Giving Up a Professional License

Not knowing what kind of licence Geoffrey holds it is difficult to do anything but speak to our personal experience. I have friends who are retired physicians. One I believe has maintained his licence because he goes on charitable medical treatment trips and performs surgery. The other surgeon I think has let his licence lapse because his practice would require being on the top of his game every second, evidently he lectures from time to time.

Were I Geoffrey I would maintain my licence for a year or two and explore whether or not there are opportunities to use my skills for a cause I cared about.

Looks like my PE license has a grace period of six months after the renewal date (December 31, 2011, for me) and after that it is expired and I need to reapply and pay all the fees, etc. I don't plan on working and am almost looking forward to having it expire. I worked hard to get it, used it while I was working, but now it's just a reminder and I feel like I've moved on. I have zero desire to get the development hours. I had a plan in case I ended up working in the field part time, but with the economy that never materialized. I'm happy it didn't.

I had a plan in case I ended up working in the field part time, but with the economy that never materialized.

Something different than your brief post-career adventure as an expert witness for hire, correct? :LOL:

Something different than your brief post-career adventure as an expert witness for hire, correct? :LOL:

Expert witness always struck me a great second career. My friends dad has had a long profitable second career as expert witness in material science. I am betting that maintaining a professional license helps land those gigs :)

I worked many years for my license and certifications in a field that I love. I plan on renewing every two years. I give seminars, offer continuing education classes, and can set up a private practice if I want to. I consider these years to be my "encore presentation" for my life.

My "work" feeds my soul, and I hope to keep on doing what I love - just like Andy Roony:)

I also plan to keep my license and certifications for a little while after I FIRE, just in case. Plus, since I intend to volunteer abroad more often, they may check my quals online....
I plan on renewing

Last edited:

Yeah. Actually I just talked to a friend and he talked to the guy that was going to hire me part this last summer. He reminded me that Nevada passed a law that forbids me from working for companies that contract with the State fro two years. It was retroactive, too. The guy who was going to hire me told my friend that was the reason he didn't call me.

I wouldn't mind that expert witness gig. $150 an hour is almost worth going to work, you know?:D

I also just talked to my wife, like half an hour ago. I'm not renewing. I don't want to work in that field (heck, I don't want to work at all), so what's the point. I almost write in my post that if a firm offered me a boat load of money I would consider it, but I didn't because halfway through the sentence, I knew that wasn't true. I wouldn't. I've got better things to do.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about whether or not I had any licenses, other than my trusty driver's license. The only thing I could come up with is a stack of annual reports showing how well I've run a business. Then i reminded myself: "you're only as good as your next game". So that stack of annual reports is pretty worthless. When I go, I'm tossing them (anyone can see them online anytime they want anyway...:D).

R

Teaching license here and, after reading the responses above, hmmmmm. It would come in handy if I ever decided to sub in the libraries, but it would mean 60 hours of professional development each year. :facepalm: I doubt I will want to sub, but it would be nice to have as an option if I start missing it a lot.

My idea of retirement is freeing up my life. Have quit coloring my hair and wearing makeup in anticipation, lol. So, keeping my teaching license current would go against a I'M FREE mantra.

Guess right now, I'm 50/50 on the whole idea.

Back
Top Bottom