Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #501
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
won a tournament match 2 and 1 yesterday

shot a 90 with 8 penalty strokes

good 90!

Your 90 made me think of our 4 man sr. scramble today. One of my players was 92... Couldnt believe it...And a darn good player...Drove himself 50 miles to play and told me he bowls twice a week too.. How people at 92 can say they play 18 twice a week and bowl twice a week?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #502
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Your 90 made me think of our 4 man sr. scramble today. One of my players was 92... Couldnt believe it...And a darn good player...Drove himself 50 miles to play and told me he bowls twice a week too.. How people at 92 can say they play 18 twice a week and bowl twice a week?

not many - good for him!

we had a 90 year old guest that had to WD from the member/guest. He fell Wednesday night and broke something. Poor guy.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #503
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
not many - good for him!

we had a 90 year old guest that had to WD from the member/guest. He fell Wednesday night and broke something. Poor guy.

What is funny Big, is even though I am a senior, I am 20-40 plus years younger than most of the players...I usually hunt down their stray shots to save them energy. This 92 year old said, not to worry he can get his own ball, ha! Great guys, but my voice is usually tired as most dont hear well or dont wear their hearing aides golfing so I am yelling the whole time trying to converse with my partners.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #504
Give me a forum ...

I was playing with three 90 year olds the other day and I've been working on keeping my head down so I asked them if they could watch my ball.

The first guy said he couldn't see that well. The second guy couldn't hear very well so he didn't understand my question. The third guy said sure.

So I crush one and ask the third guy where it went. He forgot.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #505
Dryer sheet aficionado

When to require senior tees ? I have heard age plus hdcp greater than 90 or greater than 95 ... What are all of your thoughts
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #506
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0401 View Post
When to require senior tees ? I have heard age plus hdcp greater than 90 or greater than 95 ... What are all of your thoughts
I think it should be based on pure handicap.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #507
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0401 View Post

I play twice a week at 2 different places and both are different and neither are handicap related. Generally if over 80 they get to hit from Reds no matter how good they are. 72 generally gets you on the reds...One place if they are deemed an A player they have to move back... Nobody has egos here. You want to see a 75 year old mad? Deem him an A player and tell him no red tee box for you...Oh, they get mad!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #508
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was playing with three 90 year olds the other day and I've been working on keeping my head down so I asked them if they could watch my ball.

The first guy said he couldn't see that well. The second guy couldn't hear very well so he didn't understand my question. The third guy said sure.

So I crush one and ask the third guy where it went. He forgot.

Now that is funny!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #509
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most common words uttered by the Senior guys I occasionally play with...."huh" and "did anyone see that"!
Old 07-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #510

I like the idea of using driving distance as a guide for deciding what tees to play; per this earlier post by pb4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What tees are you playing? The group I play with (mostly mid handicappers in our 60s and 70s) shifted to the forward/senior tees this summer and are enjoying the game much more, particularly on our home course. On many holes the difference is slight (perhaps 10 yards) but on the long holes the difference is more substantial and it makes our home course much more friendly. Interestingly the rating and slope are not very different (68.9/130 vs 66.4/124).

According to the PGA Tee-It-forward chart, if you hit drives 220-230 yards off the tee you should be playing the tees that equate to 5,800 to 6,000 yards.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #511
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I play twice a week at 2 different places and both are different and neither are handicap related. Generally if over 80 they get to hit from Reds no matter how good they are. 72 generally gets you on the reds...One place if they are deemed an A player they have to move back... Nobody has egos here. You want to see a 75 year old mad? Deem him an A player and tell him no red tee box for you...Oh, they get mad!

last time I was on the red tees a voice over the loud speaker said "BH, will you please move back to the mens' tees"

I yelled back at them "hey, will you let me hit my second shot!"
Old 07-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #512
Recycles dryer sheets

You are on a roll. Funny! Good job in your tournament. My last 'golf' was in a scramble on the 14th while the nerve in my tooth died. Talk about a miserable day. Anyway we had a 70, not good, not bad, the winning team, 56. What the . . . Maybe a little bit stacked.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #513
Give me a forum ...

it's just summer match play - I was doing yard work yesterday and my opponent sent me a txt "hey wanna do our match at 1210?"

that was an easy call lol
Old 07-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
slow back swing, let the club head start back down under its own weight and watch the club face strike the ball.

