Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Now if the house would sell...
Have you had any nibbles?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've gotten rid of tons of stuff . Now if I could only get my SO to do the same .
These are words I could have written. I am a perpetual de-clutterer; he likes to save anything and everything "just in case". I've been tempted to just start getting rid of some of the stuff he'd never even miss, but I don't have it in me to do it.

My general rule now is "one in, one out". I apply that to almost anything non-consumable - books, clothing, furniture, gadgets, etc. It helps, but we still have too much stuff in this house.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been listing stuff on Craigslist for $1 lately and this seems to get rid of a lot of the reactive responses for items listed in their free section or on Freecycle. I was getting a flood of "save it for me" responses from people that wouldn't pick the stuff up. Also, the people that end of up the stuff seem to really want or need it.

Because I live in the ex-burbs, I can't just put it on the curb and give an address to pick it up.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #24

I think I've mentioned before that when we moved out of our 2250 sf home in Houston to an 1150 sf house out here, it was obvious we'd have way more stuff than room in the new house.

So shortly before we moved away, we invited friends and neighbors over for what we called a "housecooling" party. As the opposite of a housewarming, guests were told that they had to leave by taking a "gift" from the host -- we put a bunch of stuff we were giving away in one room and made a party of giving it all away...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you had any nibbles?
That's kind of a personal question....isn't it?....
Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
That's kind of a personal question....isn't it?....

The RE market is very slow, basically the person who would buy our house is having problems selling. We have had several showings but in my opinion they were clients looking at the 'big picture' of homes on the market, not someone with a thirst for a house.

Believe it or not the person who has a pasion for the house was a guy who picked up an item for his wife that I put on freecycle yesterday. He is a PE who knows the neighborhood, my husband is an architect, so we showed him the house. In short order he was saying "this could be my office, we could park and secure the personal water craft there..." Now, if he could convince his wife and sell their home.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
we invited friends and neighbors over for what we called a "housecooling" party. As the opposite of a housewarming, guests were told that they had to leave by taking a "gift" from the host -- we put a bunch of stuff we were giving away in one room and made a party of giving it all away...
What a great idea and I'll be it was a lot of fun for everyone!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I look forward to the day when I can give away more money.
Yesterday I realized that I had reached tithing: was giving away 10% of my gross 'income'.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The RE market is very slow, basically the person who would buy our house is having problems selling. We have had several showings but in my opinion they were clients looking at the 'big picture' of homes on the market, not someone with a thirst for a house.
Yep, it's really a domino effect. We anticipate listing our house toward the end of the year as a down-sizing move. DW reminds me all the time that it's not just how attractive our house is, but also how easily the buyers can sell theirs, and so on down the line. I'm trying not to count on a quick sale when that time comes.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Do not do what my next door neighbor did. He and his wife bought two condos over a year ago, put their house on the market intending to use that equity to pay them off ASAP. The house didn't sell because the re market froze up. They ended up getting ~85% of what the assessor said it was worth. By that time it had acquired condition as well as market issues, and they were doubtless desperate.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gave away, and sold at auction, lots of stuff a few years ago when I went from my big house to my little house. I now find myself junking this place up. I unfortunately work near a really great place that buys out whole households and then sells things very cheap quickly. A lot of antiques and collectibles are mixed in with all the junk. I have paid eighty cents for antique salts and depression glass dishes. A couple of dollars for art pottery vases. Old oriental rugs. I bought a first edition of Vonnegut's Player Piano for eighty cents recently(will give it to my son for Xmas). Yeah, this place is bad news. One of the nurses in my office shares the bug with me. We are in this place almost everyday. Oh, well, better than patronizing the bars.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think you mentioned you were divorced. I'm surprised you had enough left to fill three suitcases...
I was divorced for about 7 years before coming to Peru,(ex and I had a very successful company, so I took a buyout and retired at 42) Had bought and furnished a Condo,collected wine/grappa/cigars/Harley's/Porsches/Alfa Romeo's and any kind of sports equipment made. Got bored,broke (house rich)so I sold or gave away everything and decided to change locales.

Came to Peru and partied like an aging rockstar, fell in love with a "GREAT WOMEN" 30 years my junior and am starting my life "all over".

I had a son 4 years ago and i plan on "riding this wave" to the "pearly gates" or the "gates of hell" depending on who is offering the "best package".
Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Dang - I had to read this thread - will be four years since Katrina after this August. It's amazing how much stuff/clutter can be accumulated in a mere 1100 sq ft.

Best to decutter the old fashioned way rather than the estimated 35 ft wall of water that took care of the stuff that didn't fit in two pickups when evacuating before Katrina.

This time of year you can't go a few blocks in any direction without passing a garage sale.

I'm thinking Goodwill, Salvation Army, DAV is faster more efficient.

heh heh heh - No tornado's in my neighborhood since 1976 according to the old timers. .
Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

NYEXPAT, I hope you leave your new family prepared for the future. DH and I were there in January and formed the opinion that Peruvians had a lot to overcome.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #35

Quote:
NYEXPAT, I hope you leave your new family prepared for the future. DH and I were there in January and formed the opinion that Peruvians had a lot to overcome.
Can you say "Social Security Spousal benefits" in Spanish?

My wife was amazed to learn that she never had to work, set foot stateside and the wonderful Americans have graciously offered to send her a monthly check for the next 50-60 years.

My Father is 91 and were considering setting him up with my wife's little sister when she graduates from Nursing school.

I tell everybody I meet that the USA is the greatest country TO BE FROM!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #36
gone traveling

Who says you can't buy love?

As for the USA being a "great country TO BE FROM", all I can say is good riddance. Enjoy your child bride and make sure you buy one for dear old dad too. After all, that is what the US taxpayers are paying into SS for, right?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I find it slightly sad that these young women are encouraged to go for older Americans . It 's probably part love and part survival .
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #38

Quote:
I find it slightly sad that these young women are encouraged to go for older Americans . It 's probably part love and part survival .
In researching my family tree, I discovered that when my great-great-great grandfather was widowed, he married a 30-something woman at the age of 71, and fathered a child with her.

It seemed, well, "weird" to me. Later on as I did more general research, it turns out that younger women marrying elderly Civil War pensioners was not an uncommon thing -- she would have many years left to collect the pensions after their elderly husbands passed. And he was a Union veteran, so I guess that fits.

I hate to say it, but economically it feels like "marrying for the pension" could make a bit of a comeback, at least where survivor benefit rules aren't tightened up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #39

Quote:
I have to agree with you! The facts are that(in major cities) there are many more young available women than men. Most young man are incapable of providing financial support for their children, do not want to marry (supply/demand)(Why buy the cow)etc. Girls grow up with the stories of the "Principe Azul" and "white" is socially accepted here.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Later on as I did more general research, it turns out that younger women marrying elderly Civil War pensioners was not an uncommon thing -- she would have many years left to collect the pensions after their elderly husbands passed. And he was a Union veteran, so I guess that fits.
That's the early-20th-century version of long-term care insurance. Possibly with a free hospice rider...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote