Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #621
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still playing here in Scottsdale. Lots of courses closed for over seeding but many others still have their Bermuda or are already seeded. Our course has been closed all summer as we replaced our greens. They won't let us back on till December 1. They are looking good though!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
we have water and/or OB on every shot, all 18 holes

I think the difficulty definitely impacts the index, whether or not it should

when I was a member at Hearthstone in Houston I was down to a 10 or 11 - I'd lose my a$$ at crane creek if I carried that index
I'm not familiar with your courses but you need to adjust your handicap based on the course you're playing and the slope rating of the tees you're playing. Maybe a 20 handicap at Hearthstone would play to a 24 at Crane Creek if their is a big difference in the slope rating.

Course handicap= Handicap Index X Slope Rating/113
Old 10-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #623
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I'm not familiar with your courses but you need to adjust your handicap based on the course you're playing and the slope rating of the tees you're playing. Maybe a 20 handicap at Hearthstone would play to a 24 at Crane Creek if their is a big difference in the slope rating.

I enter all my stuff through GHIN - course handicaps vary based on index

I'm just saying that CC is a really difficult course - when I joined 5 years ago I never thought I'd break 90 on it
Old 10-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #624
Give me a forum ...

Played at an old friend's club today... beautiful course and very fast greens.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #625
Recycles dryer sheets

First time to post to this thread. Played twice in the last 10 days. First time out in four years. Wow, weekdays are great. Start at 0800 and home by 1215. Nice! Got excited and bought a used set of Taylormade R7 irons, draw weighed and gave away my McGregor Heritage irons I bought in '87. Lost the 6 iron at Texas City municipal in the late 80s. Score typical for me, around 100. Had two birdies and two pars yesterday. Two birdies in the span of three holes was exciting! DW is already seeing the golf spectre arise again. Got to keep it in check. One round and one range session per week.

The phone apps for distance are amazing. First time out with that.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #626
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post
First time to post to this thread. Played twice in the last 10 days. First time out in four years. Wow, weekdays are great. Start at 0800 and home by 1215. Nice! Got excited and bought a used set of Taylormade R7 irons, draw weighed and gave away my McGregor Heritage irons I bought in '87. Lost the 6 iron at Texas City municipal in the late 80s. Score typical for me, around 100. Had two birdies and two pars yesterday. Two birdies in the span of three holes was exciting! DW is already seeing the golf spectre arise again. Got to keep it in check. One round and one range session per week.

what course to you normally play?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #627

Quote:
anyone still playing? I shot an 84 with a few bad holes sunday at a local muni - I played match with my boss and he's decided to quit golf, no joke

played 7 hoes last night and hit 5 greens - two 3 jacks

got my cart out of the shop and it's running great, $1400 parts and labor later it should be - no more gear whine, I think I'll keep this cart until it dies again
Year round down here. But, I've been traveling for a couple weeks (actually, I was getting chased around by Matthew) and haven't played a round since 9/28.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post

Welcome TtP. Hope you get back into 'the beautiful game' and share it with us here.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:36 AM   #629
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
what course to you normally play?

Oakhurst in Porter/Kingwood, TX
Old 10-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #630
Give me a forum ...

I played a couple of days ago on the AL coast with a couple of buddies. Shot an 80 after being +4 thru 3 holes. Could have broken 80, but missed a couple of 3 footers coming home. Oh well. Considering I haven't played much this summer due to renovations on my home course, pretty pleased with the way I hit the ball.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #631
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post

Yea, it shouldn't make a difference as you say. I tend to find slope ratings can be pretty goofy sometimes. I wonder what the parameters are. I know a course around here that's as flat as can be, no water, no real OB,etc and it has a higher slope than a course with water in play, lots of huge sandtraps,etc. I could easily manipulate my hdcp by playing the higher slope/easier course if I wanted a vanity cap. If I wanted to sandbag I could plaay the lower slope/easier course.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #632

Quote:
we have water and/or OB on every shot, all 18 holes

I think the difficulty definitely impacts the index, whether or not it should

when I was a member at Hearthstone in Houston I was down to a 10 or 11 - I'd lose my a$$ at crane creek if I carried that index
As I posted above, sometimes the slope ratings are just off. Ever hear the saying "His handicap doesn't travel well"? That's often because a guy plays the majority of his rounds on a course that is easier than it's rated so his hdcp is low, but when he goes to a course with a truer rating, no way can he play to his hdcp.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #633
Give me a forum ...

my index travels great. I almost always break par net when I play away.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Yea, it shouldn't make a difference as you say. I tend to find slope ratings can be pretty goofy sometimes. I wonder what the parameters are. I know a course around here that's as flat as can be, no water, no real OB,etc and it has a higher slope than a course with water in play, lots of huge sandtraps,etc. I could easily manipulate my hdcp by playing the higher slope/easier course if I wanted a vanity cap. Ihttp://www.usga.org/handicapping-articles/course-rating-primer-e5bf725f.htmlf I wanted to sandbag I could plaay the lower slope/easier course.
I play with a guy who rates courses for the NCGA. He described the process, and it sounds very objective and data-based to me. They use trained teams (instead of individuals) to rate courses; then, the NCGA checks their work and makes adjustments as necessary. Given that 'people' do it, there is by definition some subjectivity. And, I know what you mean by comparing courses of different difficulty; it does offen seem that higher slope courses are much harder than their slope rating indicates when compared to an easier course; it's as if the effect on score is exponential versus linear when playing a course rated >130. Below is the USGA course evaluation process, which is what my buddy described using for the NCGA.

Course Rating™ Primer
Old 10-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Ever hear the saying "His handicap doesn't travel well"? That's often because a guy plays the majority of his rounds on a course that is easier than it's rated so his hdcp is low, but when he goes to a course with a truer rating, no way can he play to his hdcp.
That does happen but I think the main reason a handicap doesn't travel well is that many golfers play primarily at their home course all the time. Obviously the more you play at the same course you get comfortable with it, learn the greens, when/where to layup, it just gets easier over time. If you watch the Master's you may have noticed when there's an odd number of players on the weekend they add a non-competing marker to the field who's an Augusta member. He knows the greens at Augusta so well he can hold his own with the pros, sometimes even beating them. But if you were to put him on another tour course against a pro he would have no chance.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #636
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
....Considering I haven't played much this summer due to renovations on my home course, pretty pleased with the way I hit the ball.
I always seem to play well the first couple rounds after not playing for a while.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #637
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55;1791047 it's as if the effect on score is exponential versus linear when playing a course rated >130. Below is the USGA course evaluation process, which is what my buddy described using for the NCGA.

[url=http://www.usga.org/handicapping-articles/course-rating-primer-e5bf725f.html
Course Rating™ Primer[/url]
slope from the blues at cc is 137. over 140 from the blacks
Old 10-17-2016, 03:58 AM   #638

Quote:
slope from the blues at cc is 137. over 140 from the blacks
That's a tough course.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #639
Give me a forum ...

played quail hollow yesterday from the tips - 129 slope. We thought it was more difficult than our home course.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #640
Recycles dryer sheets

I definitely think Quail Hollow is tougher then CCCC. But then again, I play CCCC 3-4 times a week and Quail maybe 3-4 times a year.
Closed Thread