Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #541
Full time employment: Posting here.

After 54+ years of golfing, finally got my first hole in one, a 180 yard slightly uphill 5 iron to a tucked right pin.

Three weeks earlier, same hole, same pin placement, same shot, I had a " hanger", part of the ball over the hole. A week before, we had our Member-Guest. I would've won a Corvette.

Instead, it wasn't even "my" round, as I was being a "host" member for a friend's 40th high school reunion scramble.

Didn't have insurance, as I'm only here for two months, but the bar bill only came to about $100.

Still looking forward to my first in a "real" round.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #542
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
After 54+ years of golfing, finally got my first hole in one, a 180 yard slightly uphill 5 iron to a tucked right pin.

Three weeks earlier, same hole, same pin placement, same shot, I had a " hanger", part of the ball over the hole. A week before, we had our Member-Guest. I would've won a Corvette.

Instead, it wasn't even "my" round, as I was being a "host" member for a friend's 40th high school reunion scramble.

Didn't have insurance, as I'm only here for two months, but the bar bill only came to about $100.

Congrats! 6 inches is closest I've come. Still waiting patiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #543
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

good job!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #544
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard1997 View Post
Congrats! 6 inches is closest I've come. Still waiting patiently. ...
+1 and I would gladly pay the bar bill for the thrill of getting a hole-in-one!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #545
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Congrats on the hio! I shot a 79 today (last time I broke 80 was 12 yrs. ago).
Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #546
Give me a forum ...

Well congrats to GS and Golfnut are in order!!! Me...I was relegated "to the range" in an attempt to find my game...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #547

Quote:

CONGRATS!

I'm still waiting for my first HIO.

BTW, if the 'inexpensive' bar bill of only $100 is still bothering you, you can buy me drinks when I'm in Maui in November.

Really, anything to help you out.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #548
Recycles dryer sheets

I was "early morning golfing" by myself today and HIT THE PIN on a par 3! Of course no one would have been around to attest to a hole-in-one anyway, but I would still have been braggin'!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #549
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
what's golf without a little zz top?

Driving while blind?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #550
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally Nike is exiting the golf equipment game. Hopefully rory heads back to titleist but chances are taylor made will gobble him up. They have all the money at the moment.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #551
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Finally Nike is exiting the golf equipment game. Hopefully rory heads back to titleist but chances are taylor made will gobble him up. They have all the money at the moment.

Adidas is looking to sell TM
Old 08-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I believe Tiger also played Titleist clubs before moving to Nike. I get the impression that Titleist isn't able or not willing to pay the pros what some of the other manufacturers offer. I've seen quite a few big name players leave Titleist over the years but can't recall any switching to Titleist. Seems like PXG is the new kid on the block and has a lot of money to throw around.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #553
Recycles dryer sheets

The CA drought is killing some golf courses. Roddy Ranch, which was one of my regulars, is closing this week. Water costs have increased by over 500%. Sunol closed earlier this year and Stevenson Ranch and Diablo Grande Legends closed last year.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
The CA drought is killing some golf courses. Roddy Ranch, which was one of my regulars, is closing this week. Water costs have increased by over 500%. Sunol closed earlier this year and Stevenson Ranch and Diablo Grande Legends closed last year.
JKern-

It's a bit of a drive for you but, the courses in Marin & Sonoma counties are not suffering from the drought; in fact, some of them are lush. Indian Valley, Peacock Gap, Rooster Run & Foxtail North are all getting plenty of water & in very good shape.

Closer to you, I've played Boundary Oaks, Tilden Park & Diablo Creek recently, and they seem to be getting plenty of water.

PM me if you want to know more. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #555
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post

Some years ago, a Green Channel appeared on my cable.. Thought it might be interesting, but it was mostly foofy bs.

But I digress...

One program featured some celebrities describing the "green" things they did. Alice Cooper, yes THAT Alice Cooper, apparently lives in the Phoenix area, and plays golf frequently, so his "green" thing was to find/recycle lost golf balls. Never mind that a golf course in the desert is not so "green"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #556
Give me a forum ...

We hear of so many courses closing but here's a new one 100 miles north of me about to open. The Bryan family(hot dog folks) built one in the late 90's(Old Waverly) near West Point, MS designed by Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio. Now they are building another one across the street designed by Gil Hanse the guy who did the new Olympic course. Hard to believe something like this is located in little old MS. I've played Old Waverly a couple of times and it truly is a championship course. They held the women's U.S. Open their in 1999. Not sure I will ever play the new one as the advertised rates are $150. I'm a little too cheap for that.

Mossy Oak Golf Club - West Point, Mississippi
Old 08-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One program featured some celebrities describing the "green" things they did. Alice Cooper, yes THAT Alice Cooper, apparently lives in the Phoenix area, and plays golf frequently, so his "green" thing was to find/recycle lost golf balls. Never mind that a golf course in the desert is not so "green"...
Hmmmm. Apparently, MY green thing must be losing golf balls for Alice & others to find/recycle. I feel so much better now.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
We hear of so many courses closing but here's a new one 100 miles north of me about to open. The Bryan family(hot dog folks) built one in the late 90's(Old Waverly) near West Point, MS designed by Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio. Now they are building another one across the street designed by Gil Hanse the guy who did the new Olympic course. Hard to believe something like this is located in little old MS. I've played Old Waverly a couple of times and it truly is a championship course. They held the women's U.S. Open their in 1999. Not sure I will ever play the new one as the advertised rates are $150. I'm a little too cheap for that.

Mossy Oak Golf Club - West Point, Mississippi
Watched the video. Haven't heard that accent since we moved from eastern Tennessee to Cali; nice to hear it again.

Sounds like it will be a beautiful course. Maybe they'll offer some promo rates when they open.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #559
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Watched the video. Haven't heard that accent since we moved from eastern Tennessee to Cali; nice to hear it again.

Sounds like it will be a beautiful course. Maybe they'll offer some promo rates when they open.
I might get lucky down the road. The 2 times I played the other one was a corporate freebie deal. Got a couple of buddies who still work that get the invites and I sometimes get thrown a bone if they need an extra player. I'm not opposed to a hand out.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Not sure if I would consider recycling golf balls "green" but it is turning into a profitable business for some. Was playing at my club not too long ago and watched someone in scuba gear walk out of the lake on the hole I was playing. He had two large duffle bags full of golf balls off to the side and was going back in for more. I know more than a couple of them were mine.