Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hold on... I need to go check my locker... I think he took my shoes.

NOT!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #422
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
... Why don't you have him take a look at your swing?

I'm hitting it great. So I think, sure Jerry, watch and marvel at this beautiful swing. He watches me stripe two 5 irons and says, you do a good job compensating. Huh? Then he shows me how I set up with the club 20 degrees closed. I bet your misses are hooks left, he correctly says. He shows me what square looks like. Before I can digest these comments, we tee off.

I was ruined for the Club C, and went 15 rounds barely ever breaking 80, index going from 2.0 to 5.1. But I think I'm getting it now. The closed club face was something I needed with my old inside out swing. Now I'm more down the line, the truly square club face allows me to actually hit a fade if I need it. Last three rounds have been 75-73-71.

Now I should probably quit until I go back to Montana for the summer, so I don't ruin my handicap for the big money games there. Lol. But I won't.
He was in your head with "you do a good job compensating." Nothing good was going to come after that.

Glad to hear that things are improving, though.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #423
Give me a forum ...

Ouch... Phil finally charged by SEC for insider trading...They think he likes those Dean Foods stock tips..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #424
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Ouch... Phil finally charged by SEC for insider trading...They think he likes those Dean Foods stock tips..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
not good!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #425

The Dan Plan

I just learned about this guy---he's 30ish and quit his job to become a professional golfer.* He'd never played before & has dedicated himself to 10,000 hrs of focused practice to become good enough.

Whether he makes it to the PGA or not, it's an interesting story & worth checking out.

Videos

* Having thought about it a bit, I guess I quit my job to play golf.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #426
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
not good!

Well looks like the media had to back off. Now they are saying he is just giving back his profits and no charges. Phil knows how to play the game!
Old 05-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #427

I always thought Phil was a smart guy but I'm starting to wonder. He makes >$50M/year and he's willing to jeopardize it over a quick profit. Sounds to me like he's lucky to be walking away with only having to pay back the profit he made.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #428

Golf Talk Tuesdays

Played Sharp Park this week for the first time. It's an Alister MacKenzie course. It's sometimes called "the poor man's Pebble Beach." While I did enjoy it quite a bit (it's visually striking with the cypress trees), I'm not sure I'd agree with that description. It's clearly a muni course, with a compact layout & scraggly bits but, the greens were in good shape and it's no pushover. I will definitely play it again.

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #429
Give me a forum ...

I experienced something yesterday I have never witnessed before in my 40+ years of playing golf. I was about to tee off when I hear someone yell fore. So I back off and a couple of seconds later a ball dribbles up my way. The ball barely made it to the tee box but had just enough steam to knock my ball off the tee. My playing partner almost fell out of his cart laughing. I wonder what the odds are of that happening? Probably similar to winning the lottery. I would have preferred the latter.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I experienced something yesterday I have never witnessed before in my 40+ years of playing golf. I was about to tee off when I hear someone yell fore. So I back off and a couple of seconds later a ball dribbles up my way. The ball barely made it to the tee box but had just enough steam to knock my ball off the tee. My playing partner almost fell out of his cart laughing. I wonder what the odds are of that happening? Probably similar to winning the lottery. I would have preferred the latter.
Good thing you backed off...and avoided a penalty for addressing the ball and being deemed to have caused it to move.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:09 AM   #431

Phil Mickelson: How To Hit 2 Basic Pitches and Chips - Golf Digest

Found this from Phil Michelson on how to hit four basic short game shots. I'm still looking for Phil's stock tips.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #432
Recycles dryer sheets

Better than those hi-tops he was wearing
Old 05-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Good thing you backed off...and avoided a penalty for addressing the ball and being deemed to have caused it to move.
When you're on the tee box you're not penalized for causing the ball to move (knocking it off the tee) while addressing it. Not sure what the ruling would be if while addressing your ball on the fairway or green you were hit by another players golf ball and that caused you to accidentally move your golf ball. I think that might fall under a ball moved by outside agency, replace and no penalty. Anyone know?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #434

PGA golf now is amazing.

Used to be fun to watch Tiger close the deal. Now we've got three "tigers", Spieth, McIlroy and #1 Jason Day, that have all won the last tournament they've played in.

Should be a great season.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #435
Dryer sheet wannabe

I know its Wednesday, but had to post about my round this weekend and yesterday....

This weekend I played a charity scramble with my BIL, nephew, and one other person I didn't know. Turn out I was the only golfer in the foursome to EVER play golf before. It was blood curdling. Had to use everyone's drive 3 times. Shot a team 91......IN A SCRAMBLE. Oh my God it was the most painful loop I ever played.

I played with my regular group yesterday. Pull out my bag and ....TADA, no putter. My nephew took it to putt on the last hole and put it in his bag, not mine. So I used my 4 hybrid all day to putt. Shot a net 63 (83 gross). Best round of the year. No 3 putts. I guess it was my reward from the golf gods for having gone through the weekend round.

Crazy game.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #436
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear67 View Post
I know its Wednesday, but had to post about my round this weekend and yesterday....

This weekend I played a charity scramble with my BIL, nephew, and one other person I didn't know. Turn out I was the only golfer in the foursome to EVER play golf before. It was blood curdling. Had to use everyone's drive 3 times. Shot a team 91......IN A SCRAMBLE. Oh my God it was the most painful loop I ever played.

Crazy game.
Lol. I can't imagine playing with 3 guys who had never played before. That would be painful. I played last Friday in a 4 person scramble sponsored by a couple of local churches. Our group shot 62 and placed third. Won a case of Yuengling beer. My kind of church tournament.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Lol. I can't imagine playing with 3 guys who had never played before. That would be painful. I played last Friday in a 4 person scramble sponsored by a couple of local churches. Our group shot 62 and placed third. Won a case of Yuengling beer. My kind of church tournament.
walked/carried on a public course Sunday with my boss, shot 4 over on the front (should have been 0 over but I missed 5 birdie putts) then puked over my eagle attempt on 9 (hey, it was hot) - hopped in a cart on the back shot 9 over

yeah I can't imagine playing with 3 people who's drives you had to use - brutal - shoulda just had them putt their tee shots
Old 06-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #438

Today was my annual day to walk 54 holes of golf. I started this on my 54th birthday just because I could.

I was the first off on the course at 7:30, played alone and shot 82 from the regular men's tees with 4 donations to the water gods. Met my regular group at 10:00 and played the tips - shot 82. One of my buddies and I then did a last loop with our hickory clubs from the senior tees. Shot an 84.

I figure that when I reach the point that I no longer look forward to doing this is the day that I will officially considered myself old.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #439
Give me a forum ...

I had one of my best scores ever on my home course on Tuesday. One of those days where many things seemed to be working.

Missed a couple putts that I should have made and arguably made a few I should have missed. Best one was about 30' from the fringe, a 5' left to right downhill sweeper that hit the pin dead center for a birdie. And the whipped cream was that our competitor missed a 10' birdie putt so we won the hole in our 6/6/6 match!

Playing again tomorrow and I fully expect that I'll probably not be able to do anything right since I had such a good day on Tuesday.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Playing again tomorrow and I fully expect that I'll probably not be able to do anything right since I had such a good day on Tuesday.
That's the kind of positive attitude that generates confidence on the first tee!

Congrats on the great round.