Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #681
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Doubt you'll notice a big difference just by changing the ball, Titleist claims there is only about a 5 yard difference between the distance of their shortest and longest ball for any swing speed. During a recent PGA event telecast they talked about a PGA pro who claimed he increased his driver distance by 20 yards just by getting his driver 'tuned' properly using the 'TrackMan launch monitor', and that was without any increase in swing speed. Apparently he needed a much higher launch angle to maximize his driver distance.
You'll only get 20 yards from a driver or ball if what you're currently using is terribly misfitted. If you're a slower swing speed player using a low spin head with too little loft and switch to a higher spin head with more loft you can pick up 20 yards. But if you'r e comparing various manufacturers heads in the same loft and spin categories there just isn't 10 yards between them. It's been tested many times. You might pick up 3-4 yards.
Same with shafts, if you're totally misfit and you get into the correct specs big gains can be found. But if you're in a reasonable fit now there's not a lot more to be had no matter what the ad machines churn out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Interested in hearing suggestions for balls that you think will give me a bit of extra distance without feeling like I'm hitting rock, and still provide some control around the green. My swing speed is 90-95.

Here are some I've tried:

Bridgestone B330Rx
Bridgestone Fix
Title isn't ProV1x
Wilson Duo
Callaway Chrome Soft
Srixon ZStar
Taylor Made Project (a)
Precept Laddie (currently trying)

Can't say I've really noticed any distance improvement from any of them.
You probably don't want to hit the high end balls like the Pro V1. They tend to be shorter for slower swingers like you (and me). Not much, but some.
If you do want to play high end you'd probably do better with the Pro V 1x.
Currently the golf world is agog about the Costco Kirkland Signature balls. They're 3 piece urethane balls and were tested to be 10 yards longer off the driver than the Pro V. And best of all they are $15 a dozen! Worth a try if you have a Costco membership.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #683
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have played for 55 years, am the son of a professional and a former Ping employee myself, and know a little bit about golf. I have done so many real-world ball comparisons on courses I know well that it's ridiculous. My driver swing speed is a modest 95-98, and I always come back to the Pro VI. (I just wish they made them in yellow.) There have been times when particular balls seemed noticeably longer, but real-world testing proved they weren't. Balls definitely feel different and have different spin characteristics, but at least at my swing speed there is simply no ball out there that is significantly longer. When I compare, side by side, balls as different as the Pro VI and the Wilson Duo (which I like), the distance difference is negligible (and the Pro VI is invariably the longer one when there is a difference of a few yards). I'm not sure about the suggestion above that the Pro VIx might be a better choice - it's intended for 105 mph and up swing speeds, feels like a rock at my swing speed, and certainly isn't going to do anything a Pro VI won't.

It reminds me of when I first tested a 47" big-headed (probably 360 cc at the time) driver at the range. I would've sworn on my grandmother's grave the ball was going 40 yards farther. It certainly looked and sounded like it. Took it out on the course and discovered I was just about exactly where I always was.

I also remember hitting 5-irons on a big open field. There was always one ball about 20 yards farther than the rest. I finally realized what was going on and started saying to my wife, "Dear, go pick up the Spalding Rebel." She wondered if I was psychic or something. Was the Spalding Rebel the longest ball ever made? No, the quality control at that price range was so bad I'd simply got a super-hot one. I've had the same thing happen with Pinnacles.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #684
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My golf ball of choice is whatever I find on the course when walking my dog every morning. I don't keep just any found ball as I throw the older ones and no name brands on the driving range. But I have a variety of good condition name brand balls. I can't tell much difference any of them, but admit I reach for the Pro VI balls more often than not.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I have played for 55 years, am the son of a professional and a former Ping employee myself, and know a little bit about golf. I have done so many real-world ball comparisons on courses I know well that it's ridiculous. My driver swing speed is a modest 95-98, and I always come back to the Pro VI. (I just wish they made them in yellow.) There have been times when particular balls seemed noticeably longer, but real-world testing proved they weren't. Balls definitely feel different and have different spin characteristics, but at least at my swing speed there is simply no ball out there that is significantly longer. When I compare, side by side, balls as different as the Pro VI and the Wilson Duo (which I like), the distance difference is negligible (and the Pro VI is invariably the longer one when there is a difference of a few yards). I'm not sure about the suggestion above that the Pro VIx might be a better choice - it's intended for 105 mph and up swing speeds, feels like a rock at my swing speed, and certainly isn't going to do anything a Pro VI won't.

It reminds me of when I first tested a 47" big-headed (probably 360 cc at the time) driver at the range. I would've sworn on my grandmother's grave the ball was going 40 yards farther. It certainly looked and sounded like it. Took it out on the course and discovered I was just about exactly where I always was.

I also remember hitting 5-irons on a big open field. There was always one ball about 20 yards farther than the rest. I finally realized what was going on and started saying to my wife, "Dear, go pick up the Spalding Rebel." She wondered if I was psychic or something. Was the Spalding Rebel the longest ball ever made? No, the quality control at that price range was so bad I'd simply got a super-hot one. I've had the same thing happen with Pinnacles.
Interesting. I wonder if my wife would shag balls for me. I'll ask her after I put my running shoes on.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #686
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Wow! She's a keeper!!!
Old 12-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #687

Quote:

Not sure where you got the idea the Pro V1x is for 105mph and above. Titleist certainly doesn't say that.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #688
Recycles dryer sheets

From a Google search:
Titleist engineered the ProV1X to combat excessive spin and higher swing speeds. The Pro V1X has fewer dimples, which means it's engineered for someone with a swing speed above 105 mph who imparts more spin and has a higher ball trajectory because of his or her swing path and the energy released during impact.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #689
Give me a forum ...

anyone ever play a vice golf ball?
Old 12-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #690

No but I've experienced vice on more than a few golf trips and outings.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #691

I bought Pro V's for years. Then I moved to a golf course. There is a small lake surrounding the green by our house. I bought a twenty five foot ball retriever. Monday mornings when the course is closed I go out and pull out about two dozen balls! Paid for the ball retriever the first day! Fortunately most of my fellow club members use nice balls. I stick primarily with Pro V's and Bridgestones! The rest go in a bucket that we whack off the back yard into the lake during happy hour!

Probably never have to buy another golf ball!
Old 12-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #692

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
I bought Pro V's for years. Then I moved to a golf course. There is a small lake surrounding the green by our house. I bought a twenty five foot ball retriever. Monday mornings when the course is closed I go out and pull out about two dozen balls! Paid for the ball retriever the first day! Fortunately most of my fellow club members use nice balls. I stick primarily with Pro V's and Bridgestones! The rest go in a bucket that we whack off the back yard into the lake during happy hour!

Probably never have to buy another golf ball!
Have you noticed an performance degradation, as described in this article?

Disadvantages of used golf balls, lake balls - VICE U S A
Old 12-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
anyone ever play a vice golf ball?
Checked out their website. Have you played them? If so, which model? Did you notice any performance advantages?
Old 12-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #694

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Not sure where you got the idea the Pro V1x is for 105mph and above. Titleist certainly doesn't say that.
I would agree. First off PGA pros may swing +105mph with their driver but few swing that hard with their lofted irons. There are plenty of times when they do 3/4 shots so they need a ball that will perform for them at all swing speeds. For most pros selecting a ball based on how the ball performs and feels around the green on wedges, chips, and putts is a bigger factor than pure distance.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #695

Quote:
Have you noticed an performance degradation, as described in this article?

Disadvantages of used golf balls, lake balls - VICE U S A
One of the reasons I go on Monday. They have likely been in there only a few days. If I hit them and they seem dead into the bucket they go.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #696
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Interesting. I wonder if my wife would shag balls for me. I'll ask her after I put my running shoes on.
And lock the weapons up..

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #697

Haven't posted here for a while...mostly because of this.

California and Nevada Pummeled By Flooding Rain, Mudslides and Rockslides as Atmospheric River Event Sets Up

https://weather.com/forecast/regiona...recast-jan2017

Even on the sunny days, lots of mud on the course (and ball), and a not so pleasant slog around the courses.

Hoping for better weather week after next.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #698

Quote:
Haven't posted here for a while...mostly because of this.

California and Nevada Pummeled By Flooding Rain, Mudslides and Rockslides as Atmospheric River Event Sets Up

https://weather.com/forecast/regiona...recast-jan2017

Even on the sunny days, lots of mud on the course (and ball), and a not so pleasant slog around the courses.

Hoping for better weather week after next.
I'm not saying the weather is 'too bad for golf.' But, you just have to be prepared...like our greens keeper. As soon as he's out of the way, I'm playing through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.JPG (53.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #699
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had record snowfall in Boise. And more to come though I believe that the temperatures will warm and so will see a rain and snow mix for the next few days.

On a side note this break has given my left elbow tendonitis (lateral epicondyle) time to heal. I know that I am impatient, but even with ice, anti-inflammatories, massage, etc I cannot seem to knock it out. Any suggestions from the golfing community? Also not sure what the hell I did to cause it in the first place. Probably being too wristy is my guess.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #700

Quote:
I'm not saying the weather is 'too bad for golf.' But, you just have to be prepared...like our greens keeper. As soon as he's out of the way, I'm playing through.
I've been playing very little golf since the beginning of December. If it's not raining, it's COLD. At least we are getting water
Closed Thread