Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And if you want a tent site closer to Vegas there is a campground in Beatty called Death Valley Inn and RV park. They have 13 tent sites there. Also pulled this one from the AllStays app.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We do this, too, but the tradeoff is the anxiety of finding a campsite. In '09 we ended up traveling to Arches National Park on a Friday. We thought we were early enough to get one of the first-come sites, but we found that they are all taken by 7:15 AM.
Heh, we've flown to Maui at Christmas with a tent in case we didn't get a cheap condo reservation playing timeshare chicken enroute. Boondocking is our friend. I suggest Wainapanapa. Best boondocking ever was the north side of the Grand Canyon. No reservations, nothing available, we ended up camping in the Kaibab for free on the rim. No one else for a mile in each direction. No worries mate.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Lisa, it looks like it may be Lassen National Park to Whiskey Flats to Beatty to Hilltop.

AllStays.com looks good.

This place is one we will avoid:
We have been in quite a variety of RV parks over the last four years - some exquisitely nice, and some quite the opposite. Well, Joy Land RV Park in Tonopah dropped the bottom end of that range somewhat lower!

First off, it is set out of town on a side road and the whole park consists of three separate parcels scattered along the road. The other properties along the road have, for the most part, the worst collection of junk and trash that I have ever seen. Not just one property, but one after the other!

I'm also considering what we'll do if we arrive at a a desert campground at 1 PM, with the temperature at 100 degrees, and nothing but this in all directions:

Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #44

"I'm also considering what we'll do if we arrive at a a desert campground at 1 PM, with the temperature at 100 degrees, and nothing but this in all directions"

That is a real concern. Right now we're forecasted for 108 every day next week, which is high for this time of year but not unheard of. The campgrounds that I looked up were all within a short drive of a town so if you get there in the high heat of the day you might want to find the local library and chill until closer to evening.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks Lisa, it looks like it may be Lassen National Park to Whiskey Flats to Beatty to Hilltop.

AllStays.com looks good.

We have been in quite a variety of RV parks over the last four years - some exquisitely nice, and some quite the opposite. Well, Joy Land RV Park in Tonopah dropped the bottom end of that range somewhat lower!

First off, it is set out of town on a side road and the whole park consists of three separate parcels scattered along the road. The other properties along the road have, for the most part, the worst collection of junk and trash that I have ever seen. Not just one property, but one after the other!

I'm also considering what we'll do if we arrive at a a desert campground at 1 PM, with the temperature at 100 degrees, and nothing but this in all directions:

Wow Al, sorry for the snark. There's no way I would go there with no reservations! 108 F is freaking dangerous with no ac not to mention no shade. Good luck
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

AllStays.com looks good.

Earth to Al-MOTEL?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
Wow Al, sorry for the snark. There's no way I would go there with no reservations! 108 F is freaking dangerous with no ac not to mention no shade. Good luck
Quote:
Earth to Al-MOTEL?
I'm not too worried as long as the AC in the car continues to work OK. We can always keep driving, and we will probably call ahead to make reservations. Yes, a motel is a fine fall-back plan, or may turn out to be the main plan once we get to the desert.

In about 1968, my mom, sister and I drove through the desert with no AC, 120 degrees. One of the worst days of my life.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #48

One thing that has motivated me to travel is that I have no home base. I generally stay with friends and relatives in the USA. So I already have the next destination planned before I even get back to the USA.

Another thing that helps is that I am going to any place for a fair amount of time and actually living there. I am not going for a short 2 week visit where I will be moving every few days. This is less exhausting and more fun than too much travel.

I traveled around a lot my first year of FIRE (which I don't regret one bit). After that, I fell more into this long term living thing which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I also learned what countries and cultures that I liked and more about myself and what I wanted.

As an example, my next destination is Mexico. I am going with a friend to a Spanish school for 3 weeks (direct flight from USA, apartment in a beautiful city will be waiting for us there). Then we will visit a couple of other cities before ending in Mazatlan where I plan to stay a minimum of two months and longer if I really like it. I may do some other trips from that base when other friends come to visit.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote