Join Early Retirement Today

Getting with old high school friends
Old 10-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A bunch of people (male and female) attended a get-together at a great restaurant/bar for those of us who used to hang out all the time in high school.

This was not at all the standard "high school reunion", which I never did and probably never will attend. No, we were really tight.

I was lucky to get up there, and it was a great time, as I guessed it would be. No Facebook/ Twitter to organize, just good old phone calls. I admire the brother and sister who made it happen.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #2

I was able to do some internet searches to contact an old high school friend back in 2006. I knew a few things about his wife because she worked for my company briefly in the late 1980s. I also had the city in Illinois he and his wife moved to from a compilation of "What have you been up to lately?" answers he happened to send in to reunioin people in 2001. I wrote him a letter becaue I thought it would be less of a shock (he was still stunned, not surprisingly). I did meet up with him later in 2006 when he and is wife returned to NY for the Christmas holiday. We stayed in touch for a few more years before drifting apart again.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I stayed in the city where I went to high school, so I still see friends from high school pretty often. In fact, a few of the friends from my HS social circle moved into the same kinda funky on-the-verge-of-gentrifying-but-not-quite neighborhood as me. I see a good friend almost daily as he's leaving for work and I'm walking to/from my kids' school.

We've only hung out once in the five or so years he's lived here and it turns out he's big into low cost index fund investing and into frugality and personal finance big time. We chat on facebook fairly often though, and trade neighborly messages about roofers and contractors and community events. We don't have as much in common as we did back in HS, otherwise might hang out more often.

That same circle of friends gets together every couple of years but I've been out of the country or otherwise unavailable the last few times they met. I know what you mean - it's a lot cooler to meet with your old friends than to meet with the entire Class of 1998 (or whenever you graduated HS).
Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I moved continents but I still get together with four or five of my old school friends whenever I visit my hometown. Some of us stay in touch on Facebook too. We have been friends since age 7 or so.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #5

I need new glasses. I seriously read this thread as "Getting high with old school friends".

As for me, the last high school friend I met up with was 25 years ago. I've moved, and moved on.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I need new glasses. I seriously read this thread as "Getting high with old school friends".

As for me, the last high school friend I met up with was 25 years ago. I've moved, and moved on.
I did the same thing ... the needing new glasses part
Old 10-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #7

My best friend in high school is still my best friend today. We are both now almost 57 years old. We talk at least once a week on the phone. In fact, I just got off the phone with him about 20 minutes ago. Unfortunately, even though I'm now retired, he may never be. He & his wife have always lived beyond their means, and now the reality of that lifestyle is hitting him like a ton of bricks. He's a truck driver and will most likely have to work until his body won't allow him to anymore. We always used to talk about how we'd run around the country checking out civil war & other historical sites, but now that I'm ready, there's no chance for him to be able to do it. When I go visit my mom & other family (around 900 miles) I usually get to meet up with him for lunch or a couple hours here & there, but otherwise he's on the road. My wife & his wife are friends too, and so we could all do some traveling otherwise. Oh well....maybe next time...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep in touch with a few HS friends. One of them, I still consider one of my best friends. I have known him ever since first grade. We get together once or twice a year to take in a MLB game.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

6 years ago, Facebook was used to round-up classmates from three classes (the sophomore and seniors from the year I was a junior). It was truly one of the best nights of my life. We broke the fire code on the building we rented. We've had four more since. We'll use any excuse to have another one. I'm so very, very glad someone was brave enough to initiate it. It's really been life changing for me.

If you've never been, I highly recommend it. The cliques are gone.....
Old 10-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #10

We made our 50th anniversary but missed our 60th this past year.. (DW and I graduated from HS together and have been friends since we were age 11)., Since we keep in touch with a few old friends (albeit not often) it looks as if most of the 50 classmates (out of 200 graduates) who showed up are still well and active. Maybe we'll see them on our 70th.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I moved continents but I still get together with four or five of my old school friends whenever I visit my hometown.

+1. With these friends, we always seem to pick up right where we left off, no matter how long we have not seen each other.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
+1. With these friends, we always seem to pick up right where we left off, no matter how long we have not seen each other.

Same here! At our last get together, I had a Canadian friend with me. She couldn't understand everyone's accent, but she found it incredible that we immediately started yakking as if we had seen each other only a week ago. No preliminaries necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I figured that was how they all ended up at a restaurant.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

HS years were not my best years; we had a weird setup (since changed) where the boys were on one side of the building and the girls were on the other, sharing only the chapel, the cafeteria and the gym (with a big curtain dividing the gym during classes). I was bookish and an introvert and didn't know how to flirt. Still don't. I did much better my senior year (when we finally combined) and in college.

I went to the 5-year reunion because I lived a few hours away. I ignored later ones until the 40th, in 2011. They started a FB page and I got comfortable enough with the group that I decided to attend. I had a good time. It was like meeting a group of new friends with whom you had a surprising amount of things in common. This is a self-selecting group, of course: I was surprised at the ones who were local but didn't show up. I guess the ones who did show up were the ones who felt good about where they were in life.

As I noted in the FB discussion, I may or may not attend the next. I've tangled with a couple of classmates on FB. I agree with one of them on many issues but not on a few hot button issues. The other believes everything the pope says and her arguments are illogical. Sad, because I remember thinking she was my academic equal back then, but she uses fallacies all over the place. With both, I stay tactful and use logic and counterexamples, but I may have ticked them off and, being non-confrontational, I'm concerned about seeing them in person again. I have a couple of years left to decide!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #15

I went to my 50th HS reunion last summer. I had a blast, and reconnected with some of the kids I grew up with.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Getting old with high school friends
Getting high with old school friends
Getting school high with old friends
Getting school with high old friends
Getting old school with high friends
Getting old school high with friends
Getting friends with old high school
Getting old friends with high school
Old 10-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Getting old friends with high school

This reminds me of "The Shining".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
This reminds me of "The Shining".

😈

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I got together with an old friend from high school, after over 40 years of no contact . Now, he forwards me endless political and religious email rants.

Oh well, it was fun catching up on the intervening years.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #20

I'll take door number three...