Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Start the count down, 9 work days left.......... A few folks have come out of the woodwork , trying to talk me out of leaving early. Was actually considering delaying , and that was a little upsetting... I would, if given the option of half time/half pay benefits. The city does allow this , if approved by management. I asked and got no as the answer..... I'm sticking to the July 11th end date , and feel just fine about it .

Lame Duck Status update: Was supposed to be given someone to train , never happened. The position may be filled at the start of the new fiscal year ( July 1st) but my spies at HQ report no applicants are being called to selection interviews yet. My field work is now dumped on my supervisor. Office work now is only special projects , that can be done at my office or HQ.

Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Congrats Lakewood. 9-days left would be a really great feeling. Enjoy!

WannabeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #23
As of one hour ago, I am officially un-employed. Sent out an e-mail blast within the department, turned in my badge, city id, and equipment. The union provided a "Retired" badge. Kind of un-climactic, just over.

Went to 3 small going-away lunches this week arranged by co-workers, as I did not want a big retirement party. I'm just not like that. Lot's of sad good-byes, as if I was dying ! It's not the end, rather it's the start of a new phase in life.

Many people, some I hardly know, are puzzled of how I could leave such a good paying job with just 12 years of city service, and can't fathom a retirement of just 25% of final pay. (2.16% @60) I guess, most are spending everything they make ,have little or no investments, and plan on doing at least 20 years, just for a higher pension. We have a great 457 plan, no matching, but doing 8 more years to get (edit) a 45% pension ? Not me.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #24

I can relate to what you are saying about the conventional wisdom among government employees. It seems very few are even thinking there is the option of retiring before age 62. It's crazy talk to suggest saving some of one's take home pay makes it possible to retire securely even one minute before 60, the "official" retirement age in our pension plan.

Kudos for you for finding your own path and following it.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #25
Congratulations! I can relate. Since I have told everyone that I'm leaving (retiring from military), they all ask what I'm going to do for work. When I tell them that I'm NOT going to work, they look at me like I have three heads. They just cannot fathom that an enlisted guy can actually retire at the ripe old age of 40!

I tell them it's all about choices, particularly how you manage your finances!

Sent From My Motorola Startac. Please excuse grammatical errors.

Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 @ The Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote