Going back to college at 65, and going Greek as well

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The New York Times Business > Retirement section has some great articles today:

Business News - Retirement - The New York Times

The good news is that we’re living longer. The bad news is we have to pay for it. Our collection of articles, multimedia and blog posts can help you get started.

• Choice for Tight Times: Save More or More Risk
  • What do you want to be, now that you're grown
  • A little of this, a little of that for older exercisers
  • Hey, at least you can be virtually immortal
  • For modern retirees, there's no place like home
  • Multigenerations
  • In auditing classes, older students find welcome on campus
Just thought I'd share!

Some great articles. Thanks for posting.

On the subject of going back to college, I remember studying for the bar exam in my old college town (cheaper to live, my younger brother had an extra bedroom and they taught the bar prep course there). Doing things around the campus (and going out on the weekends) was a bit weird as a 25-year old. Even though there was only a few years difference between me and the undergrads, a distinct gulf still existed. I had spent 3 years in a major East Coast city and was forced to take life seriously in order to succeed (in law school, internships, etc....) I just couldn't relate to drinking excessively, the social cliques, etc.... While I could remember doing those things only a few years earlier, it seemed like a lifetime away.

Maybe its true what they say - you can't really go back. But you can still go forward even if you're in the same place.

I guess a college degree would look good on your obituary :D:D:cool:

I have much better things to do with my retirement life than spend it in a stupid classroom. I went to college in 1965 and found out real quick I could not sit still long enough to listen to some professor lecture to me.:facepalm:

No offence to anyone that choose that job for a living but to me it would be the most boring job in the world.

Life is just to short to begin college at age 65:LOL:. Over and out on that one. o:nonono::nonono:ldtrig

I went back at age 51 and got my Bachelor Degree, at a traditional state university. The experience was a bit weird. No one knows quite what to make of you.

Can't imagine doing it at age 65.

Why would anyone do this? If you haven't figured it out by 65, a degree isn't going to help.

I went back for my MS when I was in my mid 30s. The culture shock was interesting (didn't bother me so much, but I think the kiddies were intimidated). Most of my courses were dual-level, so I was typically with folks half my age. I didn't form many friendships (with the exception of some of the Profs. and TAs.) I often spoke to Profs or TAs from my seat as if we were equals. I was often asked to tell "war stories" from the "real world". I typically got the highest or near highest scores in the classes. I was, after all, there for a "reason" and not to "find myself" nor to party. Much of what I was getting credit for, I had already done in "real life."

I can only imagine what it would be like at 65. Now, I would not only be really old, but also I would be a cultural misfit (a mainland, haole, kupuna in the midst of kama'aina.) Little of my w*rk (or life) experience would translate to the current crop of students, I fear. I'm sure there is much left for me to learn, but I prefer a setting where I can give as well as take knowledge. So I think my formal education is behind me. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom