Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #981
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Putting has been my achilles heel forever with an occasional good day here and there. But tried Ben Crenshaw's style the last few rounds and it has really made a difference. Making most all of my short putts. Below is one of his videos that explains his style. The one key thing he said is Harvey Penick told him that he would like to see people putt like they chip. That's what I think about when setting up and making a stroke. But putting is an individual thing so ymmv.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #982
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great video, thanks. I missed a 3 footer, then a 2 footer yesterday. Both were side hill putts, but tough to miss those. I was hitting the center of the cup until then. Better luck tomorrow I'll try these tips
Old 11-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #983
Give me a forum ...

So what are the best forums now that I have to find other ways to soothe my golf jones over the winter? I've found MyGolfSpy, GolfWRX and The Hacker's Paradise - like them all. There was another (TST) that I had good exchanges on but the admin and I did not get along, so I quit. Any others?

I just finished a YouTube video of one of the local public courses just for fun, another hobby. I used satellite images, GoPro video and local knowledge to put it together. But I won't be able to do that once the snow starts to fly.

Now I am trying to figure out how to develop a 3D image of each golf hole like the one below, but that may not be possible with my ability and resources.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC.jpg (414.7 KB, 14 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 11-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #984
Give me a forum ...

You might try TopGolf as one outlet.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #985
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You might try TopGolf as one outlet.
I've heard it mentioned a lot, but not looked into it. Evidently there's one about 50 miles away, I'll look into it, thanks. Have you tried TopGolf?

Old 11-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #986
Give me a forum ...

A couple times... once in Austin and another in Tampa. I enjoyed it. Austin was with two other people and Tampa was just me and DW. Check out their website and videos.

There is a chip in each ball and various games that you can play that award accuracy or distance or whatever.

It is sort of a mix of hitting golf balls with the social aspects of bowling. They serve drinks and appetizers too.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #987
Give me a forum ...

i keep seeing a link on facebook where building a full on golf simulator for $2K is touted.

That seems pretty inexpensive to me.

As crappy as my short game has become due to lack of alcohol, I may just build a chipping/putting area in my basement.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #988
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
i keep seeing a link on facebook where building a full on golf simulator for $2K is touted.

That seems pretty inexpensive to me.

As crappy as my short game has become due to lack of alcohol, I may just build a chipping/putting area in my basement.
Sounds like a great project!

I was going to do that in our last house but, alas we moved. Not sure I could have done it for <$2k because I wanted a large indoor putting green plus simulator. But, pretty sure I could have done it all for <$5k.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #989
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I practiced chipping and putting one winter on some old hand me down scraps of carpet in the basement...it definitely made a bit of a difference the next season. Unfortunately, I no longer have enough room to do that.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #990
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to do a similar low budget video of my home course, so I thought I'd practice by doing another public course I played a couple times last year. I've already figured out a couple of things I can improve, but I'd welcome low budget constructive criticisms if you're so inclined. I am not satisfied the hole overview graphic in particular, trying to come up with something better as mentioned earlier.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'd like to do a similar low budget video of my home course, so I thought I'd practice by doing another public course I played a couple times last year.
Interesting project. Have you looked at any of the golf gps apps that provide hole layouts/flyovers? Some of them are pretty good and can be useful during a round. I like to use a golf gps for a course I'm not very familiar with but for my home course most of that information is already ingrained from playing it so many times so I just use a laser rangefinder to give me exact distances.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #992
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Interesting project. Have you looked at any of the golf gps apps that provide hole layouts/flyovers? Some of them are pretty good and can be useful during a round. I like to use a golf gps for a course I'm not very familiar with but for my home course most of that information is already ingrained from playing it so many times so I just use a laser rangefinder to give me exact distances.
An interesting idea I had NOT thought of, thanks!

Funny thing is I wouldn't use the yardage book info on my own video either. My $99 Garmin Approach G10 GPS tells me everything I want to know about distances to greens, hazards, doglegs and layups while I am playing - at any course I'll ever play. The one day it didn't work, I had to work a lot harder finding blue-white-red fairway markers & sprinkler heads and guessing. It also keeps my score, putts, fairways and GIR and uploads into summary stats. Might be the best golf purchase I made in 2017.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'd like to do a similar low budget video of my home course, so I thought I'd practice by doing another public course I played a couple times last year. I've already figured out a couple of things I can improve, but I'd welcome low budget constructive criticisms if you're so inclined. I am not satisfied the hole overview graphic in particular, trying to come up with something better as mentioned earlier.

I like the sample golf video, including the Tom Petty background music. Particularly like the bullet summaries to begin each hole.

Also have to say I really like the sailing video! But, I could watch paint dry while listening to Iz! So, you got that goin’ for ya.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #994

Did anyone here watch the Mayakoba golf tournament this weekend? If so, I'd love to get your imput regarding David Duval's announcing skills.

I don't want to be too hard on him, but after awhile, I couldn't listen to him. He came across as a know-it-all. Even if he does knowitall, isn't there a way to announce so it would not be so off-putting?

Also, he tended to drag down every player. Especially Charles Howell III.

And the last point was him stating the obvious. I know you can't have dead time on the air, but isn't stating the obvious something each announcer is taught to avoid?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Did anyone here watch the Mayakoba golf tournament this weekend? If so, I'd love to get your imput regarding David Duval's announcing skills.

I don't want to be too hard on him, but after awhile, I couldn't listen to him. He came across as a know-it-all. Even if he does knowitall, isn't there a way to announce so it would not be so off-putting?

Also, he tended to drag down every player. Especially Charles Howell III.

And the last point was him stating the obvious. I know you can't have dead time on the air, but isn't stating the obvious something each announcer is taught to avoid?
Didn’t watch the Mayakoba but, can comment on Duval’s announcing skills that I have seen...I like them. When he first started, he was a bit unsure of himself & his style but, seemed to quickly get into a groove. Most of his announcing that I’ve seen has been with Chamblee, Nobilo, et al, as part of a group, and I like Duval in that format; he’s a good ‘been there, done that & this is what it feels like’ commentator. In that sense, he brings what Chamblee & Nobilo can’t, first hand experience as a World #1 & Major Winner. I do have to admit though that I’ve always been a Duval fan, and I want him to do well, especially after the way his playing career collapsed; I like a good comeback story.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #996

Didn't see Duval in the booth but one player I wouldn't mind seeing in the announcer booth is Colin Montgomery. He did come across as a jerk as a player with his rabbit ears but off the course he is articulate, has a decent sense of humor, and is not shy about giving his opinion.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #997
Give me a forum ...

got a lot of shop credit I need to use by the end of the year

looking for some new irons, thinking maybe wilson staff c200/d200? or c300/d300?

any recommendations?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #998

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Didn't see Duval in the booth but one player I wouldn't mind seeing in the announcer booth is Colin Montgomery. He did come across as a jerk as a player with his rabbit ears but off the course he is articulate, has a decent sense of humor, and is not shy about giving his opinion.
Yeah, I do like Monty. He's opinionated and that's a good thing. Too bad he's been treated so badly by American golf fans. Remember when he played with Tiger at Tiger's first Master's win? Colin was asked if Tiger might choke or something along those lines. Colin was so effuse in his praise of Tiger, and then said something like Tiger's no Greg Norman.

From Zinger (2 comments above, and you're not Paul Azinger are you?)
Didn’t watch the Mayakoba but, can comment on Duval’s announcing skills that I have seen...I like them. When he first started, he was a bit unsure of himself & his style but, seemed to quickly get into a groove. Most of his announcing that I’ve seen has been with Chamblee, Nobilo, et al, as part of a group, and I like Duval in that format; he’s a good ‘been there, done that & this is what it feels like’ commentator. In that sense, he brings what Chamblee & Nobilo can’t, first hand experience as a World #1 & Major Winner. I do have to admit though that I’ve always been a Duval fan, and I want him to do well, especially after the way his playing career collapsed; I like a good comeback story

Back to my Duval comment about his commentating the Mayakoba golf tournament: I agree with the previous comment before you, in that Duval fit in well with Nobilo and Chamblee. But if anyone watched the tournament, trust me, he was not good. Might be wrong, but I don't think we'll see him announcing another tournament in awhile.

My little side story about Duval shooting a 59. I was at that tournament but decided to leave early to get back to my home in Long Beach. One of the reasons I liked Duval also, was that he had so many second place finishes, that when he won his first tournament, I thought the flood gates would open, and that's what indeed happened.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
From Zinger (2 comments above, and you're not Paul Azinger are you?)
Afraid not, probably the only thing we have in common is that we're both from MA.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #1000
Give me a forum ...

Frustrating game! Scortched the front 9 (for me) at +2.... then came back to reality on the back 9. Ugh!

Closed Thread