Golf cart friendly

trapperjohn

Recycles dryer sheets
A few years ago, DW and I did the 3 day Lifestyle Visit (or whatever it's called) at The Villages in FL. I realize that there are pros and cons to The Villages, but one thing I really liked was that I could go anywhere via golf cart, including shopping, out to eat, social sctivities, etc. That strikes me as a good thing, especially if for some reason later in life I can't or dont want to drive a car.

As we get closer to retirement, we've been researching 55+ / active adult communities in CA, AZ, NM, and TX. There seem to be a lot of nice communities, but I never see any information on how easy it is to get around by golf cart.

Are there any communities, in particular larger communities in those states, that are golf cart friendly?

My mother lived in Rotona West, FL. It's near Englewood and just south of Venice. That was golf cart friendly. Ed McMahon (from Johnny Carson) had a home there too.

Our 55+ area is only residential, but golf carts are very, very popular, just like they were at some RV parks we used to visit. People mostly use them to go to and from the clubhouse or social functions.

Quite a few residents go out for a late afternoon/early evening golf cart cruise to check out the neighborhood.

We walk. It's hard to not be a little snippy about that. The residents here are not that old for a 55+ community, but some of them are a bit out of shape. We have plenty of walking and bicycling residents too.

I live on a golf course in a residential neighborhood - almost everyone that's a member at the club has a cart to get to/from the pool/course/clubhouse, etc.

I'm sure just about every neighborhood around a golf course in those states is GC friendly.

Remarkably, the city of Roswell, Georgia, now permits (registered) golf carts on practically all streets except State Routes (i.e. SR 92, SR 9, SR 120, SR 140); streets with posted speed limits of 30 or higher; sidewalks; trails within any park (including Riverfront Trail/Park); and, facilities labeled with signs stating the use of golf carts is prohibited. It's not necessarily a hotbed of retirees, but my spouse and I have relocated here just five years before retirement, with an eye toward retiring here.

Rancho Bernardo, CA on the east side of the I-15 and near the Bernardo Inn and Bernardo Winery (thumbs up!) are golf cart friendly, although I'm not sure if there is a minimum age.

Remarkably, the city of Roswell, Georgia, now permits (registered) golf carts on practically all streets except State Routes (i.e. SR 92, SR 9, SR 120, SR 140); streets with posted speed limits of 30 or higher; sidewalks; trails within any park (including Riverfront Trail/Park); and, facilities labeled with signs stating the use of golf carts is prohibited. It's not necessarily a hotbed of retirees, but my spouse and I have relocated here just five years before retirement, with an eye toward retiring here.

We have golf carts on our city streets here too. This trend has really grown in the past decade.

Our town is a regular old Chicago suburb, not in the least a retirement destination, and it also approved similar vehicles and similar prohibitions about eight years ago. The vehicles have to have electric motors and turn signals and windows and windshield wipers. I have never ever actually seen one on the streets here :LOL:, not surprising considering the weather six months of the year, but I'm thinking some dealer thought it would be a good idea....

I visited Sun City Center, FL with a friend whose parents had purchased a ranch house there and it was golf cart friendly. That included golf cart sized parking spaces at the CVS. That was at least 5 years ago, but I doubt that things have changed.

No they are still the same... my Mom lives there as does my aunt and some friends. Golf carts can go on most streets but cannot travel on 675 (the main drag there) but can cross 675 at signals. Also, the moved the Walmart to the edge of town and then added a special golf cart crossing (like a pedestrian crosswalk) for residents to cross another major state highway.

I wonder if they'd let me ride my Polaris Razor 1000 side by side if I told them it was a golf cart with fancy paint?

Back
Top Bottom