Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I can't remember high school...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's High School?

Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Interesting the wide range of responses here. It appears the relationship everyone has (or doesn't have) with those they attended high school is highly individualistic.

I've stayed in touch with many of my old classmates. I think that is directly related to the fact I grew up in a small town and attended all the way from kindergarten through graduation with many of them. There were ~75 in my graduating class and approximately 40 of those are still in contact. I expect 20 to 25 of them will attend our 50th reunion next year.

As Athena53 mentioned, many of those who won't show up are local and the majority of attendees will be from out of town.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

... many of those who won't show up are local and the majority of attendees will be from out of town.

That's true. I was the only foreigner.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #25

Just to add to what I posted earlier about finding an old HS friend and staying in touch with him for a few years, I never had any interest in attending any reunions. Most of the time most of my classmates treated me like dirt when I was there so other than a "Revenge of the Nerds" thing, I'd never have any interest in paying $110 to go to one of those things. Maybe if it were a low-key event at the school or a picnic in the park I'd consider it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I met up with 4 friends from high school recently (organized via Facebook) and had a great time. Most of them I hadn't seen in over 20 years. Of course, the topic of jobs/careers came up during the evening, and I did my best to not let on I was FI... although I couldn't help but mention (as discreetly as possible) that I left my previous lucrative job to do part-time consulting work earlier this year. At any rate, it was a lot of fun and was really interesting to see old friends that used to be such a big part of my life. It was like stepping through a time portal for a few hours!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Hubby and I are having dinner with one of his high school girlfriends (divorced) this week as we travel thru for a wedding. Not quite sure how I feel about this! Married a gabillion years and I still get jealous...... Still not gonna wear high heels.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #28

Getting with old high school friends

I usually run into someone from high school a few times a month, but not intentionally. I live a few miles outside of my hometown, so I see former school mates out and about shopping, eating, drinking, etc. Ran into an old girlfriend a few weeks ago when I was with DW. That was interesting.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

High school wasn't my thing and I left the area I grew up in at 18.

However, from the small world file, my 93 year old father now has a senior apartment over 200 miles from the home town. His new next door neighbors lived in the same are that we used to live in. Their daughter was in my graduating class. I saw her last month when I went for a visit. It was nice.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #30

Getting with old high school friends

My best friends in high school all went different directions. FB helped me contact a few of them, and I travelled through one's hometown and we met for lunch. A group of friends, at a high school reunion last year, decided it would be better to contact all their close friends irregardless of graduation year and have a get together. It was actually aimed at the church youth group of our era, which had been extensive. People came from all over, and it was pretty neat. It was a year in the planning, and a FB page was created, n which people shared memories, tons of photos, and reconnected prior to the get together. A concerted effort to think of names, and locate lost people, was successfully made.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #31

I found a video of The Gang. I told the Judge I was convicted purely through association.

http://youtu.be/gj0Rz-uP4Mk

Old 10-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #32

We are swapping photos and I found one of my first "real" band (no, I won't share here). I was on keys, even though I was basically hacking.

We did this tune that I still love:

http://youtu.be/NLFtlM2yNe0

Old 10-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #33

Here's more of the kind of stuff we used to listen to back then. This was the 70s.

As Sinatra said, "If you're not old enough to remember this, you should be".

http://youtu.be/kRPRicsHh8g

Old 10-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I get together with 3 old friends from high school (one married couple, one single guy) every October, at a beautiful cabin in the woods owned by the single guy (my wife joins me, of course, but she did not go to school with us). We've been doing this pretty much every fall since college days (30-some years ago now). We spend 3 1/2 days at his cabin, eating great food, drinking good wine, catching up on what's new with everyone, driving around the woods, cutting a little firewood to heat the place, etc.. We don't talk much during the rest of the year (we don't live near each other), but when we get together, it's like we haven't really missed a beat. I hope we can continue this tradition for years to come.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Hubby and I are having dinner with one of his high school girlfriends (divorced) this week as we travel thru for a wedding. Not quite sure how I feel about this! Married a gabillion years and I still get jealous...... Still not gonna wear high heels.

Well, how did it go?

I think it is smart of you to have some feelings of jealousy, as you put it - but to me - it's just being smart. It may seem innocent, but often old feelings run deep and make people feel "young" again as they relive earlier romantic memories...leading to behaviors you would never expect! I've heard of many instances of marriages being destroyed by old flames becoming " just friends" again - especially in the world of facebook.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Well, how did it go?

I think it is smart of you to have some feelings of jealousy, as you put it - but to me - it's just being smart. It may seem innocent, but often old feelings run deep and make people feel "young" again as they relive earlier romantic memories...leading to behaviors you would never expect! I've heard of many instances of marriages being destroyed by old flames becoming " just friends" again - especially in the world of facebook.
It went well, Hubby kept kicking me under the table. They chatted about the others in their high school gang, only one has done ok, the rest are multiple divorced, one just hooked up with her second ex on Facebook, left her third, but still not divorced, and squatting in a nice house in Florida. No SS or any work history. The girl we visited will only have her SS and rents an apartment. Made a lot of poor marriage choices with none over 10 years, she's looking for something she can rent and share. I think hubby is pretty happy hanging around with me, well at least me and the little dog.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #37

My 50 year reunion is next year and I haven't decided if I'm going or not. It's an all class reunion. There were only 68 in my class and I think about 10 have passed already.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't maintained contact with anyone from high school, or college. Only a couple of people from the USAF.
Joined a Facebook page several years ago from high school, looked around and realized I hardly remembered anyone and the ones that I did remember didn't really spark any interest in me. Had several females contacting me wanting to get together whenever I was back in town visiting my parents, but after doing a lil' digging it ended up feeling like they were looking for someone to come in and save them from poor financial/life decisions and I was not interested in being "that guy".
Have never had any interest in attending any reunions. Don't have any bad feelings towards the people, just seems that I went one direction and they went another.