Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Good move, I think many golfers would be much better off with a shorter driver shaft. The standard off the shelf driver length seems to be getting longer every year, it's now ~45.5", way too long for most.
The average length of a driver shaft on the PGA tour is only 44.5"...and those guys will do anything for added distance. It's really a disservice to sell such long drivers to average golfers, most who have no chance at all of hitting them straight. One of the main reasons I've never been comfortable with a driver is because of how long they are.

The club fitter (who is also a teaching pro) is the same height as me (5'7") and said that he uses a 43" driver shaft. I tried the 43" shaft first and hit it okay, but the shaft that was just a half inch shorter was noticeably better for my swing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #802
Give me a forum ...

I have a tm rbz stage 2 (46") and I hit it straight all the time
Old 05-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #803
Give me a forum ...

5'4" Brook Henderson (last years women's PGA champ) has a different take on driver shafts. I play a 46" light weight shaft and drive the ball better than I ever have. If I have a tight hole to deal with I either grip down on the club or go with my 3 wood. But I agree, if someone is wild off the tee a shorter driver might be a good option.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:17 PM   #804
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
If I have a tight hole to deal with I either grip down on the club or go with my 3 wood. But I agree, if someone is wild off the tee a shorter driver might be a good option.

Not even going to touch that one.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #805

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Not even going to touch that one.
Cmon! We know you want to touch it.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:07 PM   #806

Tiger Woods DUI again.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #807
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Tiger Woods DUI again.
Nah...he was taking legal forms of heroin...ya know...pain killers. But the rumor mill is strong in the people so soon he will not only have been drunk...he will have been on pills, cocaine, meth...he will have multiple women in the back seat, yada yada yada. Ahh rumors...gotta love them.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #808

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Nah...he was taking legal forms of heroin...ya know...pain killers. But the rumor mill is strong in the people so soon he will not only have been drunk...he will have been on pills, cocaine, meth...he will have multiple women in the back seat, yada yada yada. Ahh rumors...gotta love them.
Just because the drugs are legal does not mean he was not DUI.
No alcohol does not mean he was not DUI.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #809

Quote:
He was DUI, he even admits it. The breath analyzer test for alcohol came back 0.000 so it had to be some quantity/mixture of pills.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #810

Quote:
This is a valid point and im glad you pointed this out. Last year 35% of every american was prescribed painkillers (legal opioids.) Lets pretend half of that number drove when they were on the opioids...which is probably a safe estimate. That means around 50,000,000 people should have gotten a DUI. Right? They were driving under the influence of narcotics.

Point of the story is there is no story. Everyone is pilled up and operating heavy machinery. There was a documentary called oxycontin express you should check out. It will shed some light on this dark epidemic thats blanketing the entire country.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #811

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
This is a valid point and im glad you pointed this out. Last year 35% of every american was prescribed painkillers (legal opioids.) Lets pretend half of that number drove when they were on the opioids...which is probably a safe estimate. That means around 50,000,000 people should have gotten a DUI. Right? They were driving under the influence of narcotics.

Point of the story is there is no story. Everyone is pilled up and operating heavy machinery. There was a documentary called oxycontin express you should check out. It will shed some light on this dark epidemic thats blanketing the entire country.
Yes.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #812
Give me a forum ...

Went to a PGA Super Store for my first time. Wow on the size, inventory and tech. Every piece of golf gear you can imagine, 10-20 times more extensive than a big Dick's or Golf Galaxy. The biggest golf store I've ever seen by far.

On the other hand, service was lacking despite plenty of people on the floor. Some were tied up with lessons and club fitting, some restocking, and some just walking around doing nothing much. I was trying out putters, along with others, and no one ever came by to see if anyone needed help. I finally asked the cashier to send someone over, she asked in her lapel mic. After 10 minutes I looked over at her and she mouthed 'I asked again.' After another 10 minutes, she asked a third time and one of the floor walkers came over. He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, didn't ask any questions or ask me to see my putting stroke or setup. He asked me what brands and styles I liked, when I told him he said they were all good putters. Was aware of toe hang, just barely. Asked me my height and said the length I was looking at was probably right. He basically said try as many as you want and pick the one you like best, 'that's what I do.' Good thing for them I'd narrowed it down to a few brands/styles and after trying them and others, I knew which one I wanted. I might have thought I could get a little guidance for a putter that cost more than all three of my woods. I bought despite the poor service because they're the only dealer for miles - I usually don't overlook poor service.

The online reviews said their service was indifferent or worse, but I didn't believe them. Now I do...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #813

Has anyone played Bailey Creek Golf course in Lake Almanor? I have a golf trip planned in August, but I have never been there.

thanks
Joe
Old 06-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #814
Give me a forum ...

I made my first ever hole in one today!!

I've been playing for 20 years and have lipped out twice but today the golfing gods decided to give gave me a break. It was on a 129 yard hole...I hit a wedge that landed about 8 feet short of the hole, bounced once, and then rolled in. My long time golf buddy was with me and got to enjoy the moment...I was witness to his only hole in one about 10 years ago.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #815
Give me a forum ...

nice!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Congratulations! Hope you followed tradition and bought a round for everyone at the bar afterwards.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #817
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Congratulations! Hope you followed tradition and bought a round for everyone at the bar afterwards.
I didn't...my long time golf buddy high fived me, and that was the extent of the celebration. After the round, we skipped the clubhouse and came back to my place (he had picked me up) and had a beer on the deck.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #818

Just saw the Tiger DUI video. Cop asked him for the alphabet, but not to sing it, then asks Tiger what he said. And Tiger says you asked me to sing the National Anthem, but not backwards. Oh my, he was out of it.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Congrats!!!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #820

OK sports fans, cast or forged irons ? Thinking about picking up some new irons and looking at some Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal forged irons. Turning 66 in a few weeks and still hitting the ball pretty solidly, play at least twice week and shoot anywhere from the mid 80s-mid- 90s depending on course difficulty and tees. What do you all think ?