Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I've disconnected Dish after 17 years of being a customer. If I have it, I watch CNN/Fox and other news which can stress me. I thought this was a bit extreme as I have very little clue what is going on out there. People'd mention some recent events and DW and I often go "huh?" I am almost tuned out from the reality in that sense.
Same here. I cut cable back to basic two years ago and I'm so glad. If I had CNN I'd watch it. This summer I signed up for a trial sub of PlayStation Vue in order to get the Tour de France (NBCsn) but I cancelled after a week because all the extra channels, CNN, Fox, MSNBC and others were too tempting and gave me stress.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

Oh and despite my screen name, I've given up HGTV, too. I don't need the latest, greatest home decor to be happy.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I stopped reading newspaper article comments. Just like that, one day, I said, "These people are horrible! No more!"
Old 11-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I stopped reading newspaper article comments. Just like that, one day, I said, "These people are horrible! No more!"
+1

Not only newspaper comments, the comments section of most websites is often something resembling one of Dante's rings of hell. I just don't go there.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

funny you mention sports. I have long been a big sports fan. At some point, about 20 or 30 years ago I realized that I enjoy the post-season of baseball and football MORE when "my" teams aren't involved. Since I am a Cincinnati Reds and Bengals fan, this hasn't been an issue for me in quite some time.
Now, if I could get the Ohio State Buckeyes football team to consistently suck the way my pro teams do, I'd be completely stress free. Apparently the basketball team is already there.
So I have that going for me....
Old 11-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
When working, stress from the workplace overshadows most other sources of stress. When workplace stress goes away, other things bubble to the top; things I rarely noticed when working.
I've found this to be true. It's almost as if our minds need to grab onto something and worry. I sent off my applications for visas for a trip to India and Nepal last week. Last night I had vivid dreams that I was in my former employer's office in India (which I visited multiple times) and I realized I hadn't set up meetings with the right people, didn't have any place to sit, didn't know what I was supposed to be doing there, etc.

Well, at least it wasn't one of those dreams where you go to work in your underwear.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Seriously, they mostly seem to be places where the miserable congregate to attack and degrade anyone with a good attitude. In that way, it reminds me more of junior high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Not only newspaper comments, the comments section of most websites is often something resembling one of Dante's rings of hell. I just don't go there.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've found this to be true. It's almost as if our minds need to grab onto something and worry. I sent off my applications for visas for a trip to India and Nepal last week. Last night I had vivid dreams that I was in my former employer's office in India (which I visited multiple times) and I realized I hadn't set up meetings with the right people, didn't have any place to sit, didn't know what I was supposed to be doing there, etc.

Well, at least it wasn't one of those dreams where you go to work in your underwear.
Some shows and news stories get me thinking about the work environment. The worst nowadays is when I start to ponder how I might work and survive in such work places. That can trigger work dreams like going to work and not being able to find my desk and feeling like everyone else is engaged while I am clueless.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Oh, what a nightmare!

I haven't had dreams about my actual workplace, but I dreamed last night that I was interviewing to be a cook on a pirate ship. I was talking to another applicant, who was just a shadowy shape in the dream, and we were wondering how we could be so desperate as to want the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

Old 11-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haven't bought a newspaper in years and don't watch news on TV unless I walk through the room while my wife is watching. Too much fluff. I get almost as much news on the news commercials. We have less tolerance for crowds so we do our shopping during off hours while the people supporting our SS are working.

I enjoy riding (both bicycles and motorcycles), reading and recording for the visually impaired at the local PBS, and ceramic arts (throwing on a wheel) to help avoid stress.

We are also getting away for a week on a cruise leaving a port nearby. We don't care so much for the cruise line but they have a spa area on a limited/restricted availability that includes a couple of steam rooms, heated lounge area, thallasotherapy pool, etc. I will be bringing a couple of books and plan on staying on board the ship the entire time while the crowds are getting burned and pickled at the ports.

That should keep the stress down.

Cheers!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #51

Quote:
Seriously, they mostly seem to be places where the miserable congregate to attack and degrade anyone with a good attitude. In that way, it reminds me more of junior high.
+1

On a flight earlier this year a man sitting next to me who chose to engage me in conversation became visibly upset that I wasn't upset about the things he was upset about. Eventually I said "you know, the only thing that might stress me out are people who think I should be stressed out". He glowered but did not say another word to me for the rest of the flight. And did not reply when I said "have a nice day" as we got off the flight.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, what a nightmare!

I haven't had dreams about my actual workplace, but I dreamed last night that I was interviewing to be a cook on a pirate ship. I was talking to another applicant, who was just a shadowy shape in the dream, and we were wondering how we could be so desperate as to want the job.
...but did you get the job?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

You may well ask! Unfortunately, the alarm went off before I even got to talk to the first mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
...but did you get the job?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I also have tried to let go of stressful things. It does not seem to be as easy as i would like. If you have children and grandchildren you are not really in control of all stressors, because you have a lot of love invested in people over whom you have no control. You have an SO? He of she is very important to you, but not at all under your control. And death and illness? Hard to just shut of concern about this by turning off the TV.

Still, the kinds of opting-out behaviors mentioned here definitely help. Except my GF gets pissed at me for not being upset about political and societal things that get her going. But would my stress be lessened by DC'g her? Hell no, as one of life's very big stressors can be loneliness. And compared to love relationships, Meet-Ups are very thin gruel.

Ha
Old 11-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I dreamed last night that I was interviewing to be a cook on a pirate ship. I was talking to another applicant, who was just a shadowy shape in the dream, and we were wondering how we could be so desperate as to want the job.
Wow, I LIKE your dreams! Let me know if you get the job, I may be asking for a reference

My dreams rarely make that much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
On a flight earlier this year a man sitting next to me who chose to engage me in conversation became visibly upset that I wasn't upset about the things he was upset about.
There are important issues in the world, and it can be upsetting when things don't go as we'd hoped. I get that.

But my approach has always been to focus on the things I CAN change, and try not to stress over the ones I can't.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
But my approach has always been to focus on the things I CAN change, and try not to stress over the ones I can't.
IT is funny because I adhere to the same philosophy, but when I articulate it with friends, they say: It is important! How can you ignore it?

I say: Show me something I can do (not signing a petition!), and I will gladly do it!
Old 11-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I am going to practice the same look.

Today, I got a bit of stress trying to pick which restaurant to go to. Damn, why do we have to eat?
If you are super lazy you could container prep, do it once a week and then you don't need to think about it. Or just eat once a day but make it a feast, although thats likely unhealthy.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I also have tried to let go of stressful things. It does not seem to be as easy as i would like. If you have children and grandchildren you are not really in control of all stressors, because you have a lot of love invested in people over whom you have no control. You have an SO? He of she is very important to you, but not at all under your control. And death and illness? Hard to just shut of concern about this by turning off the TV.
True. My biggest stressers are my own family members. They have been for decades, with DW suffering from them just being married to me. No more (at least I will die trying). I decided to minimize interacting with the usual offenders.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

+1
Amazing how many rude and illiterate people comment on news stories. I skimmed a few a couple of times which was enough to convince me not to do it again.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
+1
Amazing how many rude and illiterate people comment on news stories. I skimmed a few a couple of times which was enough to convince me not to do it again.
You know what they call those people?

"Voters."