Join Early Retirement Today

Garden Cart recommendations?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Garden Cart recommendations?

Hi all,
My co-workers gave me a cash retirement present, which I'm thinking of using to buy either one of those two-wheeled garden carts or an electric string trimmer. Consumer Reports did ratings on the trimmers last year. I haven't checked yet for garden cart ratings. Anyway, I thought I'd ask here too--does anyone have a cart or trimmer they really like or dislike? What do you look for in a garden cart? There are a number of different kinds available at a wide range of prices, and I don't really know which ones are good and which (if any) aren't worth the price charged.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #2

I used a garden cart like this for years, very durable, holds a lot of weight and is quite easy to roll. Stows on edge for easy storage.

Northern Industrial Yard Cart 48in.L x 29in.W, 400-Lb., 14 Cu. Ft. Capacity, Model# SP22106 | Yard Carts Wheelbarrows| Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #3

I bought an Agri-Fab 2 bike wheeled garden cart. They are extremely easy to push cuz they must be well balanced but only ON LEVEL ground. I thought I'd use it for firewood but where I was living it wasn't level ground, going up a grade loaded is just tough and impossible to hold back going down. That said on level ground they are excellent. I have the largest they made, this was in the mid 90's, and it holds a lot! I use it for certain things in the garden that require holding volume like holding shredded leaves for mulching and cleaning out the garden come fall but mostly I use a wheel barrow.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I recommend tha Kubota M5640 SUD
Old 05-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I bought an Agri-Fab 2 bike wheeled garden cart. They are extremely easy to push cuz they must be well balanced but only ON LEVEL ground. I thought I'd use it for firewood but where I was living it wasn't level ground, going up a grade loaded is just tough and impossible to hold back going down. That said on level ground they are excellent. I have the largest they made, this was in the mid 90's, and it holds a lot! I use it for certain things in the garden that require holding volume like holding shredded leaves for mulching and cleaning out the garden come fall but mostly I use a wheel barrow.
My yard is pretty flat, so I think this cart would work OK, but I didn't see a bike-wheeled cart on their website. Can you tell me the model number? Also, if you remember, what's the country of manufacture?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

As long as it has 2 wheels and isn't too big. You might want to think about a seat like this too. Mid West Garden Caddy Tractor Seat on Wheels: Gardening & Lawn Care : Walmart.com
Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I just delivered one of these and thought it was clever. A collapsible wheelbarrow.
New twists for fall tools - Chicago Tribune

Allsop Home & Garden - Original Garden Tools - Free Shipping on orders over $75
Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #8

I'm having a hard time finding what I have.

Here's something similar E-Z Haul Carts :: Perfect Balance & Durability

Look at this, Mine looks like the one on the far left but mine has a larger capacity Sites-Gardeners-Site

OK! This looks almost exactly like mine and I think mine is 14 cu ft capacity too. I bought it at Agway or Blue Seal in the 90's. Amazon.com: Precision Products 14-Cubic Foot Capacity Wooden Cart WC14: Patio, Lawn & Garden . BTW the front piece slides up and is removable so you can dump it or shovel from the front. This is a great cart, highly recommend it and this price is not a lot more than I paid years ago considering inflation!

If you google "bicycle wheel garden cart" you get hits and some are how to build them.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MY Stihl trimmer is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The cool thing about it is the ability to attach various kinds of tools on the business end. I use it about half and half with a string trimmer head and a brush cutter (blade) head. There is also a small chainsaw attachment which works beautifully.

I've used it a LOT for over two years now and it's still as good as new.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1

Gas trimmers are noisy and need some maintenance, but I just can't stand messing with a long extension cord. Besides, parts of my property are just too far from an outlet to make an electric trimmer practical, but your mileage will vary.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #11

As far as string trimmers I can't use them. I have one that is pretty new but not run in several years. The vibrations cause my hands and forearms get tingly in a few minutes and I'm not going to go down that road. No one sees the grass I don't trim with the string trimmer and so it goes.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #12

I like my old Toro 610 electric grass trimmer. Very light. But you can't buy it anymore. I was looking at Kmart a few days ago and they had a Black and Decker(?) electric (corded) with adjustable handle length, which felt comfortable. Only $29 or $19.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Anyway, I thought I'd ask here too--does anyone have a cart or trimmer they really like or dislike?
I dislike all my yard implements...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I dislike all my yard implements...