Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
albatross is a 2 on a par 5 or an ace on a par 4
Correcto mundo !
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #842
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
albatross is a 2 on a par 5 or an ace on a par 4
And they're understandably rare even among pros. Only 18 in majors for men, 4 for women. Of course they'd be more common if pros played the courses most of us often play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...t_an_albatross

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 06-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #843
Give me a forum ...

I don't golf. Looks way beyond my coordination/physical abilities. Kudos to those of you who do:

https://imgur.com/FEyYpv3

(not my title BTW - pardon me)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #844

US Open looks more like Buick Open, with low scores and "non-major" names on top. Just doesn't have the "survivor" vibe of tradional US Opens.

The lack of wind and soft, receptive greens/fairways made Erin Hills pretty tame.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #845
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday's lamb looks like a lion today.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-19-2017, 06:41 AM   #846

For what some are saying about the course being an easy track, it sure did eat up all the big names. I enjoyed the venue and watching some good golf.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #847
Give me a forum ...

well I wont' be playing it any time soon - looks like it's $400 or so a round
Old 06-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #848

Glad to see Koepka win a major. I was watching yesterday & thinking about having seen in person many of those in contention yesterday when I volunteered @ the WGC in 2015: Koepka, Fleetwood, Matsuyama, Garcia, Fowler, Reed & Hoffman; others too, who were not in contention. It's cool to see them on TV & think about watching them up close in person, realizing just how good they are. A golf buddy, who also volunteered, and I watched Bubba, Koepka, JB Holmes & Gary Woodland all hitting on the range simultaneously; like watching cannons go off at a military parade.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #849
Give me a forum ...

I posted a few weeks ago about getting fitted for a driver and fairway wood. I have since received the clubs and am happy to report that it was money well spent.

Prior to the club fitting, I was using an old knock off 4-wood and barely hitting it 200 off the tee. Part of the reason for the lack of distance is my slow swing speed, but I have also never felt that comfortable using a driver. At only 5'7", hitting longer shaft clubs has always been a problem. The club fitter built a 42.5" driver and a fairway wood and so far I have used them in 2 games, and also in a scramble yesterday. The scramble gave me a chance to swing faster that I normally would have when my tee shots were not needed and the results were far better than I could have hoped.

The fairway wood goes about 220 and straight. The driver has been consistently going around 235 - 240. In the scramble yesterday, on one hole straight into a 50kph (30 mph) wind when my drive wasn't needed, I swung hard and hit the driver 235 yards...taking into account the wind, that was probably the furthest I have ever hit a tee shot. Both myself and my long time golf friends were completely amazed.

I should have been fitted for clubs 20 years ago!!
17 Million to One
Old 06-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #850

17 Million to One

Well, now I know why I'm still waiting for my first hole-in-one...these jokers are using them all up!

Two Scottish Golfers Halve Hole with Aces
Old 06-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #851
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Well, now I know why I'm still waiting for my first hole-in-one...these jokers are using them all up!

Two Scottish Golfers Halve Hole with Aces

Incredible story - would love to have been there to see that one!
Old 07-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #852

I put my name in for next years Master's ticket lottery and got my annual rejection email this month. Anyone else have better luck?
Old 07-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #853
Give me a forum ...

My long time golf buddy walked off the course today!!

Back story: He has always been one of those guys who shows up 5 minutes before tee time, plays in his runners, and shoots 82 - 84 every single time...no warmup, no practicing. Wind, no wind...first round of the year, last round, it didn't matter, he was consistent no matter what the conditions. He is the person that introduced me to golf 25 years ago (we used to work together).

Then he built a house about 8 years ago and since then has hardly played due to all the work involved...maybe 15 - 20 times in those 8 years, the majority were scramble tournaments. The lack of playing has affected his feel and short game. And he gained 50 pounds. And he doesn't work out any more. And he's 8 years older.

All of those factors have caused him to go from 82 - 84 to struggling to break 100. So he bought new clubs and a $500 driver this year. They didn't help.

Today, he shot 56 on the front 9, then made a "generous" 11 on the 10th hole. He looked at us and said "Sorry guys, I'm done"...and he walked off the course. I was with 2 other friends, so it wasn't a big of a deal as it could have been. Anyway, we finished the round and I got home to an email saying that he's taking a break from golf for a while.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #854
Give me a forum ...

if you don't like the way you're playing you need to change the way you're practicing
Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #855
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
if you don't like the way you're playing you need to change the way you're practicing
He's never practiced a day in his life

Of course, you can get by with that if you play 40 times a year and are happy with low to mid 80's. But, take 8 years off and things aren't quite the same any more.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #856

You get out of it, what you put into it. It is a most difficult and frustrating game that no one has ever perfected and that why it is so much fun.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #857
Give me a forum ...

Jeesh. I had an 84 today and was happy as a clam.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #858
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Jeesh. I had an 84 today and was happy as a clam.
I shot 89 with a pair of 8's...also happy as a clam. But, I don't practice or warmup (not even the putting green) and have only taken 5 or 6 lessons in my life.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #859
Give me a forum ...

I had two 8's also.... and 4... that's 4 putts that lipped the cup but stayed out.... sunk a few long putts though... that helped.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
My long time golf buddy walked off the course today!!

Today, he shot 56 on the front 9, then made a "generous" 11 on the 10th hole. He looked at us and said "Sorry guys, I'm done"...and he walked off the course. I was with 2 other friends, so it wasn't a big of a deal as it could have been. Anyway, we finished the round and I got home to an email saying that he's taking a break from golf for a while.
Maybe a beer or two would help him enjoy himself.
Closed Thread