Join Early Retirement Today

Gave notice last Friday ( the 13th)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gave notice last Friday ( the 13th)

Sent an E- mail to middle management , they just today asked if it was for real. Management also thought that one mo. notice isn't very much notice. I asked how much notice they want , and didn't get an answer. I'm non-exempt, and a lot of others recently are giving only 2 weeks notice.

Can't draw a pension or subsidized retiree medical till next year. COBRA ppo insur. is about $605 / mo.

Plenty of qualified applicants on an eligible to hire list. Background check and medical can be done in 2 weeks . It takes up to a year from application, to testing , then being put on an eligible to hire list.

It does take a year or so for someone new to get up to speed. About 10% of new hires quit in the first 6 mo , even in this economy, and this is a gov. job with a defined benefit pension.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #2

However much notice you give, it's either not enough or too much. One month seems more than enough. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How much notice do you think they'd give if they had a layoff?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

For an non-exempt job a month is more than fair. They aren't suggesting an alternate timeframe because they realize that your offer is more than fair. If they want more time they should come back with an offer to extend that you can't refuse, but they won't.

My wife will be in the same situation when we retire in a couple of years. She has been hinting that the end is in sight but they keep giving her all these new jobs with no backup (it makes vacations "interesting"). She is non-exempt and planning to give them a month (or two weeks if they really tick her off) and, when she does it, there is going to be a major panic. I bet that they would be happy to let here telecommute part time after we move to Florida, if she wants.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was exempt, gave 2 weeks and a couple days. That's all Megacorp required to leave in ' good standing'. That only meant I'm eligible for rehire, not like I'm going back. I've seen too many other people give months of notice and get scr*w*d.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #6

My last day is tomorrow. I'm an exempt employee with megacorp.
I gave 2 weeks notice and that seemed fine. But 2 coworkers also FIREd in the last 2 months - so they set the standard.

My bosses boss called me in to make sure I wasn't leaving with sour grapes. He also let it be known I'd be rehired if I changed my mind.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #7

For non exempt that is more than enough notice. If they want you longer tell them you'll be happy to stay....at double your current rate of pay.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I gave two weeks and a couple of days.. Last day is the 30th and it can't get here soon enough. I had my boss' boss and my boss' boss' boss call to try to dissuade me. I told each of them it would have to be an eye opening offer for me to stay...

If they ever get around to asking me a number, I'm going to send them this..
Attached Images
File Type: png tumblr_m99q0hKr8P1qknseao1_500.png (236.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #9

First off, Friday the 13th is a *great* day to give notice. The irony of it is too funny.

I agree with the others, your 1 month notice is very fair and mgmt has no case to feel you are being unreasonable. In fact most larger companies 2 weeks is all that is required. If they can't get by without you, then time for them to make it worth your time to stick around longer.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #10

Had a short chat today. Was asked about alternatives, I told them a half time / half pay schedule, or one year unpaid leave, both impossible. My section is grossly underfunded and understaffed . They need a full time body at the desk and in the field. I'm civil service , so If I took a leave, they couldn't hire a replacement , so off I go in a few weeks.

They did tell me I can cancel any time until I accept the final paycheck.

They are assigning someone recently hired in another well funded section to work with me for 2 weeks , so this "New Guy" is likely the poor soul selected for this slot. If they had another trained body ready, I would no regrets leaving this Friday.

Because I am leaving before the earliest retirement age , I forfeit the customary 50% cash payment for unused sick leave. A good size chunk of money,= to 10 weeks pay, but I'm done

Even double pay would not keep me there for another 8 mo. , Maybe a million $ would.

Like Joe Dominguez said : Your money or your life................
Old 06-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
First off, Friday the 13th is a *great* day to give notice. The irony of it is too funny.
Oh, that's too funny. I never thought of that.

There's a Friday the 13th in Feb 2015 when I plan on leaving. Although, I'm still giving some thought to letting them know early. Not because I care to give them as much notice as possible, because I don't care. But because if I gave them notice around Nov or Dec, there's no way they could hire somebody to backfill me over the holidays anyway, and it would greatly prevent the chances of another big nasty project from getting dumped on me before I leave. It would give me 2 or 3 months of "lame duck" status while I basically do some knowledge transfer before walking out the door. Hell, even if they did get rid of me early, I wouldn't really care. It wouldn't hurt me too bad financially.

But giving notice on Friday the 13th might just be too good to pass up. I'd love to see the look on their faces as I turned in a resignation letter on a Friday the 13th - LOL.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Notice on Friday the 13th, last day April 1st!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #13

Do you people really say "close enough for government work"?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Do you people really say "close enough for government work"?
Only when dealing with horse shoes and had grenades.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #15

I have been advanced to "Lame duck" status .

Was told to wrap up any file that can be closed by the end of the day. Computer access is now limited to e-mail, and was reminded that I have plenty of sick leave if I am not feeling well . I think they would assign me to desk duty at home, but central personal would have a fit .
Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Congrats. "Lame Duck" status is a badge of honor.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Notice on Friday the 13th, last day April 1st!

Friday June 13th was also a full moon day. Just sayin'...
Old 06-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Friday June 13th was also a full moon day. Just sayin'...
Didn't even occur to me at the time it was F.T.T., but full moon too ? I may have accidentally altered the space-time continuium .
Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Didn't even occur to me at the time it was F.T.T., but full moon too ? I may have accidentally altered the space-time continuium .
At least your own! Congratulations on attaining lame duck status and being a short timer. It will only get better as the days go by

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

For an non-exempt employee I think 1 month is a respectable amount of notice.

I was exempt and gave 3 months notice. However, most of my duties were transferred within the first 2-3 weeks leaving me with few responsibilities for the remaining couple of months.