Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Getting Rid Of (Good) Stuff
Old 06-16-2005, 03:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I am a book addict and used to read several novels a week. We had books everywhere. Always bought them and never reread them. I gave most all my books away to the public libary. What they don't use they include in a book sale once a year to raise money for the libary. And you get a tax deduction. I thought about eBay but it seemed to be too much work.

When I retire it is the public libary for me.
I'm there, twice a week, minimum. Also check out Barnes&Noble or Borders about once a week.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2005, 03:42 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Note to self:* Get to thrift stores before P.S. does.
Note to self: Offer to take things to the thrift store

Old 06-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Thanks,
I've got a couple of $2000-3000 items that would require good pictures.* Two Les Paul Customs, a cherry burst and also a tobacco burst.

Thanks for the infromation.* E-Bay, here I come.
Oh, please. As if we have to do our own work these days.

Seriously, though, you might want to have an appraisal on some of those items (if one of this board's members hasn't already sent you a PM...) and sell it through a site dedicated to that item. For example there are several websites auctioning books that get very huffy (the website owners, not the books) if compared to eBay.

Try the book "EBay for Dummies" to get a feel for the process, or visit Marcia Collier's website. Or search eBay for assistants in your ZIP code. My cousin (in Hoffman Estates) has been picking up people's consignments and selling them over eBay for several years. They get money, she gets a commission, everyone's happy.

I have a closet full of crap memorabilia that I've been meaning to set up & flog on my own just as soon as the surf dies down for a while. Yep. Here I go. Watch me now.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I was reading this line of postings and I recalled the gist of a key personal wisdom I had taken away from my readings (on eastern thought) years ago:
Things are not important, the world will pass and we with it.* In this grand illusion, material possesion brings the eventual unfulfillable desire for more.* Own only your own life, and the world will become yours as transcendent wealth in ways you could never have imagined.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I read this on a fortune cookie from my favorite "all you can eat Chinese Buffet" I would frequent when I lived in San Francisco. 8)
Old 06-16-2005, 07:18 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

As someone who had to dispose of a couple of relatives' belongings after they passed ... do your heirs (or whoever) a favor and purge.* Cleaning 40 years worth of stuff out of a house is no joke :P

* *Thought I'd also add a couple of places that take used stuff:
* *Homeless shelters (especially those that serve families) -- good for clothes, personal care and household items.
* * The local Humane Society may be looking for old towels and blankets.* Ours even took unused syringes.* (aunt was a diabetic, so there was plenty of that stuff around)
Old 06-16-2005, 08:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

1-800-got-junk.

One of the fastest growing franchises these days, so I hear...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
As someone who had to dispose of a couple of relatives' belongings after they passed ... do your heirs (or whoever) a favor and purge. Cleaning 40 years worth of stuff out of a house is no joke :P

Oh. man does that suck or what! I've had to clean out for dead relatives FOUR times over the past ten years and it is terrible. Two of the four were close and the sadness was a constant showstopper. Just when I'd be slinging the crap out with a snowshovel a memento would catch my eye and I'd have to stop, sit down and think, cry whatever before I could get going again.

But the worst of it is when a lousy cousin visits years later and says, "Oh, so you got the lamps."

Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Oh. man does that suck or what! I've had to clean out for dead relatives FOUR times over the past ten years and it is terrible. Two of the four were close and the sadness was a constant showstopper. Just when I'd be slinging the crap out with a snowshovel a memento would catch my eye and I'd have to stop, sit down and think, cry whatever before I could get going again.
Thanks for reminding me.* Not.* *My mom died over a year ago, and my brother and I still have to face a trip to Ohio and a house full of "stuff."* She was trying to pare down her junk, but there is still a house full of "valuable" antiques and momentos.* *All the things her mother had saved for a lifetime, and mom saved for a lifetime, and now I will be the evil ungrateful daughter and sell most of it, because I have nowhere to put it.* Sigh.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #30

A thankless job Sheryl. I'm glad your brother is there to help. The only advice I can offer is.. don't become immobilized. Take a break when needed and just do it.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Thanks for reminding me.* Not.* *My mom died over a year ago, and my brother and I still have to face a trip to Ohio and a house full of "stuff."* She was trying to pare down her junk, but there is still a house full of "valuable" antiques and momentos.* *All the things her mother had saved for a lifetime, and mom saved for a lifetime, and now I will be the evil ungrateful daughter and sell most of it, because I have nowhere to put it.* Sigh.
Hi Sheryl,

I have a suggestion for you... and it is what I am going to do when I have to.. Hold a 'family' auction... it can be based over time etc. but auction off EVERYTHING in the house. If someone wants it more than someone else they will bid up the price. If they are the only one who wants it,then fine. Anything left over you then sell in the open market and you can not be the evil ungrateful daughter...

Just a suggestion.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:52 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

* *Four times Bum?* My condolences, and not just for your losses.* *You're right. It just tears that grief box open over and over.* And I hope to God I'll never have to do that again.

Quote:
now I will be the evil ungrateful daughter and sell most of it, because I have nowhere to put it.* Sigh.
* No, you're not the evil, ungrateful daughter.* Good friend of mine and I had a few chats about this after my mom died.* Our conclusion was that as much as we may love that person, we still have our own lives -- and our own tastes. And we're not obligated to hold on to stuff that we don't like, don't have room or use for.* Keep the stuff that means the most to you. I admit I kept a bit too much, but as time goes on, it gets* easier to be objective.
* * *A thought, maybe you and your brother could call the family in and ask them to take what they want.* Then call an auction house or a company that specializes in estate sales and have them do the sale right there.* Did that with my aunt's belongings -- house, car and furniture, all in one shot.* Unfortunately, you still have to dispose of the personal stuff....
Old 06-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Hi Sheryl,

I have a suggestion for you... and it is what I am going to do when I have to..* Hold a 'family' auction...* Just a suggestion.
Great idea - It would be a good way to gather up all the relatives for a get together - Hmmm, maybe I should ply them with alcohol before the bidding like they do at the charity fundraising auctions?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
* Keep the stuff that means the most to you. I admit I kept a bit too much, but as time goes on, it gets* easier to be objective.
* * *Then call an auction house or a company that specializes in estate sales and have them do the sale right there.* Did that with my aunt's belongings -- house, car and furniture, all in one shot.* Unfortunately, you still have to dispose of the personal stuff....
Yeah, it's an emotional thing to me too -* holding on to things that have memories attached to them - the furniture and glassware* I used to love at my grandmothers house ...* that's the hard part.* *But I've spent years trying not to have a cluttered life so I won't let it take me over...* I ....willl.....be.....strong.....
Old 06-18-2005, 01:04 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I traveled into Russia last summer for just under two months.* All my DW and I had with us was our respective suitcases, and I have become expert at packing only esssentials. We stayed in hotels when in the major urban areas, and otherwise lived way off the beaten track.* *

When I returned to my home, after living on bare essentails as to "owned possesions" I was in a type of culture shock.* I had all this accumulated stuff in my home, and managed to have one of the best adventures I have had with only one drag behind suitcase and very little else with me for almost sixty days.* It puts the concept of what one needs that is* really essential to have a good life into perspective.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:30 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Great idea - It would be a good way to gather up all the relatives for a get together - Hmmm, maybe I should ply them with alcohol before the bidding like they do at the charity fundraising auctions?
When my grandparents passed away, my father being the eldest son had to divide the inheritance between the *12* siblings. All siblings pulled a number out of the hat. The number would determine when it was their turn to pick something from the stuff. They took turns until everything was gone and only Goodwill material was left. It worked out very well. Most of the stuff was not really of monetary value but more of emotional value. That emotional value was also different for every sibling.

Vicky

Old 06-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
When my grandparents passed away, my father being the eldest son had to divide the inheritance between the *12* siblings.
Vicky
Ack. Thank goodness it's just my brother and I who have acgtually inherited. But some aunts, cousins, friends, etc. who will want some keepsakes, I think.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:01 AM   #38

Sheryl,

Regarding keepsakes- My mother's advice is to return meaningful gifts to the giver. For example, my sister bought grandma a ring. When gram died sis got the ring back and she treasures it today.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #39

Here's another "thanks" for mentioning Freecycle.org. I just got someone to offer to come pick up a big hunk of cement that I've been trying to get rid of for years. It's one of those car stop things that you find in parking lots.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Sheryl,

Regarding keepsakes-* My mother's advice is to return meaningful gifts to the giver. For example, my sister bought grandma a ring. When gram died sis got the ring back and she treasures it today.
That makes sense to me. Unfortunately they are mostly things that my grandmother collected. I have one greedy uncle who would take everything if we let him, and I'd rather get a few hundred bucks from a yard sale than see him haul it all off and sell it himself.