Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Didn't have an issue with traveling. About 1 week after pulling the cord, we rented a condo in Las Vegas for 2 months and never looked back. Been all over the place since. ... taking the winter off ... DW says she needs a rest from long airplane flights. ... lol

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
We don't want to stay where we're at but we don't know where we want to relocate plus houses here are just not selling anyway and the weather today is gorgeous and our garden is finally starting to produce tomatoes and peppers!
Sounds to me like you have some perfectly good reasons for not traveling right now. So enjoy the tomatos and peppers, and the beautiful weather. Eventually the housing market has got to get better, and maybe gasoline prices will be lower then, too.

Meanwhile, you can always do online research on where you might like to relocate, which will probably help at some point.

We haven't really traveled much since retiring. It seems like we don't have any reason to want to leave.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Motivation to travel was in short supply the first 2 years of retirement. What turned it around was realizing how important the calendar is to enjoying the destinations. For example I'm headed for Singapore and Malaysia in the window between the end of the Borneo burning season in Nov and the beginning of the high season hordes in December. Knowing it's that or wait until next year motivates me because the number of 'next years' is running out. Headed for the beaches of Southern Calif? July is the month because May is not warm enough, the locals call June weather 'June Gloom' and the two hottest months of the year are August and Sept, which doesn't affect the beaches much but makes the inland unpleasant.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #24

We spent a lot of time traveling back and forth to Bandon, OR taking care of my FIL and his estate this last winter/spring. We were really burned out on driving for a while, still are to an extent. 11 hours for us. We know way too much about Bandon now. If interested, PM me.

I look at it this way. If it seems like work, you're probably not ready. I mean why force yourself to travel if you don't want too. Enjoy where you are for a while until the bug bites.

On the other hand, if you think this might be some mild depression setting in, going might be the best thing for you. Sometimes the best thing you can do when you feel unmotivated is force yourself to do something.

I think I effectively covered both sides of the argument there. Seriously, you gotta examine what's holding you back. There are legitimate reasons to not want to travel and then there's boredom and depression.

We have mostly gotten over our hesitation. We are going to Cancun in October, Disneyland (our 1st second home) with the boys in January, Miami and Jamaica (our 2nd second home) in March and SoCal/Disneyland for an extended stay with the boys in June. I hope we're ready.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We plan to move to a bigger city about 3 hrs away and make it as our home base. Then, comes the plan to travel. We are not sure if we like to do a lot of road trips. I'm into photography and I will enjoy that. My wife. I'm not so sure. Perhaps, we'll try a few short ones, about 3 to 5 hours away. If that work fine, we'll do more. Or else, we just have to fly to some interesting places. I dream of driving all the way to Alaska, but I doubt, my wife will take it.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess I misunderstood, I thought the OP was talking about travel to explore relocation - not travel for travel's sake. Now I can't tell, two different questions in my mind...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #27

DW and I have no plans to move until it's time to go to the nursing home or the cemetery. Personally, I would prefer to skip the nursing home and go directly to the cemetery.

However, we do love road trips. We like the travelling more than getting anywhere. We do not think about how many hours it takes to get somewhere. We think how many day's journey. We limit our day's journey to maximum of about 400 miles. This leaves time for sight seeing when we are settled for the night. We avoid big cities and interstate highways and tourist traps. We eat in local, non-chain restaurants. We look for motels with exterior entrances where you can park in front of your room. These are usually found in the small towns on the older US highways.

Back in the day we made these roadtrips with no advance lodging reservations. Now, that we're retired I do make advance reservations because I have the time and even the most obscure Motel-By-The-Road offers online reservations. Also, my vision is not as good at night as it used to be and I've discovered that I have no business trying to find a motel in a strange place at night after a full day's drive. And, of course, you can almost always save money by making advance reservation.

We travel to cool places in the summer and warm places in the winter. We rarely stay anywhere longer than a couple of days. We used to have a campiing trailer and we have thought about an RV, but we just can't prove it in.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #28

I love to travel, but my husband doesn't. I usually go with other relatives. Sometimes all the travel arrangements are tedious, so that's the part I dread.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I guess I misunderstood, I thought the OP was talking about travel to explore relocation - not travel for travel's sake. Now I can't tell, two different questions in my mind...
I thought this as well.

And to the OP, we were also told that things were not selling in our area. In the past year 3 other homes were listed in our small 28 home subdivision, not a single one has sold yet. We painted, decluttered, fixed stuff and staged our house like mad, goodwill is your friend. When we were ready to sell the house it did not seem like ours anymore (this can be a good thing during negotiations). We listed on July 1 and got an offer from the first people thru on July 6. The inspection resulted in only a $150 improvement to the basement staircase.

Get an aggressive real estate agent*, bargain on the percentage, and be realistic about where the market really is. We did not make a profit on this particular sale but realized that some times you win and some times you lose. Our buyer came in with no home sale contingency, pre-qualified with 25% down. We negotiated and accepted a slightly lower purchase price than we wanted in order to be out free and clear with a bunch of equity and get on with our life. The relief to be out from under a too large house with too much maintenance and high taxes is sublime.

*Make sure your agent takes GOOD pictures of your home and does an excellent virtual tour. We have been in the market for a home and bad, unfocused pictures do not make an appealing prospect.

One other thing that surprised us but really hit home with us was a comment by our agent that most people won't even go look at a house with wall-paper in it. Call me shallow but that resonated with us. We have done the whole remove three layers of wallpaper thing several times in the past but dang it's a lot of work, especially these days if the builder has not properly sized the walls. Removing paper frequently now ends up being replacing dry wall. If you have wall-paper get rid of it. No one else shares your love of garden roses.*

*sinjin, who repainted her beloved navy blue bedroom walls and screaming yellow breakfast room with the hidden Mickey on the top peak of the cathedral ceiling. I recommend Elephant Butt Grey and Wedgewood Grey paint for the walls, worked for us and everyone else loved em.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
However, we do love road trips. We like the travelling more than getting anywhere. We do not think about how many hours it takes to get somewhere. We think how many day's journey. We limit our day's journey to maximum of about 400 miles. This leaves time for sight seeing when we are settled for the night. We avoid big cities and interstate highways and tourist traps. We eat in local, non-chain restaurants. We look for motels with exterior entrances where you can park in front of your room. These are usually found in the small towns on the older US highways.

Back in the day we made these roadtrips with no advance lodging reservations. Now, that we're retired I do make advance reservations because I have the time and even the most obscure Motel-By-The-Road offers online reservations. Also, my vision is not as good at night as it used to be and I've discovered that I have no business trying to find a motel in a strange place at night after a full day's drive. And, of course, you can almost always save money by making advance reservation.

We travel to cool places in the summer and warm places in the winter. We rarely stay anywhere longer than a couple of days. We used to have a campiing trailer and we have thought about an RV, but we just can't prove it in.
HI, I am the OP. Thanks for allthe feedback! I was talking about trips to figure out where we want to relocate, not traveling in general. We have talked about just going on a trip "for fun" and we decided we would prefer to go somewhere that we might want to live. (Though I really did push Australia but DH does not want to get sidetracked with that for now.) That being said, we have gone on only 2 trips in the past 2.4 years that we have been FIRE. One for three weeks and one for 2 days (it sometimes can be really easy to determine you DON"T want to live somewhere.)

JakeBrake, Thanks for the suggestions . This might be the ticket in getting us moving. If we just travel about 6 hours a day instead 10 -11, it might be more fun. We have done that in the past on these long trips. We were thinking of getting a little pop-up trailer instead of going to the small motels. I have trouble sleeping in a "strange" bed plus we HATE making reservations and being locked into an agenda! Do you find it much different staying in small hotels vs camping when on the road?

We used to camp a lot in our van but it died around the time we FIRE and we now have a HOnda Pilot. WE are trying to avoid buying another vehicle until we decide where to live so that's why we were thinking about a small pop-up that the Pilot could tow.

Anyone else try camping in something small while on the road?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #31

We found that many RV "campgrounds" are more like overpriced parking lots. I really don't miss smelling my neighbor's cooking or hearing their conversations and arguments.

I've found that I do better by getting advance reservations because if I don't have reservations I tend to keep driving until I'm exhausted .When making advance reservations I always check the cancellation policy. Most motels that are not in resort areas will allow cancellation right up to the scheduled arrival time.

For our road trips we rent an unlimited free mileage rental car. We usually rent from Hertz Local Edition. We get an AAA discount plus there are always coupon deals for weekly or monthly rentals. Also, Hertz allows AAA members to share driving. Both DW and I can drive the rental car at no extra charge.

Also, when I'm driving a rental car with free unlimited miles I feel obligated to put as many miles on it as I can. That's what you are supposed to do on a road trip. Driving my personal car I tend to worry about the miles and scheduled maintenance.

FYI, we own 3 personal vehicles and we put plenty of miles on them since we live in a rural area without public transportation.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We found that many RV "campgrounds" are more like overpriced parking lots. I really don't miss smelling my neighbor's cooking or hearing their conversations and arguments.
Good description! We used to camp alot when we were white water kaying and we called those places "RV slums". We try to stay at state and nat'l parks.

Quote:
For our road trips we rent an unlimited free mileage rental car. We usually rent from Hertz Local Edition. We get an AAA discount plus there are always coupon deals for weekly or monthly rentals. Also, Hertz allows AAA members to share driving. Both DW and I can drive the rental car at no extra charge.

Also, when I'm driving a rental car with free unlimited miles I feel obligated to put as many miles on it as I can. That's what you are supposed to do on a road trip. Driving my personal car I tend to worry about the miles and scheduled maintenance.
THe cost of the hotels and rentals cars isn't that much? We have trouble spending money now that we are FIRE (another reason we haven't traveled much.) We are still saving money! We find it hard to change from that mode after 35 years of LBYM plus we have ten years until medicare and we have a very high deductible health insurance policy.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Good description! We used to camp alot when we were white water kaying and we called those places "RV slums". We try to stay at state and nat'l parks.
We put up with a lot of less-than-ideal situations camping on weekends and holidays when our kids were young and I was working. Now that we are retired, we can be much more selective in both where we stay and when we go.

We never camp on holiday weekends - ever. 90+% of the less-than-favorable camping experiences I've had were during holidays when too many people try to occupy too small a space. I happily let the working folks have my spot and fight the traffic while we stay home and plan our next trip.

We also take advantage of rvarkreviews.com to get a feel for an RV park we've never visited before we go, which really helps avoid the "RV slum" issue. If we are staying at a new park we usually only pay for one night so we can be sure we like the place before deciding to stay longer.

I do agree most state parks, national parks, and many COE parks are better than commercial RV parks, but there are a ton of nice commercial parks too.

And no matter what park we choose, I know who's been sleeping in my bed.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And no matter what park we choose, I know who's been sleeping in my bed.
Very good thing to know!

Why does semen glow in the dark? - By Forrest Wickman - Slate Magazine
Old 08-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #35

You don't have to travel if you don't want to. I travel abroad for medical missions so I have a goal, otherwise I would not travel much.
Quote:
Anyway, how do the rest of you get motivated to travel?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

OP: Based on a cursory glance of the Honda site it seems you vehicle can tow either 3500# if 2wd or 4500# if 4wd. This does not mean you should buy a 3500# or 4500# camper, you have to take into account the options you add and the stuff you pack in it. Think at least 10-25% less.

There are many ultra-lights and pop-ups that would meet your needs. With a camper that small you should be able to park in almost any state, federal or county camp-ground, most of which are not in anyway concrete RV slums.

When we travel we start out with a direction and tentative objective in mind then play it totally by ear. We don't make reservations more than one or two days in advance. We change directions based on suggestions from other campers, folks we meet at restaurants, the weather and sometimes random signs pointing to the left. We ended up in western Colorado once based on the advise of folks we met at the Oshkosh fly-in.

This country is huge and most of us never take but a little bite of it. If you like to camp go for it. It's not that expensive and it's an adventure not a vacation. And in the end you might find your retirement mecca. If not you've at least had an adventure.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
OP:
When we travel we start out with a direction and tentative objective in mind then play it totally by ear. We don't make reservations more than one or two days in advance. We change directions based on suggestions from other campers, folks we meet at restaurants, the weather and sometimes random signs pointing to the left. We ended up in western Colorado once based on the advise of folks we met at the Oshkosh fly-in.

This country is huge and most of us never take but a little bite of it. If you like to camp go for it. It's not that expensive and it's an adventure not a vacation. And in the end you might find your retirement mecca. If not you've at least had an adventure.
You are exactly right, sinjin. We need to look at it as an "adventure" and stop putting pressure on finding a retirement location. Of course, this is exactly what my DH keeps saying, as he pointed out, but for some reason it makes more sense hearing it from someone else!

We have been looking at an ultra-light folding camper. Just trying to decide if we should rent it again or buy it. (We don't have a lot of room to keep it and would prefer not to store it somewhere else.)
Old 08-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
We do this, too, but the tradeoff is the anxiety of finding a campsite. In '09 we ended up traveling to Arches National Park on a Friday. We thought we were early enough to get one of the first-come sites, but we found that they are all taken by 7:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We found that many RV "campgrounds" are more like overpriced parking lots.
A problem is that if you search for "camping" in googlemaps, it doesn't distinguish between RV parks and true campgrounds, so additional research is needed. I'm dealing with this while planning our drive through Nevada.

I just need one more campground in the middle of this stretch:

NevadaRoute.jpg
Old 09-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #40

T-Al, there is a campground called Whiskey Flats at Walker Lake on 95. It accepts both tents and RVs. I just looked up the campground using a free iPhone app i have called AllStays Camp & RV. It lists camping spots all over the country. The majority of listings include user rating, contact phone numbers and fees.