being an introvert would be an asset in this case. As a loner, just going on tour all the time, you could be technically gone....

But then again, you better have a few suitcases full of old $100's.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Some fugitives have been successful in obtaining fake IDs, but do we know how that's done?
The age of technology has made this happen!

Yes, come to Houston and bring $200 in cash. You can buy a valid SS card, DL, Green Card, state ID. It's done all the time here. This town is full of people who are someone else. And some even collecting SS disability checks (and renewing DL'S).
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Ah. Then, armed with the new identity, our new full-time RV'er next heads towards Livingston, TX, a place well-known for RV'er to establish domicile for tax and legal purposes.

He can then head to NM, CO, or AZ where there's a lot of state and federal land for cheap camping. Most of TX is private land. Hard to find a place to camp without someone approaching you with a double-barrel, hopefully loaded with rock salt.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah. Then, armed with the new identity, our new full-time RV'er next heads towards Livingston, TX, a place well-known for RV'er to establish domicile for tax and legal purposes.

He can then head to NM, CO, or AZ where there's a lot of state and federal land for cheap camping. Most of TX is private land. Hard to find a place to camp without someone approaching you with a double-barrel, hopefully loaded with rock salt.
Hard to imagine that anyone would ruin their barrel with salt, not to imagine inviting the intruder to shoot them with good old fashioned lead.

Your fugitive had better just head for a cheap hotel in Houston after he gets his documentaion.

Ha
Old 11-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #29

Back to the OP's question - this summer we were at an RV rally with other folks who own the same make of RV and there were 3 women who were full-time solo RVers (out of about 50 coaches). I would say one was in her late 50s/early 60s and the other two late 60s/early 70s.

I think the important question that some of the other posters raise is to know what type and frequency of social interaction you would like and then figure out options for finding that while on the road.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We spent a year cruising the Bahamas on a sailboat. That community is very similar to the RV community. In fact many cruisers are also RVers.

Most boats had husband/wife crews or family crews (that was us). But there were some single solo sailors out there. All were male except for two. One of those was a female marine biologist who got paid to live on her boat and follow and track certain marine wildlife. She was about 40 and having the time of her life.

The single men had to really be extroverts and make concerted efforts to build relationships with all the married/family cruisers. Many of them did do that and some became friends of ours. But, if one was an introvert it would have been a constant social challenge. I assume with RVing, a similar dynamic will exist.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

NW-Bound, I can help with any questions about foreigners purchasing vehicles in the UK and Europe. Lots of American ralliers buy cars over there for the summer rallies (like the one we did) and it isn't too terribly difficult to get the registration sorted. Just need an address to use in the UK or whatever to put it in your name. Easy. The insurance isn't too bad either, if you have a car or conventional RV. Don't ask how hard it is to get insurance for a school bus, though! Let me know if you want to explore it further. Those adorable VW campervans are very compelling, that's for sure! Also, while expensive, shipping your RV to Europe for the summer is actually pretty common, and our local port does a banner business shopping them there and back.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Thanks!

I am not ready for this yet (health problem) but searched the Web and recalled that having an acceptable address there was the problem. About shipping the RV, yes I have seen people doing that, but I would need to get a smaller one for the roads there.

I will keep your advice in mind when the time comes to do this. Need to work on selling DW on this idea first.