Join Early Retirement Today

Getting close!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Getting close!!!

My last day at w**k is next Friday, the 29th. Yesterday the kind folks here at the non-profit agency where I've been for 14 years had a really nice farewell luncheon...lots of nice gifts, one of which was a "memory book" signed by many of the staff members. One entry particularly struck me as how I imagine I will be feeling come January...I'd like to share it.

"Think of us when you get up in the morning and the sun is shining and you realize...I don't have to go to work today!

Think of us when you get up in the morning and it is pouring rain and you realize...I don't have to go to work today!

Think of us when you get up in the morning and the snow/ice is falling and you realize...I don't have to go to work today!

Think of us when you get up in the morning and there is no stress in your life and you realize...I don't have to go to work today!

And eventually, when your busy schedule slows a little, think of us and remember all the wonderful days at (the agency) and how good it is to VOLUNTEER!!!"

I'm sure those of you who have already ER'd can identify with this...it'll be my turn soon. I'll let you know in two weeks..!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Getting close!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have concerns about the last one. Although I'm sure the author was speaking of volunteering generally, I couldn't help but think that s/he was implying Linkerbink should volunteer at his old non-profit. Doing so would truly be non-profit, in that he would be working, but not getting paid!
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes...in a tongue in cheek sort of way, she was implying that. But the agency does have a number of volunteer opportunities that have nothing to do with my old position...helping at the fund-raising events like the golf tournament, etc., which I would do gladly. I would NOT be interested in doing my old job for free...if I still wanted to do that job, I wouldn't be retiring!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would NOT be interested in doing my old job for free...if I still wanted to do that job, I wouldn't be retiring!
Screw that-- if you're looking for some excitement, then tell them you'd be happy to volunteer to do your old boss's job... for free.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote