Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfgrover15 View Post
Good point. Neither of us are really overly competitive . He can be a little more intense than me and do the in your face because he got a better score (he tries to come off as joking) but if I gently remind him it is about fun together and if he gets a better score I really don't care he will keep his happy dancing to himself. I guess until we try it we won't know our individual reactions. Like you said we just need to relax and enjoy the process. If it becomes not fun I won't stick with it
My game has progressed faster than my DW's, but we balance out well. Half the time I play with her (either just ourselves or with another couple), the other half of the time I play by myself or with folks as good as or better than me, when I want mild "competition" among friends.

DW's biggest challenge is hitting long shots, So with her I play shorter courses. To keep things moving we'll both tee off, but then both hit our second shot from the best tee shot. On the green we limit ourselves to 3 putt attempts max.

Now, if you want to talk about MINIATURE Golf... then the gloves definitely come off .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I don't golf very often, or very well, and usually don't even bother to keep score. And, if necessary, just pick up the ball, or give up on the lost one, and move on. I don't care, and am not that competitive, so it makes the game more enjoyable.
Oh...I forgot to mention the sandwiches and small cooler aboard the golf cart.

Some courses won't let you take coolers anymore, so a heavy duty garbage bag and ice in the long side zipper compartment of the golf bag serves well.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We live in a 'golf' community. Well the course is struggling and it's status is a little in doubt, however, neither DW or I play. Truth is, I don't beat myself with chains either. We also live on a lake and don't have a boat, maybe next year, but not now. My point, we socialize with the boat people and the golfers. We joined the club and have lots of friends. I would only take up golf if you really, really want to play. Or just go out and buy some chains, it hurts just a little less, is less frustrating and a lot cheaper!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We live in a 'golf' community. Well the course is struggling and it's status is a little in doubt, however, neither DW or I play. Truth is, I don't beat myself with chains either. We also live on a lake and don't have a boat, maybe next year, but not now. My point, we socialize with the boat people and the golfers. We joined the club and have lots of friends. I would only take up golf if you really, really want to play. Or just go out and buy some chains, it hurts just a little less, is less frustrating and a lot cheaper!
I get what your saying. I am not putting any pressure on us to conform. We may do it once and be like "meh" or we may be wowed. My DH thinks inside the box and I am more open to trying new things so the more "educated" he can be might make him more willing to at least try it.
sgfgrover15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:33 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Oh...I forgot to mention the sandwiches and small cooler aboard the golf cart.

Some courses won't let you take coolers anymore, so a heavy duty garbage bag and ice in the long side zipper compartment of the golf bag serves well.

Most courses I play here in NE Florida have coolers permanently attached to the cart!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Most courses I play here in NE Florida have coolers permanently attached to the cart!

Mike

... and mine comes with ice! We are not so popular with cart girl but I am still LBYM'ng.

To OP, don't let the golf naysayers scare you. It's a perfect sports for early or aging retirees. It gives you just enough stress vs all other benefits: outdoor activity, exercise if you decide to walk the course, lots of fun, a goal to shoot for (mine is to go below 10 handicap index), a chance for DW to beat me at sport (or hit me with her golf ball), networking (meeting new people), and the list goes on and on. If does not give you stress, you are not having fun and will soon quit.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #67
Administrator

Here's a little tidbit from the morning paper. This man involved wasn't playing, he was recovering golf balls, but as far as I know gators aren't that choosy.

Quote:
Stephen Martinez said he didn't see the alligator that bit his left hand Wednesday at Bonaventure Country Club, but he definitely felt it.

The gator "just snapped," Martinez said before leaving the Cleveland Clinic emergency room. "The gator was just being a gator, and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Sun Sentinel
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here's a little tidbit from the morning paper. This man involved wasn't playing, he was recovering golf balls, but as far as I know gators aren't that choosy.

Sun Sentinel
Diving for golf balls is a nasty, dangerous job. I'll pass.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

As a tennis player I mocked golf for years, but decided to give it a try when I turned 50. It's a frustrating game for sure, but can be truly amazing. I have played for five years now and my wife for three. Neither of us are as good at golf as we are at tennis, but we are getting better and it is a nice activity to do together. I took off from w#rk yesterday to play with a friend. What a great morning. I say, give it a try, take some lessons early on and have fun.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #70
Gone but not forgotten

... a few things to avoid

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
That was great.
sgfgrover15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw this regarding basic etiquette from a golf web site.

Can you suggest some common golf etiquette? What etiquette rules do you see frequently broken?

Thanks for writing MyGolfInstructor.com.

That's a great question for beginner golfers. The first thing to note is nobody cares what you shoot as long as you aren't slow or distracting. I stress this over and over to my beginner students. When I was at my professional peak I would play often with people shooting in the 100s. It never bothered me in the least unless they were slow. Most good golfers won't know what you shoot or care as they are so focused on their own game. If you slow play down or distract them however, it can annoy them.

Golf is such a great game because it allows all levels to have fun playing together. Here are three common areas for etiquette breaches:

1) Always stand out of someone's line of sight. The best place is to stand a few feet in front of them face on so they can't see you when they are looking down at the ball.
2) Don't walk in someone's line on the putting green. That means an imaginary line between their ball and the hole, which could be curved if there is a break to the putt.
3) Don't play out of turn. The player whose ball is furthest from the hole is always up first.

I also believe not talking while others are hitting should be mentioned even though I assume most people know that.

I hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks.
By: Maria Palozola
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post

Can you suggest some common golf etiquette? What etiquette rules do you see frequently broken?
Fixing your divots in fairway and ball marks on green are one that is often broken. It's the very 1st etiquette my golf instructor taught at our beginning golf clinic. Fix two ball marks - one for you and your partner.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote