Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
My golf goals are simply to keep playing and having fun in the process.
Frayne-Lots of good golf in/near Chattanooga. I'm sure you'll be able to achieve that goal.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

A Couple of Excellent Golf Resources
Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #22

A Couple of Excellent Golf Resources

Below are links to two websites that I use often; more than a few times per week.

First, "Swing by Swing", which is an excellent (and FREE) phone app. It is a golf GPS app which has ~30k courses preloaded, shows all hazards, and enables you to keep score during the round. It also stores your rounds, calculates and tracks your handicap index, and keeps your stats. I'm still using the free app but, you can upgrade to their premium service ("Looper") to keep more detailed stats and data. I've used this app for more than a year and I think it's outstanding!

Free Golf GPS Rangefinder and Scorecard | Swing By Swing

Second, "Revolution Golf", which is a website with lots of free instructional videos. It includes instructional videos on every aspect of the game, including every swing, fitness, products, and funny stuff. You can get on their email list, which include product promotions but, the signal (useful info) to noise (selling) ratio is high, and I've received lots of useful stuff by being on their list.

Golf Instruction Videos | Golf Swing Drills By Tour Level Golf Coaches

I hope you find these links useful.
http://smileys.smilchat.net/smiley/l...golfminiat.gif
Old 09-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Yes, Bandon Dunes...good eye.

It really is golf heaven; the place is all golf all the time. Beyond having 5 world class courses (5 if you count Bandon Preserve), they have the best practice facilities I've ever seen.

Our group normally goes to Kiawah so, BD was a different experience for us. Kiawah is also world class but, a very different environment. The Ocean Course is links and has similarities to BD but, the remainder of the courses are low country resort courses, which are beautiful as well.
Also been to Kiawah - the Ocean Course is the one Pete Dye course that I like. The other courses were fun, but my memories are fuzzy due to the 40 degree temps and 25 mph winds when we visited at Thanksgiving a few years ago.

The thing that I really like about BD is just what you say, it's all golf. There's no attempt to impress you with "amenities" (although everything there is very good). Plus, it is so nice to go somewhere and have the default assumption be walking instead of having to talk my way out of a cart.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #24

Golf is my main activity in retirement.

Usually play 2/week, practice and workout 2/week. 4.5 index.

I've been on our state golf association for about 10 years. Really enjoy it. Took the USGA Rules test and scored pretty well. Am now in charge of the U.S. Amatuer qualifier in our area, as well as helping with other tournaments.

Amazing story at this years US Am Qualifier. One player, who played in the U.S. Open and Am last year and is a senior on scholarship at U of Oregon, shot 70-67. This years state am champ, scholarship U of Michigan golf, shoots 72-64(course record). Shooting 68-65 to win by 3, is a kid who isn't on scholarship anywhere, he wasn't even in high school yet, just finished 8th grade! (But there were three other qualifiers younger than him in this years Am.)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Also been to Kiawah - the Ocean Course is the one Pete Dye course that I like. The other courses were fun, but my memories are fuzzy due to the 40 degree temps and 25 mph winds when we visited at Thanksgiving a few years ago.

The thing that I really like about BD is just what you say, it's all golf. There's no attempt to impress you with "amenities" (although everything there is very good). Plus, it is so nice to go somewhere and have the default assumption be walking instead of having to talk my way out of a cart.
We go in the Spring (late April - early May), when it's nice weather but not yet muggy & buggy; also not yet high season.

I hear you on walking. I walk whenever possible when I play here at home; away from home, walking with a caddie pretty much spoils you for anything else once you've done it a time or two; not cheap though.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Golf is my main activity in retirement.

Usually play 2/week, practice and workout 2/week. 4.5 index.

I've been on our state golf association for about 10 years. Really enjoy it. Took the USGA Rules test and scored pretty well. Am now in charge of the U.S. Amatuer qualifier in our area, as well as helping with other tournaments.

Amazing story at this years US Am Qualifier. One player, who played in the U.S. Open and Am last year and is a senior on scholarship at U of Oregon, shot 70-67. This years state am champ, scholarship U of Michigan golf, shoots 72-64(course record). Shooting 68-65 to win by 3, is a kid who isn't on scholarship anywhere, he wasn't even in high school yet, just finished 8th grade! (But there were three other qualifiers younger than him in this years Am.)
Well, Maui is one fine place to live then! I love vacationing there; always hard to choose where to play among all the great courses on Maui. I have to admit though that one of my favorite golf days was on Lanai (while on vacation to Maui). I played both courses on Lanai (the Greg Norman & Jack Nicklaus courses); they couldn't be more different & both were awesome. A wonderful way to spend a long day.

What are your favorite Maui courses?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Since you are in the bay area, you have too many good choices on where to play.
For public play you have Harding Park along with many great choices in the bay area. To your south in Santa Cruz, you have Pasatiempo, which was the inspiration for Augusta National. And in the Monterrey area you obviously have Pebble Beach, Spyglass & Poppy Hills, but a couple of real gems include the old Fort Ord courses, Bayonet & Blackhorse. Also San Juan Oaks is near by. Finally with the NCGA, you can get on private courses like Olympic club for special play days on occasion.

You can tell I miss the golf in that area.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Well, Maui is one fine place to live then! I love vacationing there; always hard to choose where to play among all the great courses on Maui. I have to admit though that one of my favorite golf days was on Lanai (while on vacation to Maui). I played both courses on Lanai (the Greg Norman & Jack Nicklaus courses); they couldn't be more different & both were awesome. A wonderful way to spend a long day.

What are your favorite Maui courses?
Summers I return to Montana, where I help with the golf assn and Am.

On Maui I belong to King Kamehameha. Great course and magnificent Frank Lloyd Wright designed clubhouse.

Most people think Plantstion course is best. I've never played Plantation in Kapalua, although I've walked it several times at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions as a shot link scorer.

Other courses I occasionally play are the resort courses at Wailea, and the nine hole Maui CC. MCC used to be a treat, but it's condition as deteriorated significantly in the last few years.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #29

Do you guys have a limit to how much you'll spend for a round of golf? I think the most I've ever spent is $75 and I've played at most of the top golf courses in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Palm Springs. I usually stay away from those areas during the peak season (Jan-Apr) when prices are crazy (IMO).

Was on vacation at Carmel/Monterey CA last month and the closest I came to Pebble Beach was walking along Carmel beach next to holes 8-10. The only way to get advanced reservations there is to stay at the resort (~$700/night), then another $495 for golf. If you don't stay at the resort you can only reserve 24 hours in advance and the cost is $495 plus cost of caddie. I have a hard time justifying 6 'Benjamins' for a round of golf.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Do you guys have a limit to how much you'll spend for a round of golf? I think the most I've ever spent is $75 and I've played at most of the top golf courses in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Palm Springs. I usually stay away from those areas during the peak season (Jan-Apr) when prices are crazy (IMO).

Was on vacation at Carmel/Monterey CA last month and the closest I came to Pebble Beach was walking along Carmel beach next to holes 8-10. The only way to get advanced reservations there is to stay at the resort (~$700/night), then another $495 for golf. If you don't stay at the resort you can only reserve 24 hours in advance and the cost is $495 plus cost of caddie. I have a hard time justifying 6 'Benjamins' for a round of golf.
I struggle with this. If I'm on my own, I will rarely spend more than $50 on a round of golf. I find that I have a lot of fun traveling across the country and playing various munis along the way. You meet a lot of interesting people that way.

When it comes to a "golf trip," then I really don't think about the cost of an individual round, I think more about the entire trip and whether the experience is worth the total outlay. For instance, I went to Bandon Dunes the first week of September (high season). It would be next to impossible to do this for less than about $4000 with airfare from the East Coast. I played 9 rounds of golf. So this works out to about $450 per round. I would never drop $450 on the counter for greens fees, but for lodging/air/golf in this location I feel that I got my money's worth. Rack rate for Bandon Dunes resort guests is $265 for the first round and $135 for the second. If you have the time, energy and buddies who will tee off with the rising sun, the third round of the day is free.

I agree with you about Pebble Beach, as much as I would like to play it, the costs are over my threshold of comfort.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #31

Pebble is on my bucket list. I figure I better spend the $ before I lose it all in the market��.That's great to know they have caddies.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I played a course in Santa Fe, NM a week ago for just $23 including cart. It was an excellent course with pretty scenery. Wasn't busy either. Wish I could find deals like that in my area.

I've belonged to a club for 25+ years. But now that I spend 1/2 my time on the coast, just doesn't make sense to keep my membership. Plus the club is semi-private now and we don't have all the club things to do as we used to. Main club house only open on weekends. Will probably get out at the end of the year and pay as I go. They do have $30 deals on Monday and I can play a lesser public course for $20 when I'm in town. Will suit my needs. The only problem is not being able to play with my old golf buddies. But I'm not playing with them as much anyway since I'm out of town a lot. Oh well.......
Old 10-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #33

Quote:
I struggle with this. If I'm on my own, I will rarely spend more than $50 on a round of golf. I find that I have a lot of fun traveling across the country and playing various munis along the way. You meet a lot of interesting people that way.

When it comes to a "golf trip," then I really don't think about the cost of an individual round, I think more about the entire trip and whether the experience is worth the total outlay. For instance, I went to Bandon Dunes the first week of September (high season). It would be next to impossible to do this for less than about $4000 with airfare from the East Coast. I played 9 rounds of golf. So this works out to about $450 per round. I would never drop $450 on the counter for greens fees, but for lodging/air/golf in this location I feel that I got my money's worth. Rack rate for Bandon Dunes resort guests is $265 for the first round and $135 for the second. If you have the time, energy and buddies who will tee off with the rising sun, the third round of the day is free.

I agree with you about Pebble Beach, as much as I would like to play it, the costs are over my threshold of comfort.
+1

I usually play locally twice/week, plus a practice session. Most of the public courses I play here in the SF Bay Area are <$50/ round with a cart (less if you walk, which I normally do). At this price point, even in an area as expesive as the SF Bay Area, there's an abundance of good quality golf courses within a reasonable drive.

When I'm on vacation, my 'math' is different. For a "golf trip", I approach it the same way JJQ does. My golf trips are usually with 4-16 guys, for ~4 days +travel, and include 6+/- rounds. I evaluate those trips by total cost, and compare that total to other vacation travel that I or I/DW would do throughout the year. If it fits into our annual travel/vacation budget, it's all good.

For example, our annual guys golf trip to Kiawah Island, SC is 6 rounds in 4 days +travel, with 8 guys, and is usually ~$2k/person all in. I consider that a decent deal. This Spring, we went to Bandon Dunes instead (a bit of a splurge/bucket list thing for most of us), and the all in cost was ~$3k/person. I'm taking a smaller group (four) to St. George, Utah later this Fall, where 6 rounds in 4 days will cost ~$1k/person +travel; for me, this would be a great deal if the golf is as good as everyone says. (I'll let you know after I return. )

When DW and I go on vacation together to a place that has good golfing opportunities, I will play 2-3 rounds during a 7-10 day period. This usually means resort golf prices ($100-$200+/round) but, I can occassionally find deals (like the discounted greens fee websites in Hawaii). Again, I use 'vacation math*' for this golf, and my guiding principal is whether it fits in to our overall budget for that trip.

* "Vacation Math"=Whatever I spend on golf, DW gets to spend on her vacation pursuits. So, there's a doubling effect.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Was this year's trip to Bandon Dunes? Nice photo of 16. 3/4 of my group jsut got back from Bandon - I played 9 rounds in 5 days and the others played 7 rounds. For me, Bandon is just about golfing heaven.

You asked about goals - I guess mine is to set a new personal best on my handicap index. I briefly touched 4.4 in 2005 and have been sitting between 6 and 10 for the last 20 years or so.

In this, my first full year of retirement, I should post about 150 rounds - all walking. That's seems to be just about the right number - 4 rounds per week when the weather is nice and get a few in every month during the cold months when I can.
Scratched off Bandon Dunes in my bucket list this March. DW and I planned to go every year though. It's only 8 hour drive from where I live.

I am not retired but DW and I play about 120 rounds per year, most of them at my home course with a few golf trips planned throughout the year.

I practice about 5 hours a week, and play on weekends. Like the OP, I plan to increase my golf practice time when I retire.

Life is good when golf game is good.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I am not retired but DW and I play about 120 rounds per year, most of them at my home course with a few golf trips planned throughout the year.

Life is good when golf game is good.
Consider yourself lucky that you share a passion for golf with your DW. Seems it'd make it much easier to fit more golf into your life.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Based on what you posted on another thread about how much you already play/practice, you may also be in for a disappointment. I was playing about 100 rounds per year before retirement but really wasn't practicing much. I was hoping to increase practice time after ER. Total rounds this year may be about 150 - and I think that's a good number for me. I've got to become a more effective practicer, however.
Quote:
+1 that we need to be more efficient, and effective at what we practice. Taking lessons and doing recommended drills seem to work best. But taking lessons will stop once I retire. My retirement budget has no room for golf lessons.
You both probably started with lower handicaps than me but, I've seen a marked improvement in my play since retiring. I'm convinced it's directly related to: (1) practice and, (2) lessons, especially lessons.

DW's birthday present to me this year was a series of lessons which I got to select. I chose GolfTec and have been very pleased. It's a methodical, data based system with lots of video bay practice time for instant feedback. My HI has gone down 2 strokes in less than 2 mos, and I can tell I have lots of improvement left. I'd highly recommend a series of lessons.

I'd link this to the "Golf Talk Tuesdays" thread but, I don't know how to do that.

CAN WE GET SOME MODERATOR HELP?
Old 10-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Consider yourself lucky that you share a passion for golf with your DW. Seems it'd make it much easier to fit more golf into your life.
+1

Two of my golf partners are a husband/wife pair and they don't have any of the issues that I have with DW saying, "I really don't want to do another golf vacation."

Actually, DW is very supportive and walks the course with us on the weekends when the temperature is over 70. But, she has a valid point that golf vacations don't benefit her like they do me.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Do you guys have a limit to how much you'll spend for a round of golf?
Yes, and no.

It a course is in my bucket list, no. One year, I did Pebble Beach courses. Last year, the Bandon Dunes. The PB courses were pricey.

For casual rounds, yes. My LBYM limit for green fee is $100. Since DW plays, multiply that by 2 = $200.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #39

Quote:
I played 9 rounds in 5 days and the others played 7 rounds. For me, Bandon is just about golfing heaven.
9 rounds in 5 days? I can't imagine that. DW and I played 4 rounds in 4 days and that was enough for us. Our caddy told me that most who play two rounds per day barely finishes the 2nd round.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #40

Quote:
9 rounds in 5 days? I can't imagine that. DW and I played 4 rounds in 4 days and that was enough for us. Our caddy told me that most who play two rounds per day barely finishes the 2nd round.
Our group of 8 played 6 rounds in 4 days (1/2/2/1) and had plenty of light left. Even had time for an hour or so drinking beer putting on the "18 hole" Punch Bowl course. That was fun.
Closed Thread