Join Early Retirement Today

Simulator
Old 01-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Simulator

Took a golf lesson yesterday...with a twist. Instead of a normal lesson in the training bay, I played a virtual 9-holes with observation & commentary from my instructor. It was a blast!

I hit all the shots except putts. We did automatic 2-putts unless I was inside 3 ft, which was a one putt. I scored well, which made me feel good. But, in the simulator, every lie is perfect & the matt is forgiving so, that's a bit different than the real world. The true test will be whether it translates to the real course when I play today.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #242

my old indoor instructor had one of those simulators - hitting off a mat promotes a draw - good luck!

got a tee time Friday but it looks like rain (weekend too) - boo!

Old 01-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A friend sent me this today.

Golf Poem

In My Hand I Hold A Ball,
White And Dimpled, And Rather Small.
Oh, How Bland It Does Appear,
This Harmless Looking Little Sphere.

By Its Size I Could Not Guess
The Awesome Strength It Does Possess.
But Since I Fell Beneath Its Spell,
I've Wandered Through The Fires Of Hell.

My Life Has Not Been Quite The Same
Since I Chose To Play This Stupid Game.
It Rules My Mind For Hours On End;
A Fortune It Has Made Me Spend.

It Has Made Me Curse And Made Me Cry,
And Hate Myself And Want To Die.
It Promises Me A Thing Called Par,
If I Hit It Straight And Far.

To Master Such A Tiny Ball,
Should Not Be Very Hard At All.
But My Desires The Ball Refuses,
And Does Exactly As It Chooses.

It Hooks And Slices, Dribbles And Dies,
And Disappears Before My Eyes.
Often It Will Have A Whim,
To Hit A Tree Or Take A Swim.

With Miles Of Grass On Which To Land,
It Finds A Tiny Patch Of Sand.
Then Has Me Offering Up My Soul,
If Only It Would Find The Hole.

It's Made Me Whimper Like A Pup,
And Swear That I Will Give It Up.
And Take To Drink To Ease My Sorrow,
But The Ball Knows ... I'll Be Back Tomorrow.

Stand proud you noble swingers of clubs
And losers of balls!

A recent study found that the average golfer
Walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that golfers drink, on
Average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

This means that, on average, golfers get about
41 miles to the gallon!

Kind of makes you proud. Almost makes you
Feel like a hybrid........
Old 01-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #244
Full time employment: Posting here.

haha, that's great, thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #245

So a question I get occasionally is, "Did retirement improve your golf game?". At first, no, because just doing the same thing does not really improve anything. But now after 4 lessons, a lot of practice, and three years, I have shaved 3 strokes off my 18 hole average. Not bad for an old guy. Just happy to be out there most of the time, but it is nice to score well occasionally.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #246
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
So a question I get occasionally is, "Did retirement improve your golf game?". At first, no, because just doing the same thing does not really improve anything. But now after 4 lessons, a lot of practice, and three years, I have shaved 3 strokes off my 18 hole average. Not bad for an old guy. Just happy to be out there most of the time, but it is nice to score well occasionally.
What retirement has done for me, strangely enough, is greatly increase my distance - which, at age 66, is freaking out my longtime playing partners. I bought a quality radar unit and discovered that my smooth swing (which everyone, including instructors, had always praised) was generating a whopping 89-90 mph. Just by working on my own with a net in the backyard and discovering what moves correlated directly with clubhead speed (for me), as well as lifting weights, I've been able to increase my speed to 98-102 mph, which means a solid 25 yards more. Yes, I am somewhat wilder - but after 50 years of 220-yard drives, I'll take the trade-off. I am not prepared to make any concessions whatsoever to being an "old guy" until my body actually says "you're an old guy."
Old 01-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #247

To echo Runner, exercise has helped my distance. I workout 1.5 hours, six days a week at a Plant Fitness about five miles from the house. My routine is walking three miles on the treadmill, five miles on the bike, a small amount of lifting weights for the upper body and using the ab workout stations. The exercises help keep me limber as much as anything and I find myself getting more weight shift through the swing, hence more power, swing speed resulting in more distance.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
What retirement has done for me, strangely enough, is greatly increase my distance - which, at age 66, is freaking out my longtime playing partners. I bought a quality radar unit and discovered that my smooth swing (which everyone, including instructors, had always praised) was generating a whopping 89-90 mph. Just by working on my own with a net in the backyard and discovering what moves correlated directly with clubhead speed (for me), as well as lifting weights, I've been able to increase my speed to 98-102 mph, which means a solid 25 yards more. Yes, I am somewhat wilder - but after 50 years of 220-yard drives, I'll take the trade-off. I am not prepared to make any concessions whatsoever to being an "old guy" until my body actually says "you're an old guy."
Get a bit of roll in Winslow?

I can tell you that I wish we were getting some roll here in NorCal. Lately, we just pull it out of its mud divot in the fairway, move it to a place with no standing water, then hit it again.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
To echo Runner, exercise has helped my distance. I workout 1.5 hours, six days a week at a Plant Fitness about five miles from the house. My routine is walking three miles on the treadmill, five miles on the bike, a small amount of lifting weights for the upper body and using the ab workout stations. The exercises help keep me limber as much as anything and I find myself getting more weight shift through the swing, hence more power, swing speed resulting in more distance.
What about yoga? Does anyone do yoga to increase flexibility & strength...and their golf game?

I've started taking a weekly yoga class and the movements seem to improve flexibility in my hips & shoulders, which are very tight. But, I need to do it more often to get significant, long term results.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
That's great! I gained in accuracy, not length. Actually a little shorter now on irons especially.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #251
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a week long on-line course that I am taking at home for w*rk. For lunch break I go to the garage where I have set up a 9x9x10 cage, mat, SkyTrak and whack balls. It's quite a nice break. Working on speed.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
What about yoga? Does anyone do yoga to increase flexibility & strength...and their golf game?

I've started taking a weekly yoga class and the movements seem to improve flexibility in my hips & shoulders, which are very tight. But, I need to do it more often to get significant, long term results.
I do a modified version of yoga's Sun Greeting before I golf.

Other yoga, no. But I have been doing Qi Gong. Helps with balance, and joint flexibility.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I get a little more distance with my drives since I retired and I think some of it is my ability to stay limber. Better weight shift as you suggest. Plus just playing and practicing more has translated into more shots being hit on the sweet spot which = more distance. Of course equipment is better too.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #254

you don't have to be that limber to hit the ball a long way - one of my golf buddies takes it back about half way and hits it over 300 - he has a great weight shift and strong legs
Old 02-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #255
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like the weather will be getting nice for the next couple of weeks here in the Bay Area. I'm looking forward to it, I haven't been playing much golf this year.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #256

walked 9 Saturday, carried my clubs - I think I shot a 4 over. Not bad for the first golf of the year.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
you don't have to be that limber to hit the ball a long way - one of my golf buddies takes it back about half way and hits it over 300 - he has a great weight shift and strong legs
If he's a senior like most here, that's impressive.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
If he's a senior like most here, that's impressive.
mid-40s, he's been playing golf since about 5 years old

cutoff for senior championship is 50 - I'm going to try and repeat my flight win this year
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #259

There are some things you can do to slightly increase distance or maintain what you have as you age but in most cases being able to hit it long is a natural ability that you either have or you don't. You'll be much better off not being obsessed with it and instead work on your short game. The club golfer with the better short game will beat the bomber most of the time.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Walked 18 today for the first time in a long time. My home course is to hilly to walk 18... at best I walk the front 9 and ride the back 9. My legs were fine but my feet were hurting for the last few holes.