Join Early Retirement Today

Gave Notice / Smiling / back to W*rk for now
Old 07-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Gave Notice / Smiling / back to W*rk for now

I gave 8 weeks notice yesterday and was surprised that none of the posts I’ve read here warned me. Many posters have said that they started smiling after they retire and then smile for days/weeks/months/years. Well I started smiling during the meeting with the boss. Couldn’t help it, kept on smiling for the rest of the day, what was the most difficult decision of my life turned into a pleasant meeting. That evening SO asked if I will always be happy now. Probably. SO offered me a drink, no need, this giving notice business is better than morphine.

But then this morning reality set in, I still have 8 weeks to go. The boss gave me the word on what he and his wife (the bookkeeper) have decided. They requested that I stay another ½ month to train her as she is so busy during July and August. Together they expect to do the j*b part-time. (LOL, LOL [they may be lying and just don't want me to know who my replacement will be--that's how it went when they hired me--after firing my predecessor])

I thought it over and countered with: I’d prefer keeping Aug. 29 as my last day but would be happy to come in to train her on an appointment basis in September; after all I’ve been there 15-1/2 years and really do care about them as both co-workers and friends. Looks like she will make the effort to meet with me in August. Her reaction is pretty much as I expected, bummer. Sound familiar to any of you?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds familiar with how I felt. However, I should warn you as it gets closer to your final day it is going to become more difficult to drag your carcass to the office every day. I'll admit my last couple of weeks were a total waste of the little effort I did put in. Like you, I gave an extended notice period, however in hindsight I wish I had of stuck to a quick and easy 2 weeks.

Anyway congrats on getting ready to move to the next stage of your life.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations to both of you!!! Pretty exciting times around here.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! Once you pck the date it seems so real !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!!!!!. I found that my BS bucket was realllllllyyyyyyy small after I gave notice. It was a long four weeks. afer all what could they do FIRE me?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your comments; and the negative ones are priceless (and helpful). I’m trying (and failing?) to made some humor out of this. They would have me believe my j*b can be absorbed by the owner and his wife because he "is winding down his practice"! That’s news to me as he recently took on some 50 new "projects" of varying duration and intensity. I’m thinking of that as akin to Khan’s "when the cat dies." He’ll wind down the business "when the staff leaves." But on to other things, where is that play and lecture schedule?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. Everyone who's not there yet is very jealous!
sarahsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

They won't find out how much they miss you until you are gone. Or they will be forced to wind down the practice.

Fifty new projects! Man.

Congratulations CJ.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! The next few weeks should be easy for you, at least they were for me. Stuff that would normally bother me just rolled right off my back.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #10

congrats (now where did you say that job opening was again?)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! Since your boss and his wife sound like they may need some help, you might want to consider establishing a more formal consulting arrangement with them. Or, maybe it would be best to do just what you've done--just plant the seed. If/when they do call, you can be sure that they'll fully appreciate their situation and you'll be able to negotiate a more favorable hourly rate than if you set a figure right now.

Best of luck.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #12

Enjoy! You won't regret it.

As to the extra 2 weeks, you'll like my story. I gave mega-corp 60 days notice last year. My boss, who is an actual nice guy, asked me to stay 90 so that he could hire a replacement and I'd have a chance to train etc. I agreed. Because of the usual mega-corp BS, my replacement didn't start for 75 days. Because he was internal and had 2 weeks holidays booked, we overlapped by 1 day.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #13

Congrats and welcome to the club. Decoder ring and secret handshake on the way.

I gave 6 months notice to my boss/friend. He dragged feet until the last month to finally assign someone to take over my duties. At that point I was WAY beyond caring. Rule number 1: worry about yourself, no one else has as much at stake in you as yourself
Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I gave 6 weeks notice with the hope that my bosses boss would get motivated to find a replacement for my boss who left the company 5 months before. I was doing his job and my regular job for that time so I was motivated to get out of there. Alas, nothing was done so, like Elvis, I left the building.

Like Megacorp says...you have to look out for you since no one else will. Sad but true. When you w*rk you are a w*rker, an employee, a headcount, a slot, a place on an org. chart, a bench spot, a team member, you are in a position and have a j*b but you are not a real person...just a means to an end.

So shed no tears for the j*b...we can all be replaced. Say goodbye to your life in chains and Hello to a new life where YOU determine your next activity and your next priority.

Enjoy....the water is fine.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
...you are in a position...
And that position is usually "bent over"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post

Enjoy....the water is fine.
You know it! That's one of my favorite lines from this forum, the water will be fine as soon as 6 more weeks go by and I dive into the pool.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie View Post
Congrats!!!!!. I found that my BS bucket was realllllllyyyyyyy small after I gave notice. It was a long four weeks. afer all what could they do FIRE me?
In my case, it was just the opposite. Suddenly, I could take a lot of the BS, smile and even see the positive things that I would soon miss.

My job didn't suck, so maybe that's the difference - I was just tired of the stress and travel - and yes, some of the BS.

Congratulations CuppaJoe. Enjoy the time you have left in the work-force. As they say, you don't truly enjoy an "adventure" while in it.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Enjoy! You won't regret it.

As to the extra 2 weeks, you'll like my story. I gave mega-corp 60 days notice last year. My boss, who is an actual nice guy, asked me to stay 90 so that he could hire a replacement and I'd have a chance to train etc. I agreed. Because of the usual mega-corp BS, my replacement didn't start for 75 days. Because he was internal and had 2 weeks holidays booked, we overlapped by 1 day.
First off, congrats cuppajoe!!!!

Second, kumquat, great story. I would like to give 60 days notice, but since I know they'll try to expand it, I'm going to give 30 days and let them "convince me" to increase it to 60...I'll make them twist my arm really hard and buy me a gift certificate to my favorite steakhouse in exchange.
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I gave 8 weeks notice yesterday and was surprised that none of the posts I’ve read here warned me. Many posters have said that they started smiling after they retire and then smile for days/weeks/months/years. Well I started smiling during the meeting with the boss. Couldn’t help it, kept on smiling for the rest of the day, what was the most difficult decision of my life turned into a pleasant meeting. That evening SO asked if I will always be happy now. Probably. SO offered me a drink, no need, this giving notice business is better than morphine.

But then this morning reality set in, I still have 8 weeks to go. The boss gave me the word on what he and his wife (the bookkeeper) have decided. They requested that I stay another ½ month to train her as she is so busy during July and August. Together they expect to do the j*b part-time. (LOL, LOL [they may be lying and just don't want me to know who my replacement will be--that's how it went when they hired me--after firing my predecessor])

I thought it over and countered with: I’d prefer keeping Aug. 29 as my last day but would be happy to come in to train her on an appointment basis in September; after all I’ve been there 15-1/2 years and really do care about them as both co-workers and friends. Looks like she will make the effort to meet with me in August. Her reaction is pretty much as I expected, bummer. Sound familiar to any of you?
After I retired from the Navy, I had a series of jobs with Defense Contractors (aka: "Beltway Bandits"). I never really liked any of the jobs, but they gave me the opportunity to save a lot of money which eventually lead to my being retired. In every job I resigned from, I was asked to stay on. In every case, I gave 6 weeks notice so "they" would have time to plan for my departure. In every case, it came down to the last week and they panicked because I was leaving. The bottom line, as I eventually learned, is that you should give 2 weeks notice because if you give them more, you will be more stressed, they will not do what you thought they would in terms of planning for your departure. And, once you're gone, they figure out how to deal with it.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

My first post Congratulations Cuppajoe! Question for everyone -- Why do people give more notice for retirement than they would to quit for a new job? I have not made the jump yet, but I am getting there. I am puzzled by the amount of notice retirees give and employers demand.
steveinjersey is offline   Reply With Quote