Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #861
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Strangely, I've had a couple bad rounds going and have found the beer cart and found a cold brewski to be a magical elixir to improve my scoring. Including just a week ago... horrible on the front and a quite decent score on the back.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #862
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Strangely, I've had a couple bad rounds going and have found the beer cart and found a cold brewski to be a magical elixir to improve my scoring. Including just a week ago... horrible on the front and a quite decent score on the back.
Golf overall is suffering a bit, so I make sure to do my part in supporting the course by buying a beer or two from the beverage cart.

I think that a couple drinks can help some golfers...especially the ones who tense up and think too much. Give 'em a drink or two and some of them will loosen up and swing better.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #863
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post

Today, he shot 56 on the front 9, then made a "generous" 11 on the 10th hole. He looked at us and said "Sorry guys, I'm done"...and he walked off the course. I was with 2 other friends, so it wasn't a big of a deal as it could have been. Anyway, we finished the round and I got home to an email saying that he's taking a break from golf for a while.
Played behind a guy last year who walked off the course 3 times in a single round - he has anger management problems combined with an inflated sense of his own abilities at golf. Walked off on #1 (!) after some shots that would have led to at least an 8. A while later, we saw that he had rejoined the group, but he walked off again on #10, then he was with the group again by #14, and did not finish with him. Don't know how his buddies put up with him.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #864
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think I'll try that on the last round in our league, since the score won't count for anything. On second thought, I haven't been playing very well (woods ) so maybe I should try it now. Trying to bring a game back after a 15 year layoff continues to be humbling...

I played with a guy in the league a few weeks ago who killed off two beers between #10 and #14. He was scoring and at the end he shared all our scores, and told us he shot a 37. I wish I'd kept my mouth shut, but I quietly blurted out "really?" He said, check for me. I said no, but he said he'd welcome a double check. I added twice and got 47. So beer works one way or another. He thanked me and said that would have been embarrassing to turn in, and there haven't been any hard feelings since (whew).

Just sharing a related story, NOT suggesting anything about pb4uski!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #865
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Golf is meant to be fun and I refuse to put up with assholes of any color while playing the game. Alcohol in excess can turn an otherwise pleasant golfer into a major asshole.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I played with a guy in the league a few weeks ago who killed off two beers between #10 and #14. He was scoring and at the end he shared all our scores, and told us he shot a 37. I wish I'd kept my mouth shut, but I quietly blurted out "really?" He said, check for me. I said no, but he said he'd welcome a double check. I added twice and got 47. So beer works one way or another. He thanked me and said that would have been embarrassing to turn in, and there haven't been any hard feelings since (whew).
Even after a couple of beers it's hard to imagine how any golfer couldn't sense if they were playing par or bogey golf over 9 holes. Maybe he also knocked down a few brews before the round.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #867
Give me a forum ...

I can't remember the last time I drank a beer on the golf course. Particularly this time of the year. It's been so hot, I have only been playing 9 holes and calling it a day. Only played twice this week.
Whitney Oaks
Old 07-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #868

Whitney Oaks

Played at Whitney Oaks near Sacramento, CA this weekend, while visiting the area to see a concert. It's a great track amongst the canyons, live oaks & boulders; definitely target golf, I lost two balls. I was paired with three very pleasant guys, all locals who know the course, which helped quite a bit. The pleasant company was a nice reminder that most golfers are friendly and likeable folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0100.jpg (531.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #869

A lot of rain yesterday so I decided to move up a tee box today for a change of pace. Ended up shooting 71, first time under par since 2006. I've been struggling to break 80 this year from the tips (it is NOT a long course), maybe I should move up a little more often.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #870

Has anyone been to a "Top Golf" venue and if so, did you like it, thoughts and comments welcome.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #871

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Has anyone been to a "Top Golf" venue and if so, did you like it, thoughts and comments welcome.
Yes, DD and DSIL wanted to go and play mini-golf there a couple of years ago. I wasn't impressed - it definitely caters to younger folks who like a lot of noise and "excitement" while they are fooling around with golf clubs. They have lots of games that can be played with golf balls and the driving range, but it is NOT a place to go if you are seriously trying to practice. But I'm just an old fart who likes golf courses because they are quiet, among other things.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #872
Give me a forum ...

Played yesterday...had a great back 9 other than 1 hole, lol. 7 pars, 1 birdie, and 1 quadruple bogey Not bad for a 14 handicap...

Anyway, all of the holes other than the par 3's had a large "hole" about 2" in diameter (with a flag) about halfway down the fairway. A lone golfer had joined myself and my friend and he said they were for foot golf, people kick a soccer ball from the tee box to the larger hole. I've never seen it played and have no idea how popular it is.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #873
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I have been 3 times... once in Austin and a couple times in Tampa. I like it... better with a small group... like a cross between a golf driving range but with the social aspects of bowling. I like their TopChip game.

I think it is great that Top Golf is generating interest in the game from millenials.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #874
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Yes, DD and DSIL wanted to go and play mini-golf there a couple of years ago. I wasn't impressed - it definitely caters to younger folks who like a lot of noise and "excitement" while they are fooling around with golf clubs. They have lots of games that can be played with golf balls and the driving range, but it is NOT a place to go if you are seriously trying to practice. But I'm just an old fart who likes golf courses because they are quiet, among other things.
Agree on the last part ... actually, make that the next to last part. Not a good place to practice unless you are there on the off hours... besides, you are hitting off of mats and I don't like practicing off of mats.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #875
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A lot of rain yesterday so I decided to move up a tee box today for a change of pace. Ended up shooting 71, first time under par since 2006. I've been struggling to break 80 this year from the tips (it is NOT a long course), maybe I should move up a little more often.
I moved up 3-4 years ago. Most everyone I play with are older so I play from the same tees they like. It does make scoring better and I generally have more fun from the short tees. If I'm just playing 9 by myself, I generally play from the longer regular tees just to mix it up.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #876
Give me a forum ...

+1 Most of the guys I play with play from the senior tees so I do as well. Our course is much friendlier from the senior tees than from the whites on probably half of the holes... the remainder are only a little different (10 yds of so). I usually just tee off with a 3 or 5-wood rather than a driver.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I moved up 3-4 years ago. Most everyone I play with are older so I play from the same tees they like. It does make scoring better and I generally have more fun from the short tees. If I'm just playing 9 by myself, I generally play from the longer regular tees just to mix it up.
I spend too much time puzzling over this. In general, I've always liked playing tees where I have to play "well" to break 80. Right now, I still feel like the best match for that is still the tips on this course (only 6375 yards). If I really felt like the next tees up (ca. 5900 yards) gave me a chance to shoot around par regularly, I would definitely move up. However, I really think (sadly) that today was a fluke. So I will probably continue to do what I've been doing: play the tips until I have 3 or 4 rounds where I don't break 80, then move up for a couple of rounds to build some confidence (I find it relatively easy to break 80 from that set), then move back. Most of the people I've been running into on weekday mornings are playing the gold tees - those are only about 4900 yards - I'm not going up there for quite a while.

The best thing is that today felt like a good omen for my upcoming trip to Bandon Dunes!
Old 08-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #878
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I spend too much time puzzling over this. In general, I've always liked playing tees where I have to play "well" to break 80. Right now, I still feel like the best match for that is still the tips on this course (only 6375 yards). If I really felt like the next tees up (ca. 5900 yards) gave me a chance to shoot around par regularly, I would definitely move up. However, I really think (sadly) that today was a fluke. So I will probably continue to do what I've been doing: play the tips until I have 3 or 4 rounds where I don't break 80, then move up for a couple of rounds to build some confidence (I find it relatively easy to break 80 from that set), then move back. Most of the people I've been running into on weekday mornings are playing the gold tees - those are only about 4900 yards - I'm not going up there for quite a while.

The best thing is that today felt like a good omen for my upcoming trip to Bandon Dunes!
We tend to pick the tees that end up between 6,100 - 6,500...long enough to be a challenge to us hackers, but not so long that you have to hit a 3-wood to every other par 4.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #879
Give me a forum ...

Old 08-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #880
Give me a forum ...

^^

Well, it looks like I'm playing too far back...
Closed Thread