Join Early Retirement Today

Getting Motivated to Travel During FIRE
Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Getting Motivated to Travel During FIRE

Anyone have trouble getting motivated to travel during FIRE? DH and I would like to relocate but we don't know where. For the last 25 years we spent a lot of time driving, chasing white water so we could kayak (there wasn't much water in the midwest). Now that we are FIRE and we have the time to travel we can't get motivated to do it.

We don't want to stay where we're at but we don't know where we want to relocate plus houses here are just not selling anyway and the weather today is gorgeous and our garden is finally starting to produce tomatoes and peppers!

Oregon is high on our list but it is a 30 hour drive. DH hates to fly plus we were thinking of camping when we get there to save $$$. We looked at the train but then we have to rent a camper when we get there and they are a little pricey.

I told DH we need to sprout a couple of pairs of wings and fly ourselves out there.

Anyway, how do the rest of you get motivated to travel?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just completed my first relocation trip. It would have been easier to just stay home, but I told all my friends I was going to make the trip, so it would have looked bad if I didn't go. Lame as it is, I probably helped me follow through FWIW.

And it turns out I really enjoyed the 7 day trip, and I learned a lot about what I want and don't want from relocating. Some of what I learned never would have occurred to me without the trip. Food for thought...

As for where, I've just done months/years of research and thinking to pare down the list. It's been a process of elimination, I've eliminated many more places than those that have made the cut, without having to visit every possible location. Starts with figuring out what you want/need - climate?, cost of living?, cultural?, medical care?, etc.

Best of luck!

Retired Jun 2011 at age 57
Target AA: 55% equity funds / 40% bond funds / 5% cash
approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Target WR: approx 2.5%
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Seems to me, if you wanted to relocate bad enough, you'd find the motivation to go explore other locations. Perhaps you are not quite ready to move yet?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

It's the same problem as what I call the "tourist syndrome". There are many great things to see and do in Vancouver, but I never think of going there unless I'm showing someone around town. I always figure there will be time - so it just drives whatever motivation I have right out the window.

Although I don't retire until next year, I know in my heart that I have to get out of Dodge to avoid becoming a tv-holic couch potato. I have 0 motivation to do stuff on weekends - and I'm actually quite fearful about what happens when every day becomes a Saturday.

To solve the problem, I bought a cheap RV. Because of the economy, some of them are going for a song. Since I'm a notorious tightwad, there's no way I'm going to let that particular hunk of metal sit there unused. I will be forced to get up and go.

Motivation by financial pressure :-)
Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have that problem with an upcoming camping/biking trip to Utah. I know I'll enjoy it, but seems like so much work! No sitting on the recliner watching a movie.

Something must be wrong with me.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Seems to me, if you wanted to relocate bad enough, you'd find the motivation to go explore other locations. Perhaps you are not quite ready to move yet?
+1

Midpack, my observation is you don't take change lightly - that's not a criticism, only an observation. I recall it took you considerable time to decide to retire and even then you left open an escape hatch to return to work (per your sig line).

I would expect you'd approach relocation the same way and that it will take a while for you to get comfortable committing to moving. You don't seem to have any pressing need to move so you shouldn't rush into making a decision.

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
I bought a cheap RV. )
No such thing.

Yes, some are less expensive than others but none are really cheap.

OTOH, you almost certainly won't end up with costs like this guy: True Cost of Owning a Coach - $45k/year for me - iRV2 Forums

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No such thing.

Yes, some are less expensive than others but none are really cheap.

OTOH, you almost certainly won't end up with costs like this guy: True Cost of Owning a Coach - $45k/year for me - iRV2 Forums

Wow.... even if it's a fraction of that, I may have to consider going back to a tent.

Nui <---- thinking nostalgically about her tenting years while forgetting about her aching knees
Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa

Wow.... even if it's a fraction of that, I may have to consider going back to a tent.

Nui <---- thinking nostalgically about her tenting years while forgetting about her aching knees
My back just told me, it would rather spend a weekend in jail, than laying on a sleeping bag in a tent! I don't mind traveling by driving to the airport and leaving, but an extended trip in a car does not motivate me at all. If I was looking to move the fact-finding and searching would be fun. The hard part would be the packing, selling, and moving of stuff. I guess you could put the 'ole house up for sale and when it does, the reality of 30 days to get out would motivate you pretty fast to get some things done
Old 08-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
The hard part would be the packing, selling, and moving of stuff. I guess you could put the 'ole house up for sale and when it does, the reality of 30 days to get out would motivate you pretty fast to get some things done
If you move to an RV, the problem would be solved. No packing, no unpacking, moving constantly.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #11

Yeah, we have trouble getting motivated to move more than twice per week. Four days in the South Dakota Badlands was probably more than we needed, but three days here in Custer State Park might not be enough. We might just need to stay a bit longer.

