Gave notice last Friday ( the 13th)

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sent an E- mail to middle management , they just today asked if it was for real. Management also thought that one mo. notice isn't very much notice. I asked how much notice they want , and didn't get an answer. I'm non-exempt, and a lot of others recently are giving only 2 weeks notice.

Can't draw a pension or subsidized retiree medical till next year. COBRA ppo insur. is about $605 / mo.

Plenty of qualified applicants on an eligible to hire list. Background check and medical can be done in 2 weeks . It takes up to a year from application, to testing , then being put on an eligible to hire list.

It does take a year or so for someone new to get up to speed. About 10% of new hires quit in the first 6 mo , even in this economy, and this is a gov. job with a defined benefit pension.

However much notice you give, it's either not enough or too much. One month seems more than enough. Good luck!

For an non-exempt job a month is more than fair. They aren't suggesting an alternate timeframe because they realize that your offer is more than fair. If they want more time they should come back with an offer to extend that you can't refuse, but they won't.

My wife will be in the same situation when we retire in a couple of years. She has been hinting that the end is in sight but they keep giving her all these new jobs with no backup (it makes vacations "interesting"). She is non-exempt and planning to give them a month (or two weeks if they really tick her off) and, when she does it, there is going to be a major panic. I bet that they would be happy to let here telecommute part time after we move to Florida, if she wants.

I was exempt, gave 2 weeks and a couple days. That's all Megacorp required to leave in ' good standing'. That only meant I'm eligible for rehire, not like I'm going back. I've seen too many other people give months of notice and get scr*w*d.

My last day is tomorrow. I'm an exempt employee with megacorp.
I gave 2 weeks notice and that seemed fine. But 2 coworkers also FIREd in the last 2 months - so they set the standard.

My bosses boss called me in to make sure I wasn't leaving with sour grapes. He also let it be known I'd be rehired if I changed my mind.

For non exempt that is more than enough notice. If they want you longer tell them you'll be happy to stay....at double your current rate of pay.

I gave two weeks and a couple of days.. Last day is the 30th and it can't get here soon enough. I had my boss' boss and my boss' boss' boss call to try to dissuade me. I told each of them it would have to be an eye opening offer for me to stay...

If they ever get around to asking me a number, I'm going to send them this..

Attachments

• tumblr_m99q0hKr8P1qknseao1_500.png
    tumblr_m99q0hKr8P1qknseao1_500.png
    236 KB · Views: 30
First off, Friday the 13th is a *great* day to give notice. The irony of it is too funny.

I agree with the others, your 1 month notice is very fair and mgmt has no case to feel you are being unreasonable. In fact most larger companies 2 weeks is all that is required. If they can't get by without you, then time for them to make it worth your time to stick around longer.

Had a short chat today. Was asked about alternatives, I told them a half time / half pay schedule, or one year unpaid leave, both impossible. My section is grossly underfunded and understaffed . They need a full time body at the desk and in the field. I'm civil service , so If I took a leave, they couldn't hire a replacement , so off I go in a few weeks.

They did tell me I can cancel any time until I accept the final paycheck.

They are assigning someone recently hired in another well funded section to work with me for 2 weeks , so this "New Guy" is likely the poor soul selected for this slot. If they had another trained body ready, I would no regrets leaving this Friday.

Because I am leaving before the earliest retirement age , I forfeit the customary 50% cash payment for unused sick leave. A good size chunk of money,= to 10 weeks pay, but I'm done:yuk:

Even double pay would not keep me there for another 8 mo. , Maybe a million $ would.

Like Joe Dominguez said : Your money or your life................

Last edited:
First off, Friday the 13th is a *great* day to give notice. The irony of it is too funny.

Oh, that's too funny. I never thought of that.

There's a Friday the 13th in Feb 2015 when I plan on leaving. Although, I'm still giving some thought to letting them know early. Not because I care to give them as much notice as possible, because I don't care. But because if I gave them notice around Nov or Dec, there's no way they could hire somebody to backfill me over the holidays anyway, and it would greatly prevent the chances of another big nasty project from getting dumped on me before I leave. It would give me 2 or 3 months of "lame duck" status while I basically do some knowledge transfer before walking out the door. Hell, even if they did get rid of me early, I wouldn't really care. It wouldn't hurt me too bad financially.

But giving notice on Friday the 13th might just be too good to pass up. I'd love to see the look on their faces as I turned in a resignation letter on a Friday the 13th - LOL.

Notice on Friday the 13th, last day April 1st!

I have been advanced to "Lame duck" status :blush:.

Was told to wrap up any file that can be closed by the end of the day. Computer access is now limited to e-mail, and was reminded that I have plenty of sick leave if I am not feeling well . I think they would assign me to desk duty at home, but central personal would have a fit .

Last edited:
Congrats. "Lame Duck" status is a badge of honor. :D

Didn't even occur to me at the time it was F.T.T., but full moon too ? I may have accidentally altered the space-time continuium :nonono:.

At least your own! Congratulations on attaining lame duck status and being a short timer. It will only get better as the days go by :LOL:

For an non-exempt employee I think 1 month is a respectable amount of notice.

I was exempt and gave 3 months notice. However, most of my duties were transferred within the first 2-3 weeks leaving me with few responsibilities for the remaining couple of months.

Start the count down, 9 work days left.......... A few folks have come out of the woodwork , trying to talk me out of leaving early. Was actually considering delaying , and that was a little upsetting... I would, if given the option of half time/half pay benefits. The city does allow this , if approved by management. I asked and got no as the answer..... I'm sticking to the July 11th end date , and feel just fine about it .

Lame Duck Status update: Was supposed to be given someone to train , never happened. The position may be filled at the start of the new fiscal year ( July 1st) but my spies at HQ report no applicants are being called to selection interviews yet. My field work is now dumped on my supervisor. Office work now is only special projects , that can be done at my office or HQ.

As of one hour ago, I am officially un-employed. Sent out an e-mail blast within the department, turned in my badge, city id, and equipment. The union provided a "Retired" badge. Kind of un-climactic, just over.

Went to 3 small going-away lunches this week arranged by co-workers, as I did not want a big retirement party. I'm just not like that. Lot's of sad good-byes, as if I was dying ! It's not the end, rather it's the start of a new phase in life.

Many people, some I hardly know, are puzzled of how I could leave such a good paying job with just 12 years of city service, and can't fathom a retirement of just 25% of final pay. (2.16% @60) I guess, most are spending everything they make ,have little or no investments, and plan on doing at least 20 years, just for a higher pension. We have a great 457 plan, no matching, but doing 8 more years to get (edit) a 45% pension ? Not me.

Last edited:
Congrats!

I can relate to what you are saying about the conventional wisdom among government employees. It seems very few are even thinking there is the option of retiring before age 62. It's crazy talk to suggest saving some of one's take home pay makes it possible to retire securely even one minute before 60, the "official" retirement age in our pension plan.

Kudos for you for finding your own path and following it.

Congratulations! I can relate. Since I have told everyone that I'm leaving (retiring from military), they all ask what I'm going to do for work. When I tell them that I'm NOT going to work, they look at me like I have three heads. They just cannot fathom that an enlisted guy can actually retire at the ripe old age of 40!

I tell them it's all about choices, particularly how you manage your finances!

Sent From My Motorola Startac. Please excuse grammatical errors.

Back
Top Bottom