OK, what are your best three ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My three are very similar to yours, with a slow backswing being paramount... let gravity do the work and just guide the club I try to focus on keeping my eye on the ball, or perhaps even a specific mark or dimple towards the back of the ball... but I like the idea of trying to see the clubface strike the ball.

In addition to that, I have a visualization that rather than hitting a ball that I am driving a wedge under a door and the ball is the bottom of the door.
Quote:
1) take club back straight, low and slow
2) feel right shoulder under chin (I'm LH)
3) start downswing with legs while club drops, don't move head
thanks for these folks.... I'm a new golfer and need all the tips I can get...
Old 07-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #515
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I like the idea of using driving distance as a guide for deciding what tees to play; per this earlier post by pb4.
If it is good enough for one of the greatest golfers of all time, then it is good enough for me.

Quote:
TEE IT FORWARD is a joint initiative between the USGA and The PGA of America that encourages players to play from a set of tees best suited to their driving distance. In addition to providing more enjoyment for golfers, teeing it forward also can be one of the most important steps that golfers take in improving pace of play.

A recent survey of TEE IT FORWARD participants found that:

56 percent played faster
56 percent are likely to play golf more often
83 percent hit more-lofted clubs into greens
85 percent had more fun
93 percent will TEE IT FORWARD again
"We hope that you give it a try. You'll have more fun and your rounds will take less time to play."
I play both the whites and greens (senior tees) at our home course depending on who I am playing with and which tees they prefer. At our club the blues, whites and green tees are 6,400, 5,900 and 5,300, respectively. I normally hit my drives ~225-250 yds so the whites are good but if the guys I'm playing with prefer the greens then I just drop down a club on the tee since on some of holes if I use my driver from the green tees I might go through the fairway.

I do get a chuckle out of the machos at our club whose self-perceived ability is far greater than their actual abilities and insist playing from the back tees when there game isn't really up to it. They are all over the place and hold up play.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I pulled out my old Ping Eye 2 irons and played them just for the heck of it this morning. I forgot how well they hit. When Ping came out with these back in the 80's, they were certainly ahead of the rest.
They sure were, I remember going to the NCAA Div 1 golf championships back in the late 80's and at least 80% of the players were playing with Ping Eye 2's. I still have a full set of the Beryllium Copper Eye 2's in my closet. There's a scratch golfer at our club that still uses them, had to replace the wedges though since there were no grooves left.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:07 PM   #517
Give me a forum ...

I like playing different tees just to change it up. Or teeing off with a shorter club to give myself a different club to play in the fairway. A little added variety can keep the same old course from becoming monotonous.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #518
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I like playing different tees just to change it up. Or teeing off with a shorter club to give myself a different club to play in the fairway. A little added variety can keep the same old course from becoming monotonous.
+1

In addition, I like to play a set of tees where I "have to play well" to break 80. I'm a short hitter, from the play it forward chart quoted earlier I should be up on our white tees (6000 yards). But, if I were up there then I would have to "play poorly" NOT to break 80. So I play most of my rounds from the tips (only 6600 at our course), some from the blues (6400) and some from the whites, so that, as Dawg says, I see a little variety.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #519
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
last time I was on the red tees a voice over the loud speaker said "BH, will you please move back to the mens' tees"

You know that is the shot in my experience the super seniors really struggle with the most of all.....I can still smack it pretty far off the white box (when it stays in play, ha). But when they get 100-125 yd advantage with the reds, we are mostly using their shots as many 85 years can still get off tee box fairly well....Where they really struggle is the 140 yd to 190 yd second shots the green. That is where the pressure is on me to hit the shot. Where I can come in with a 7 iron at 165, they are trying to hit and roll up shots on the green with 3 and 5 woods and sometimes that is just almost impossible with sloop of green or protected greens. And also their "hand eye coordination" hitting off the deck just isnt as good as hitting off a tee.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #520
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Perhaps that fact that your ball was on a tee confused them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Closed Thread