Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

his beard looks a lot like Old Tom Morris' beard

<------ also prefers clean cut look
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #342
Full time employment: Posting here.

The good news today - a pair of birdies. The (not unexpected) bad news - I'm still looking for my short game. Way too many 12 footers for par to shoot a good score. Oh well, an 84 this early in the season still is reason to be optimistic.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #343
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Played today for the second time this year. Started out with two good shots on a long par four which I parred and then things went downhill from there. Still didn't break 100 which is not bad this early in the year and playing a soaked course with no roll whatsoever.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
The good news today - a pair of birdies. The (not unexpected) bad news - I'm still looking for my short game. Way too many 12 footers for par to shoot a good score. Oh well, an 84 this early in the season still is reason to be optimistic.
I had two birdies Saturday and shot a 90.

Missed two short birdie putts too. Having some issues out of the bunker...

Index is down to a 13.3
Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #345
Recycles dryer sheets

Golf is healthier then we think -http://www.golfdigest.com/story/pete-bevacqua-explains-why-golf-isnt-in-the-rough
Old 03-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #346

Shot a 79. A couple of early birdies offset a couple of double bogies. Tried to give things away at the end, but made a 15 footer for bogey on 18 to save the day.

It's almost scary how well I'm hitting the ball this early in the season. I've made a couple of minor grip and posture changes, but nothing that would have led me to believe that things would be going this well. Oh well, nothing to do but ride the horse until it throws me.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #347
Give me a forum ...

great playing!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #348

At Hyatt Indian Wells. Playing the Celebrity and Players courses tomorrow and Thursday with my 2 cousins who used to beat me growing up, but I have lower handicap now. One of them still wants to play heads up, while the other wants his strokes.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
At Hyatt Indian Wells. Playing the Celebrity and Players courses tomorrow and Thursday with my 2 cousins who used to beat me growing up, but I have lower handicap now. One of them still wants to play heads up, while the other wants his strokes.
I guess you can take the money from one and give it to the other.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I played the longer regular tees and played well. Had 4 birdies and 6 bogeys for a +2 round. One of my best rounds in a long time. Today.......no birdies and a crap load of bogeys. And played the shorter senior tees today. Golf can bring you back to reality pretty quick.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yesterday I played the longer regular tees and played well. Had 4 birdies and 6 bogeys for a +2 round. One of my best rounds in a long time. Today.......no birdies and a crap load of bogeys. And played the shorter senior tees today. Golf can bring you back to reality pretty quick.
Wow! and then, ooh, wince. And finally, yup, I agree, that's what keeps me coming back.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #352
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yup. 12 stroke difference between Friday and yesterday and Friday was on a longer course. How can that be? It seems I have a couple of good rounds and am on the verge of thinking I have the game figured out and then things go to hell in a handbasket.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #353

Quote:
At Hyatt Indian Wells. Playing the Celebrity and Players courses tomorrow and Thursday .
Would appreciate a mini review of both courses. I'll be heading to Palm Springs in May and those are two courses I haven't played yet, looking to try a couple new ones.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Would appreciate a mini review of both courses. I'll be heading to Palm Springs in May and those are two courses I haven't played yet, looking to try a couple new ones.
+1

Been thinking about a cold weather trip to Palm Springs one of these days and would like some direct feedback on the courses.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #355

Players and Celebrity courses are both immaculate. Greens are fast, probably 10.5-11 stimp. Played with someone who plays many courses here who says these are her favorites.

Five sets of tees, so you could play 6100 to 7400. Celebrity greens are more undulating, but Players greens are slightly faster. Pace of play is excellent even though courses were packed, at 4:10-4:20 for our two rounds.

I'd definitely play either course again.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #356
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Pace of play is excellent even though courses were packed, at 4:10-4:20 for our two rounds.
that's not excellent, that's glacial

under 3:30 is acceptable, 3:00 is excellent
Old 03-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
that's not excellent, that's glacial

under 3:30 is acceptable, 3:00 is excellent
3:30 is about what we do on our home course.

You don't play much resort golf, I take it. 5:00 isn't unusual at many places.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #358
Give me a forum ...

Great day on the links today. Slowed down my backswing and it worked wonders.... was striking the ball well off the tee and grooving approach shots.... putting which is usually a strong suite wasn't working well other than draining a 12 footer for birdie on 18.

Improved 17 strokes from a dismal outing on Monday that tied my worst for the year. Round took 3:50 which is typical for this course when it is crowded.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #359
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You don't play much resort golf, I take it. 5:00 isn't unusual at many places.
No, I usually play at private clubs when I travel. I played fossil trace once in CO and I almost slit my wrists. We ended up quitting after 15 holes.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #360

Quote:
Players and Celebrity courses are both immaculate. Greens are fast, probably 10.5-11 stimp. Played with someone who plays many courses here who says these are her favorites.

Five sets of tees, so you could play 6100 to 7400. Celebrity greens are more undulating, but Players greens are slightly faster. Pace of play is excellent even though courses were packed, at 4:10-4:20 for our two rounds.

I'd definitely play either course again.
Thanks for the review! I agree, for a resort course that is packed anything under 4:30 is very good. Some courses do a better job than others at marshaling and moving things along.
Closed Thread