I guess that's why we've only moved 67 times in the last year . . . sometimes it's just difficult to get going.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Midpack, I would expect you'd approach relocation the same way and that it will take a while for you to get comfortable committing to moving. You don't seem to have any pressing need to move so you shouldn't rush into making a decision.
Yes and no. I've moved often my entire life, an army brat growing up, and frequent job transfers as an adult. I am sure we will move and don't fear change at all, we welcome it. But you are right in that the engineer in me will analyze, research and test the waters before we make the actual move...so a good observation.

My larger point to the OP was meant to be, I learned a great deal about what I want and don't want in relocation - I never would have gotten those insights had I not made the trip, with more trips to follow.

Retired Jun 2011 at age 57
Target AA: 55% equity funds / 40% bond funds / 5% cash
approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Target WR: approx 2.5%
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I have that problem with an upcoming camping/biking trip to Utah. I know I'll enjoy it, but seems like so much work! No sitting on the recliner watching a movie.

Something must be wrong with me.
I think this is it exactly! Home is comfortable.

THe actual traveling isn't that much fun but once you get there its fun. I think we are burnt out on driving.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
Anyone have trouble getting motivated to travel during FIRE? DH and I would like to relocate but we don't know where. ....

Anyway, how do the rest of you get motivated to travel?

A little confused... travel or relo??

Are you are asking about travel like a vacation... short-term (week or two) or longer extended travel (several months)?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #15

No trouble getting motivated in our household. We had planned and researched for years ahead of time and relocated the day after I RE'ed. First year we then had 20 weeks living in rented houses in different places including Canada and England.

2nd year we are coming to the end of of a 7 month stay in England, next year we are already planning 3 months in the Pacific NW and also in Colorado.

But this is us, and you should not do what you think you should do,but what you want to do. Relax, take it easy and ease into things.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #16

I'm with Alan, never have any problems getting motivated planning the next trip.

We have so many trips we want to do that once we have the time it is going to be non-stop. We are planning a trip thru Asia, a separate trip to Argentina as well as a European vacation. All these plans are ready to go, just need time to do it.

Instead of thinking about every location as a possible new destination to live, why don't you just get in the car and drive in the general area where you are interested and see what happens. Don't over plan the whole thing.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

TLDR

We have traveled a lot trying to find a place to retire. For about 8 years we were convinced that place was Maui. We spent 2-3 months there every summer, 4-6 weeks at Christmas and I went with my Mom for 10 days every spring break. Then our daughter got married and grandchildren entered the picture. We realized we would rarely see them if we we lived on Maui.

So we began an exploration of the mainland by CAMPING! Hahahahaha. The singuy and his family camped all the time. I never camped, ever. So we packed a Costco tent filled up the X5 with stuff we hardly ever used on the trip and went camping for 3 months instead of to Maui. Had a blast but dang, running to the bathroom in the middle of the night was hard on my 50 some bones. The next year we bought a Trailmanor camper, about the only thing we could tow with the X and toured for two more summers following up many friends suggestions of the perfect retirement community. No joy.

Three years ago we traded the X for a 2500HD and then the Trailmanor for an Airstream when we (non-gamblers) ended up stuck in Vegas for a week, idle hands and all that. Then our son and his wife moved to DC and we, formerly NY'ers, went back to the east coast for the first time in over 20 years. Long lost friends popped up every day on Facebook and we eventually visited one couple at their vacation home on Oak Island*, NC. Talk about love at first sight. We left twice and went back (got as far as Dover the first time) and then went back again at Christmas and bought a salty piece of land.

We hope to build a house <1/3 the size of the house we just sold in the next year. It took us a long time and a lot of miles to find the place we want to live for the first part of our ER. Nothing is forever.

*hope it's still there next week!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
My back just told me, it would rather spend a weekend in jail, than laying on a sleeping bag in a tent!
That problem is solved with one of these:

(as long as you don't get a leak).
Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
If you move to an RV, the problem would be solved. No packing, no unpacking, moving constantly.
No commnet of this-but I love your sigline.

Ha
Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That problem is solved with one of these:

(as long as you don't get a leak).
Al, if this is the one with the built-in air pump, I slept on one of those for years. Not in a camping-in-a-tent situation, though. It was fine for me.

"I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote