Golden Girls House

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Heard this on NPR this morning. I could see me living like this....

Boomer Housemates Have More Fun : Shots - Health News : NPR

Kathleen Kelly, who runs the Family Caregiver Alliance and the National Center on Caregiving in San Francisco, says she's seeing the same sort of concern in her social circle. "I'm in my 50s, and my friends are all talking about, 'Could we all move in together? Could we buy an apartment building and all live together?' There are all sorts of permutations of this conversation," Kelly says. "But it really is something that people are thinking about, particularly women."

But this was really interesting to me. As I said in this thread, people do think Medicare covers MUCH more than it actually does:

Still, there are a lot of obstacles. One big one is that most boomers don't realize they might need help getting or paying for long-term care if their health falters.
"I call it the 70-70-70 conundrum," says Bruce Chernof, president and CEO of The SCAN Foundation, which focuses on long-term health care issues. "Seventy percent of people over the age of 65 will need some form of long-term care supports as they age," he says. But when you look at polling, "roughly 70 percent of Americans don't actually think they're likely to need it, and roughly 70 percent think Medicare will probably cover it when they get there."
The problem, of course, he adds, is that "those last two 70 percents are not true."

Living alone is my preference, but I suppose that at some point that could become impractical. I wonder about that as I go through my daily chores. Will I be able to do my laundry or unload groceries when I am very aged? Some people can, others can't. It is so hard to predict. I guess I will find out when I get there.

If/when either Frank or I can no longer live alone, our preference is to move in together and take care of one another. Or, if he is unable to take care of me, I will be able to pay for other arrangements. I certainly do not expect Medicare to pay for long term care. :) A "Golden Girls" type of arrangement is pretty far down on my list of preferred living situations.

I'll go on record again that I had the best idea of all...the Hooters Girls retirement home for old pharts. They may not live very long there, but they'll enjoy the heck out of it!

In all seriousness, I could see living in a shared housing arrangement at some point, though. Since we are delightedly child-free, we expect to need to create our own safety net for care when we get to that point. Or, as I've suggested to a younger cousin, just drop me off in the woods a good ways from the road and see if I can make it out. ;)

40 years ago, a bunch of us said that we would all meet up in our 60's and try communal living, that in fact we had done as an experiment earlier in our lives.

Well Grasshopper fired earlier than everyone else, and we haven't had any takers. Plenty of room at the ranch, for the boom-a-rama.

One BIL is certain that after he and I get The Big Ache DW and her sister will be the "two old biddies" living in a small house.

There's a good chance he's right.

Back
Top Bottom