Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are your three best swing thoughts ? Whenever I start getting a little wild I always go back to these three key thoughts; slow back swing, let the club head start back down under its own weight and watch the club face strike the ball.

Helps get me back on track everytime, even though I've never seen the club face strike the ball.

OK, what are your best three ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 06:40 AM   #462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
What are your three best swing thoughts ? Whenever I start getting a little wild I always go back to these three key thoughts; slow back swing, let the club head start back down under its own weight and watch the club face strike the ball.

Helps get me back on track everytime, even though I've never seen the club face strike the ball.

Loose grip, slow back swing and fire off my right side(right knee almost touching my left on through swing). I have a tendency to stay on my right foot resulting in a push or duck hook. If I can do these things I can usually hit a straight shot or one with a slight draw.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #463

I really only have one which is to have equal tempo start to finish. Just relax. If I start hitting the ball better I can start putting more velocity on the follow thru. An easy one is slow straight draw back of the club. It sets everything else up.

Just checked my best trip off my retirement bucket list. Customer bought a trip for two couples to Pebble Beach. Stayed three nights at the lodge and two rounds - Spyglass and Pebble Beach. Played both decently. Greatest thrill was to have birdie putts in the last three holes (which I missed all of them) but mainly 17 and 18. To hit three good shots on 18 without passing out was monumental. My friend and I watched probably 40 groups come in over three days and we did the best so I have bragging rights to take to my grave.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #464
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My three are very similar to yours, with a slow backswing being paramount... I figured out a while ago that if I took a "normal" backswing that at the top of my swing I was actually losing sight of the ball for a moment and slowing my backswing caused me to slightly shorten my swing and not lose sight of the ball. I also try, many times unsuccessfully to let gravity do the work and just guide the club but when I do that and make good contact it is amazing to me how far I hit the ball with little effort.

On the third, I try to focus on keeping my eye on the ball, or perhaps even a specific mark or dimple towards the back of the ball... but I like the idea of trying to see the clubface strike the ball.

In addition to that, I have a visualization that rather than hitting a ball that I am driving a wedge under a door and the ball is the bottom of the door.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Tomorrow's the start of the club championship. I missed qualifying for the championship flight so I'll be playing in first flight. 3 Rounds of match play to win the flight. If I play like I did on Wednesday I'll be beaten by the 10th hole. If I play like I did today I'll have a good shot of winning. Were you guys talking about consistency?
Good luck.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #466
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Good luck.
Thanks. I won my first round match 4 and 3. I played well and the fellow I played putted poorly. Tomorrow's opponent is someone I've never played with or against but I told my wife that it didn't matter, I already had him scouted - he's in his mid-40's, will outdrive me by 30 yards, but has a shaky short game. That describes just about every mid-single digit handicapper at my club.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #467
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

1) take club back straight, low and slow
2) feel right shoulder under chin (I'm LH)
3) start downswing with legs while club drops, don't move head
Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #468
Dryer sheet aficionado

I hit the Augusta lottery three times. This was before it was put online. You had to manually fill in an application and use regular mail to send it in. With everything online now, more and more people are signing up and it is tougher to get selected. Congratulations on your luck. It is like going to see a museum. Very well run. Everyone is so courteous. They make you feel at home. You can take pictures during the practice rounds ... which I prefered rather than the real rounds. Make sure you go to a place called T-Bonz where alot of golfers and caddies hang out. Always packed, but fun evenings.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #469
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Played two different courses this past week; Earl Fry in Alameda, CA & Hiddenbrooke in Vallejo, CA. Both were enjoyable rounds but, the inconsistency btwn the two is very frustrating. The first round, I hit 10 fairways, had 31 putts, one 3-putt, and no pentaly strokes. The second round, the very next day, I hit 5 fairways, had five 3-putts, and lost three balls.

I don't think I'm going to invite that second guy again.
Hiddenbrooke is a more challenging course and that could explain some stat differences.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 PM   #470

Quote:

Shorten swing, full turn, keep right heel down.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #471
Give me a forum ...

Got a lesson with the golf whisperer tomorrow. Need to start striping it again before the member/guest next week. Huge Calcutta.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #472

I'm going on the Member Guest circuit, too. May have three in the next 5 weeks.

The Calcutta gets huge here, too, although it will be interesting to see if the drop in oil has dampened the enthusiasm of some bidders.

One of them brings in an auctioneer who won the Auctioneer of the Year a few years ago (I guess there's a competition?). It's great entertainment listening to him, and it moves along fast.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #473
Give me a forum ...

our usually gets to 60K or so - 60 teams

3 years ago we had a controversy with the auctioneer - I don't think he's done it since
Old 07-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #474

On our 60 year old course, I just had the pleasure of playing in the group witnessing a new course record 62, shot by a recent graduate of the current NCAA men's champion Oregon Ducks golf team. It could've been better, as he three putted (for par) from 30 feet and missed a three foot eagle. While you could say he made it look easy, hitting 17 greens, his ball flight was breathtaking to watch.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #475
Give me a forum ...

That's awesome. You witnessed a rare event.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
On our 60 year old course, I just had the pleasure of playing in the group witnessing a new course record 62, shot by a recent graduate of the current NCAA men's champion Oregon Ducks golf team. It could've been better, as he three putted (for par) from 30 feet and missed a three foot eagle. While you could say he made it look easy, hitting 17 greens, his ball flight was breathtaking to watch.
Go Ducks!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #477
Give me a forum ...

Our member/guest was today and tomorrow. I didn't sign up... I'm not that into tournaments and we had family in from out-of-town. It was a miserable cold and rainy day today and is forecasted to be the same tomorrow. I'm glad that I'm not out there.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #478
Give me a forum ...

Plus I'm sure you saved a few hundred bucks
Old 07-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Our member/guest was today and tomorrow. I didn't sign up... I'm not that into tournaments and we had family in from out-of-town.
I still occasional play in tournaments but have become a little frustrated with them at my club. I'm not good enough to compete with with the scratch golfers for gross score and too many sandbaggers that shoot 8-10 under for net score.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #480
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Plus I'm sure you saved a few hundred bucks
Only $50, believe it or not.. plus $75 for the guest so $125/team... for three rounds (including greens fees for the guest), prizes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I still occasional play in tournaments but have become a little frustrated with them at my club. I'm not good enough to compete with with the scratch golfers for gross score and too many sandbaggers that shoot 8-10 under for net score.
+1 too many sandbaggers out there so it is a waste to me... though I am in a spot where I have been playing well recently and much better than my index would suggest so perhaps I should have signed up but it is raining today too so I'm glad that i didn't.

Closed Thread