Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Anyway, it's nice to "feel" what it's like to keep it inside while out on the course, and to get the visual feedback of a beautiful baby draw into the target.
I find it difficult to hit the green with a draw. I try and hit a high fade on approach shots.

Of course....our season is done so I'm working on my carving skillz on the hill
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So one of the "benefits" of my lessons is that I have a one way miss now-to the left if I do. (I'm a righty.)

I like that. But, I'm having to "relearn" how to fade the ball. It seems to be a delicate process now so that I don't over cook it.

It's a never ending process eh?

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #223

I prefer to play with a fade. As Lee Trevino once said "you can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen".
Old 01-06-2016, 07:10 AM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Fades have never been easy to hit for me. I'm a natural drawer of the ball. At this stage and losing distance as I age, I'm happy that I hit a draw. Actually with my short irons I hit the ball pretty straight. It's 7 irons on up that I have a slight draw.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Fades have never been easy to hit for me. I'm a natural drawer of the ball. At this stage and losing distance as I age, I'm happy that I hit a draw. Actually with my short irons I hit the ball pretty straight. It's 7 irons on up that I have a slight draw.
Do you mean 7 iron and lower (D to 6)?

Same here. My natural swing is a slight push with a draw back to the target if my tempo is good. If my setup is too closed or I rush my swing it can easily turn into a hook.

My 7 to lob wedge are usually straight.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I like that. But, I'm having to "relearn" how to fade the ball. It seems to be a delicate process now so that I don't over cook it.
When I was taking indoor video lessons at Jim's golf in Houston many years ago, one of the drills we did was to hit 3 draws, 3 fades and 3 straight with a 6 iron. Good drill.

I think Jim is in KC now.

I don't think you will see many pros miss an approach shot left, for a reason. I'm a lefty and I hate missing it right.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #227
Give me a forum ...

I'd be happy with hitting 9 straight.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #228
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'd be happy with hitting 9 straight.
that's the most difficult shot in golf isn't it? when I get behind trees I find it useful to hit that punch hook around them. Hitting a fade around a tree is much more difficult for me.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
When I was taking indoor video lessons at Jim's golf in Houston many years ago, one of the drills we did was to hit 3 draws, 3 fades and 3 straight with a 6 iron. Good drill.
Sounds like a great drill. I'll have to try that next time I'm on the range.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #230

Just got done with my 3rd year as Walking Scorer for Shotlink at the Hyundai TOC. While Spieths golf is amazing, the anecdotal stories about how high quality of a person he is are almost more amazing.
I enjoy walking with the pros, but on Saturday I was on "Administration" duty, having to sit in a tent and check in/out the equipment. Too much like a job. Yuck.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #231
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Just got done with my 3rd year as Walking Scorer for Shotlink at the Hyundai TOC. While Spieths golf is amazing, the anecdotal stories about how high quality of a person he is are almost more amazing.
I enjoy walking with the pros, but on Saturday I was on "Administration" duty, having to sit in a tent and check in/out the equipment. Too much like a job. Yuck.
My wife volunteers, and I get all the freebies. She even orders her shirts in my size

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #232

Quote:

Good for you! What a great tournament to work.

I volunteered for the WGC @ Harding Park in San Francisco in March 2015. I ran Shotlink lasers. It was a blast!

I think walking scorer is the only job that's better. Hope I get a chance to do that in the future.

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Two-by-Two
Old 01-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #233

Two-by-Two

Well, the rain stopped and the waters parted---and the golfers returned to the courses two-by-two.

After cancelling weekly golf on Tuesday, because I'm not very good at water polo, I was able to get in a good practice session yesterday @ Peacock Gap in San Rafael, CA. After a while, the sun actually came out & it got...well, warm.

I see that the forecast for this coming week has us getting back into the 60s with a generous amount of sun. Looking forward to that.
Discounted Greens Fees
Old 01-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #234

Discounted Greens Fees

I'm booking an upcoming vacation trip & started to investigate golf courses in that area. I'm curious what discounted greens fees websites/services you all have used, and which ones you'd recommend.

In the past, I've used "GolfNow" and "HawaiiTeeTimes.com" and I'd recommend them both.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #235

Just had our Member Guest. It was a match play format, six teams per flight, playing 27 holes Saturday and 18 Sunday so you have 9 hole match against all teams in your flight. The six flight winners then went out and played a 3 hole, total score " playoff", no handicap, but different tees based on your handicap.

I closed with six birdies in the last 11 holes as we won our flight, making a ridiculous amount of 20-30 footers, but came up a shot short in the playoff. Our team was 2 over. I thought 3 over would win, but another team was two over, and the winners were one shot better.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I closed with six birdies in the last 11 holes
great playing!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #237
Recycles dryer sheets

Played nine holes Saturday and eighteen Sunday. The weather in Boise was darn nice Saturday, but pretty chilly yesterday. Regardless it was the earliest that I have played in a calendar year. For some unknown reason my golf game had not improved since my last round December 8th.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Played nine holes Saturday and eighteen Sunday. The weather in Boise was darn nice Saturday, but pretty chilly yesterday. Regardless it was the earliest that I have played in a calendar year. For some unknown reason my golf game had not improved since my last round December 8th.
how wet was it out there? were the greens frozen?
Old 01-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

The greens were fuzzy and slow, but not frozen. It did not feel all that wet on the course itself. It was just down right soggy the last rounds of 2015.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
The greens were fuzzy and slow, but not frozen. It did not feel all that wet on the course itself. It was just down right soggy the last rounds of 2015.
guess I need to get my cart out of storage....