Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #1241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
For those of you who are trying for Masters tickets, is there any downside to trying for 4 tickets? If you are selected and don't need all 4, are you obligated to paying for 4?
I've never heard of anyone winning more than one day of tickets. If you did win multiple days, they would be easy to sell.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #1242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
What is your favorite golf glove? I like the Bionic Stablegrip. Tried a few others and they are fine, FootJoy, Titleist. I like the Bionic for more padding.

IMO it would be hard to find a better deal than the 4 pack of Callaway leather gloves that Costco sells for $25. Nice and soft and seem to last a long time.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:08 AM   #1243
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
For those of you who are trying for Masters tickets, is there any downside to trying for 4 tickets? If you are selected and don't need all 4, are you obligated to paying for 4?
I can't answer this directly, but I do have a recommendation. Get as many as you can get if selected. I was selected this year and got 4 tickets for like a Tuesday practice round I think. I wasn't going to take the time off work for that (I've been to the Masters before) and sold them on StubHub for $550 A PIECE!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #1244
Give me a forum ...

Got a few holes and practice in early this morning. My dog enjoys riding in the cart too. The course will be closed at noon for a golf event so wanted to get a little practice in. Suppose to be a wet one all the way through the holiday so no more golf for several days. Great living on the golf course and being able to jump in the cart to play a few. The number 3 tee box is only 75 yards from my backyard.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Got a few holes and practice in early this morning. My dog enjoys riding in the cart too. The course will be closed at noon for a golf event so wanted to get a little practice in. Suppose to be a wet one all the way through the holiday so no more golf for several days. Great living on the golf course and being able to jump in the cart to play a few. The number 3 tee box is only 75 yards from my backyard.
I envy you. I was able to do this 10 yrs ago while living next to a golf course back east, and I really do miss the quick, direct access.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #1246

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
IMO it would be hard to find a better deal than the 4 pack of Callaway leather gloves that Costco sells for $25. Nice and soft and seem to last a long time.
+1
Old 05-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #1247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
I envy you. I was able to do this 10 yrs ago while living next to a golf course back east, and I really do miss the quick, direct access.
it is nice - one of my buddies called last night at 730 pm for an "emergency nine" which we finished by dark
Old 05-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #1248
Give me a forum ...

Going through a major swing change, and it's painful WRT scoring, two weeks in so far. I am convinced it will be best in the long run, so I am sticking with it even though it seems VERY unnatural after decades of 'doing it wrong,' Kinda embarrassing in league play, like this morning, but I guess it'll make me some money with an inflated handicap for a while (not much $ involved fortunately). I wish I could blame sandbagging, but I honestly can't

Patience...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #1249
Give me a forum ...

I'm gonna brag a bit I played yesterday...2nd game following a block of lessons.

Prior to the lessons my average drive was about 220. Yesterday, I hit a drive 270 right down the middle...the longest drive in my life that didn't bounce off an asphalt cart path. Unfortunately, I hit past the group in front (I yelled fore) and made sure to apologize when we caught up to them.

3 other drives were 250+ and I was able to enjoy approaching the greens with 3 less clubs than normal. There's a huge difference hitting an 8-iron instead of a 5-iron.

Of course, to balance that out there were a few chunks and skulls, but overall I feel that I'm on track.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:53 PM   #1250
Give me a forum ...

Wow... that is a huge difference... what changes did you make?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, do tell!
Old 05-24-2018, 05:07 AM   #1252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I was taking it back like a baseball swing and coming over the top. The instructor was able to get me on a correct swing path.

To be fair, the 270 drive was the result of over swinging but being lucky enough to keep it on path. Most of the good swings are going a little over 250.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #1253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I was taking it back like a baseball swing and coming over the top. The instructor was able to get me on a correct swing path.

To be fair, the 270 drive was the result of over swinging but being lucky enough to keep it on path. Most of the good swings are going a little over 250.
were you not turning your shoulders?

I've found that causes problems if I don't take a full turn.

regardless, good job!

I hit one about 300 last night on our longest par 5 - 550 from the blues. Of course I proceeded to top my 1H and barely pared it.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #1254
Full time employment: Posting here.

For all Northern CA golfers, I played Eagle Vines near Napa yesterday and would definitely play it again. Golf Moose has vouchers for $99 for two players
Old 05-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #1255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
were you not turning your shoulders?

I've found that causes problems if I don't take a full turn.

regardless, good job!

I hit one about 300 last night on our longest par 5 - 550 from the blues. Of course I proceeded to top my 1H and barely pared it.
I was turning my shoulders...I just had a very poor swing path. In fact, I'm now swinging slower than before (86-88 vs 92-94).

I'd like to hit it 300...maybe some day. But, realistically, after years of hitting only 220 an extra 30 or so yards is game changing and if I don't get any more length I can live with that.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #1256
Give me a forum ...

I'd love to hit it 250 every time. I just caught one good when I hit the 300 yesterday.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #1257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'd love to hit it 250 every time. I just caught one good when I hit the 300 yesterday.
Years ago I played a few rounds with a former co-worker who used to enter long drive contests. I remember one par 5...540 yards. He hit driver, 8-iron and I hit driver, 3-wood, 6-iron
Old 05-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #1258

Quote:
I was turning my shoulders...I just had a very poor swing path. In fact, I'm now swinging slower than before (86-88 vs 92-94).

I'd like to hit it 300...maybe some day. But, realistically, after years of hitting only 220 an extra 30 or so yards is game changing and if I don't get any more length I can live with that.
250 yds @ 88 mph is very efficient! I’d have no complaints at all about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 70EC5AA3-9E3E-4CFE-A238-AA5598882896.jpeg (633.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #1259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Years ago I played a few rounds with a former co-worker who used to enter long drive contests. I remember one par 5...540 yards. He hit driver, 8-iron and I hit driver, 3-wood, 6-iron
I remember hitting similar clubs on par 5's in the past. Better equipment has certainly helped. I'm hitting my driver further than I did 20 years ago. I have never been a 300 yard driver, not unless I had a strong wind behind me and hit a sprinkler head. Today I drive the ball a good 20 yards further than in my younger days. That is not the case with my irons tho. If not for stronger lofts on today's irons, I would be down a several yards per club. In reality, irons should have degrees stamped on the bottom of the club instead of a club number.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #1260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
250 yds @ 88 mph is very efficient! I’d have no complaints at all about that.
interesting - looks like I'm in the 100mph club, according to the iron distances anyway