Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I started playing golf right before I turned 50. I married my wife a couple of years later in 2012. We both still w*rk. Sorry for the foul language. Golf has been a great past time that we both enjoy together and typically play one nine hole during the week and twice on the weekends.
DW and I play 2 - 3 rounds per week. Both of us have started golf at the same time at age 48 and have been enjoying the journey ever since. I still work and she doesn't. I can't wait until I retire and work on my game more.
__________________

__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I can't wait until I retire and work on my game more.
Agreed - I try and play/practice 3-4 days a week. Only been playing for about 15 years and I quit for a few of those and picked it back up again 4 years ago. My wife just chips and putts.
__________________

__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What tees are you playing? The group I play with (mostly mid handicappers in our 60s and 70s) shifted to the forward/senior tees this summer and are enjoying the game much more, particularly on our home course. On many holes the difference is slight (perhaps 10 yards) but on the long holes the difference is more substantial and it makes our home course much more friendly. Interestingly the rating and slope are not very different (68.9/130 vs 66.4/124).

According to the PGA Tee-It-forward chart, if you hit drives 220-230 yards off the tee you should be playing the tees that equate to 5,800 to 6,000 yards.

Great chart!

I normally play White tees (typically ~6,300 yds) and hit 8-10 greens/round (normally ~half of the par-4 greens). Today's round was typical: White tees, 6,372 yds, 71.0/126; I hit 11 FIRs, 8 GIRs, and shot 80.

So, even though the chart would have me on the Gold (Senior) tees (5,699yds @ today's course), I think I'm better suited to the White tees, at least for now. Plus, that's where most of my playing partners play.
__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 3,300
skanked around for a 41 last night with a triple - 4 pars and a bird, 3 bogeys
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Agreed - I try and play/practice 3-4 days a week. Only been playing for about 15 years and I quit for a few of those and picked it back up again 4 years ago. My wife just chips and putts.

Just a word to the wise. When I was working I tried to get out at least twice a week and would shoot in the low 80s. I would hit the range a few times a week and practice my short game in the backyard. I love the game and thought once I retired I would hit the course and really improve.

I belonged to a nice Fazio designed course and during my first year of retirement pretty much played five days a week, many days would play 36 or more. It got to the point that I wasn't improving as much as I thought I should and it became a grind, almost like going to work. After that first year of hitting it hard I dropped back to a few times a week and actually enjoyed myself more. Being 64 now and not having the length that I use to have it can be frustrating at times. All in all golf, like many other things in life is best enjoyed in moderation, well at least it is for me. Still love the game both playing and watching but realize I'll never be a scratch golfer and I'm good with that.

Oh and on wayward drives anymore I don't yell fore, because of my length I can yell two !
__________________
Normal is an illusion...what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Just a word to the wise. When I was working I tried to get out at least twice a week and would shoot in the low 80s. I would hit the range a few times a week and practice my short game in the backyard. I love the game and thought once I retired I would hit the course and really improve.

I belonged to a nice Fazio designed course and during my first year of retirement pretty much played five days a week, many days would play 36 or more. It got to the point that I wasn't improving as much as I thought I should and it became a grind, almost like going to work. After that first year of hitting it hard I dropped back to a few times a week and actually enjoyed myself more. Being 64 now and not having the length that use to have it can be frustrating at times. All in all golf, like many other things in life is best enjoyed in moderation, well at least it is for me. Still love the game both playing and watching but realize I'll never be a scratch golfer and I'm good with that.

Oh and on wayward drives anymore I don't yell fore, because of my length I can yell two !
I understand what you are saying. I don't think I can play more than 3 - 4 times a week even when I retire. I don't want playing golf to become like a job ("grind"). Mixing practice and playing rounds, and doing other things will be a more balanced way to go. However, I think I can get my practice more structured, and do more of it to improve.
__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 3,300
Agreed - I think to get a little bit better you have to practice much harder as you keep playing. I don't want it to turn into a grind either and sometimes it already does.


It's tough, I have to concentrate on every single shot or I'll hit a crappy one.
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,333
I can remember someone telling me many, many moons ago when I started playing and really taking the game seriously; breaking 100 is easy, breaking 90 isn't really all that hard, breaking 80 is tough, breaking par is a bitch.

At this point in my life I just enjoy getting out and playing with friends and if I stay in the 80s, great, if not, that's OK too.
__________________
Normal is an illusion...what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boise
Posts: 167
Breaking 80 is my current goal. Shot 82 once this year, but typically 88-92. I have improved with lessons the past month and not trying to help the ball so dang much.

I did walk 18 holes in a row for three days last weekend. I was beat by the last day and ready to not play golf on Monday. Heading to the driving range tonight and a tee time on Sunday. The valley is socked in with smoke, yuch. Hopefully it won't be too nasty out.
__________________
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I did walk 18 holes in a row for three days last weekend. I was beat by the last day and ready to not play golf on Monday. Heading to the driving range tonight and a tee time on Sunday. The valley is socked in with smoke, yuch. Hopefully it won't be too nasty out.
what course?
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boise
Posts: 167
Crane Creek. The three I played last weekend were Hillcrest, CC and Eagle Hills. If I can't be retired the short weeks do help.
__________________
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Breaking 80 is my current goal. Shot 82 once this year, but typically 88-92. I have improved with lessons the past month and not trying to help the ball so dang much.

I did walk 18 holes in a row for three days last weekend. I was beat by the last day and ready to not play golf on Monday. Heading to the driving range tonight and a tee time on Sunday. The valley is socked in with smoke, yuch. Hopefully it won't be too nasty out.
One word for you "short game" !
__________________
Normal is an illusion...what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.
jjquantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
One word for you "short game" !
+1

When I was finishing up my teaching certification I took two classes one summer - one met from 9 - 11 AM, the other from 2 - 4 PM. The classroom was right next to the golf practice center at the U. Everyday that summer I showed up to class with my lunch, 3 wedges, a 6 iron and a shag bag of golf balls. During the break between classes I practiced every conceivable short shot. I started the summer with an index about 15 and ended it about a 7. All due to the short game.

I can't remember anything from the classes I took that summer 24 years ago, but my short game has stayed with me ever since.
__________________
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:58 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Just a word to the wise. When I was working I tried to get out at least twice a week and would shoot in the low 80s. I would hit the range a few times a week and practice my short game in the backyard. I love the game and thought once I retired I would hit the course and really improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I understand what you are saying. I don't think I can play more than 3 - 4 times a week even when I retire. I don't want playing golf to become like a job ("grind"). Mixing practice and playing rounds, and doing other things will be a more balanced way to go. However, I think I can get my practice more structured, and do more of it to improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Agreed - I think to get a little bit better you have to practice much harder as you keep playing. I don't want it to turn into a grind either and sometimes it already does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
+1

When I was finishing up my teaching certification I took two classes one summer - one met from 9 - 11 AM, the other from 2 - 4 PM. The classroom was right next to the golf practice center at the U. Everyday that summer I showed up to class with my lunch, 3 wedges, a 6 iron and a shag bag of golf balls. During the break between classes I practiced every conceivable short shot. I started the summer with an index about 15 and ended it about a 7. All due to the short game.

I can't remember anything from the classes I took that summer 24 years ago, but my short game has stayed with me ever since.
+1 on the practice.
+2 on making most of it short game

I actually LIKE to practice. I'd just as soon practice for 2hrs as play a round. Just as we've all experienced the "tuning fork in our loins" feeling of a great shot or two/few during a round, I love the sense memories I get from a good practice session.
__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
First, yes I know it's not Tuesday. But, the date is just a state of mind...

Well, now that I'm Semi-FIREd and "reallocating my time" so to speak, I've noticed that there is not a continuous (sticky) thread devoted to what I seem to be devoting much of my time to...The (Real) Beautiful Game - GOLF. Or, "Pasture Pool", as my friend Roy calls it.

So, let's fix that fellow golfers! Let's have a place where we can ad lib, brag, commiserate, debate, exaggerate...I'll stop with "E", you get the point. Besides, if you get to "F" on the golf course, well you're missing the point of being on the course.

I'll start, and I hope to inspire contributions from the other pasture pool enthusiasts out there.

So, when I say "reallocate" my time, I mean that I'm literally spending more time playing or practicing golf than I am any other pursuit...except sleeping. I'm playing or practicing ~15hrs/week. If I add driving to/from time, that's another 5hrs/week and, if I add watching improvement videos & the "Golf Channel", well, golf approaches becoming a j*b. AND, I'm loving it! I look forward to every round, every lesson & every practice session. I decided to take a series of lessons (I chose GolfTec) and am really seeing an improvement in my game. So, I'd definitely advocate investing in lessons to improve your game and the enjoyment you get from it. What's worked for you?

I have decided to not join a single golf club for several reasons: (1) It's more expensive, (2) I like the variety of playing different courses, (3) Most of my golf buddies play different courses every week. We live in CA now and lived in TN previously, and the multiple course approach worked best for me in both locations, each of which has tons of good quality public/semi-private courses from which to choose. But, I've also belonged to one club in another location, when we lived next to a course, and that worked for me then. What benefits do you see for either approach? What works for you?

I try very hard to just enjoy the game; to realize how fortunate I am to have the time, resources and opportunity to get outside, see beautiful scenery, do something physical, and spend time with friends. I'm a Type A personality and somewhat competitive. So, just enjoying the walk is sometimes difficult for me but, I try; it's a work in progress, and I'm enjoying working on that part of myself. DW tells me I could use a little more "chill out" so, golf helps. How about you?

So, now to the part about spousal support (or lack thereof) of this "habit." All jokes aside, DW is VERY supportive. She knows very little about the game but, always asks me "How'd you do?" "What'd you shoot?" And, through osmosis over the years, she's gained enough knowledge to know good from bad. If I report a score in the 70s, I always get kudos from DW, and I think that's very sweet. My DW will never play (just not interesting to her) but, she is almost always supportive. How's your spouse's support of your hobby/habit/addiction? Does your spouse also play?

I go on a buddies golf trip every year, and it is an unmitigated BLAST! We've done it for more than a dozen years, and everyone looks forward to it each and every year. We take 8, which seems to be the magic number (enough but not too many to manage). As hard as it is to believe, more than 8 guys can be a PITA to manage. We play 6 rounds in 4 days, have dinner together, play cards until late at night, and just generally have a great "guys" trip. Do you go on an annual golf trip? If so, what works for your group? Where have you gone that you like?

This last part may sound a bit obsessive to you but, I do have a golf item on my "bucket list." It is to shoot a round below my age. Sounds simple enough but, it's not easy (for me at least, having not taken up the game until after the age of 40). So, when you think about this goal, there's a wonderful silver lining---I have to be active and healthy enough to play well into my late 70s or early 80s to accomplish this goal; not to mention remaining involved in improving my game for the next 20 years. What a wonderful thing: an 80yo who walks 5 hours chasing a little ball through beautiful scenery, honing a physical skill, practicing patience & mental concentration...so he can then get behind the wheel of his big cadillac and run over pedestrians on the way back to the assisted living facility. What golf goals to you have?

I'll leave you with a couple of thoughts & some scenery related to the game, in the hope that you're inspired during your next round, and come here to share your experiences.

"The most important shot in golf is the next one."

"In golf as in life, it is the follow through that makes the difference."

Hit 'em long & straight my friends!

I have been playing a couple times of week. I am trying not to play too much to avoid and chronic injuries or burnout. A relative of mine experienced both of those problems playing every day. In general, I believe in “everything in moderation”.

I avoid tee times to a large extent. Too restricting. I did join a league up north several weeks ago, and I have enjoyed that. But now that is over, so I have headed to Florida to enjoy my golfing and other experiences here. In Florida, I have a membership to a 9 hole walking course, so I like that a lot. Nice to walk, enjoy the outdoors, etc. It does not stop me from playing other courses, though, since the 9 hole course membership only costs $100 per year.

I am not Type A, but I have OCD and I am hyper, so it can be a challenge to golf at times.

My wife is very supportive of my golfing! So much so, I occasionally wondered if it was her opportunity to hook up with her boyfriend.
J She knows very little about the game, and with a chronic injury she can’t play. I doubt if she would like it, though, since she never did when she was young and healthy. The lack of a golf hobby, though, partly inspired her to become passionate about fishing, and we do that a lot together now. She is basically a charter captain for me J

I have never done a pure golf trip. Although I am sure it may be a lot of fun, it might where me out in many ways. My golf trips tend to be more integrated in some family vacations. For example, the guys will golf 3 or 4 days during a one week vacation. Seems enough for me, and allows the girls to do some things alone, too.

Seems like a super long-range goal to shoot a round that is lower than my age. I am 55 now, and my best round recently is 82, so that would be 27 years from now!! I did, however, give this some consideration, and a similar goal is to be able to hit the ball farther than I can see. I have noticed that my eyesight is decreasing faster than my distance off the tee. Occasionally I can’t see my drives as they disappear over the last 20 or 30 yards. I have to hit it around 250 yards or so for this to happen.


But a goal to remain active and healthy to be playing at 80 is a good one. I recently was beat by an 87 year old!! Adds to my list of people that have beaten me, including a 10 year old girl L
__________________
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I have been playing a couple times of week. I am trying not to play too much to avoid and chronic injuries or burnout. A relative of mine experienced both of those problems playing every day. In general, I believe in “everything in moderation”.

I avoid tee times to a large extent. Too restricting. I did join a league up north several weeks ago, and I have enjoyed that. But now that is over, so I have headed to Florida to enjoy my golfing and other experiences here. In Florida, I have a membership to a 9 hole walking course, so I like that a lot. Nice to walk, enjoy the outdoors, etc. It does not stop me from playing other courses, though, since the 9 hole course membership only costs $100 per year.

I am not Type A, but I have OCD and I am hyper, so it can be a challenge to golf at times.

My wife is very supportive of my golfing! So much so, I occasionally wondered if it was her opportunity to hook up with her boyfriend.
J She knows very little about the game, and with a chronic injury she can’t play. I doubt if she would like it, though, since she never did when she was young and healthy. The lack of a golf hobby, though, partly inspired her to become passionate about fishing, and we do that a lot together now. She is basically a charter captain for me J

I have never done a pure golf trip. Although I am sure it may be a lot of fun, it might where me out in many ways. My golf trips tend to be more integrated in some family vacations. For example, the guys will golf 3 or 4 days during a one week vacation. Seems enough for me, and allows the girls to do some things alone, too.

Seems like a super long-range goal to shoot a round that is lower than my age. I am 55 now, and my best round recently is 82, so that would be 27 years from now!! I did, however, give this some consideration, and a similar goal is to be able to hit the ball farther than I can see. I have noticed that my eyesight is decreasing faster than my distance off the tee. Occasionally I can’t see my drives as they disappear over the last 20 or 30 yards. I have to hit it around 250 yards or so for this to happen.


But a goal to remain active and healthy to be playing at 80 is a good one. I recently was beat by an 87 year old!! Adds to my list of people that have beaten me, including a 10 year old girl L

I have not played in years.... but I would be happy to shoot my age at a 9 hole course....


Also, I have never really been able to see my drives that much.... heck, I would hit the ball, look up and not see it.... funny but true story.... I was on a long par 3... hit what felt like a great shot, but did not see it... walked down the fairway and did not see my ball... since nobody else was around, walked back and hacked a ball, hit second to near the green... and a third on the green... then I see my ball about a foot from the hole!! My one and only birdie in my life (I took the first shot.... I think that is legal, but who cares.... I counted what I wanted to count )


I did see the ball better when I had orange balls, but I do not see them anymore.... thinking about getting out and playing, so will start to look for some soon....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Also, I have never really been able to see my drives that much....
Seems to be a common problem as we age. Currently I'm the designated ball watcher for some in the group I play with but I'm sure my time will come.
__________________
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 13,436
I have trouble following the ball too. I see them on the way out but commonly lose them as they are falling back to the ground and then see them bounce if they land in sunlight rather than shadow.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 538
[QUOTE=Texas Proud;1647025]Also, I have never really been able to see my drives that much.... heck, I would hit the ball, look up and not see it.... funny but true story.... I was on a long par 3... hit what felt like a great shot, but did not see it... walked down the fairway and did not see my ball... since nobody else was around, walked back and hacked a ball, hit second to near the green... and a third on the green... then I see my ball about a foot from the hole!! My one and only birdie in my life (I took the first shot.... I think that is legal, but who cares.... I counted what I wanted to count )
QUOTE]

Yep, completely legal! It's called hitting a "provisional ball". Thought you were going to say it was in the hole, but close!!
__________________
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,016
If you are retired and an avid golfer, can you share your golf practice/round routine? How often do you practice, and play? I plan to play 3 - 4 rounds per week, and practice 5 - 6 times per week. Too much?
__________________

__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hybrid Golf Clubs setab Other topics 17 07-03-2016 09:26 AM
Golf Danny Other topics 70 08-08-2008 06:47 PM
Worlds first indoor golf course............ Dawg52 Other topics 0 08-14-2006 02:49 PM
Warm,Low cost of living,No/Low taxes, inexpensive golf & water sports JohnnieRed Life after FIRE 60 01-16-2006 10:54 AM
Re: Golf & the other half renferme Other topics 7 03-01-2004 11:15 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.