Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #1941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes he is. Unfortunately total domination makes for a boring tourney.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #1942
Give me a forum ...

Someone modified one of the famous signs at Bethpage...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38AC4967-A38E-4FC8-A04A-5A148A777CC8.jpg (434.7 KB, 19 views)

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #1943
Recycles dryer sheets

First time out on a real (sort of) course in 30 years. Only 9 holes on an executive par 3 (120-200 yards) but did OK. After a slow start my last 4 holes were 3 pars and a bogey; ended up with a 38. No three putts. Best shot was worthy of Tiger, a 180 yard 3 wood to four feet. Of course, Tiger would be using an 8 iron. But then pulled a Scott Hoch and missed the downhill birdie putt. Looking forward to getting out at least once a week now that I retired in March.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #1944
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yes he is. Unfortunately total domination makes for a boring tourney.

I think it ended up being a bit more interesting than Mr. Koepka intended.

Nonetheless, he settled in just as it looked as if the wheels were coming off.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #1945
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
13 HI here and I agree that most golfers can use cheaper alternative to $5 balls. I use most any ball I find in the course. The only ones I don't play are ones with cuts or large scuff marks. If I am in tournament though, I will play straight ball (e.g, Bridgestone E6).

Of late, I have been playing erratically, 80's one day and 90's the next. Soon, I don't think I can claim I have 13 HI.
You are not alone. My play has dropped off for the last 4 to 6 weeks. Driving, irons and putting have all experienced some ups and downs. I'll just have to play more golf .
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Got some 3 layer Kirkland balls last week on ebay. Ended up getting 4 dozen 5A balls (all in perfect condition). Played Friday with them. Cannot give a fair evaluation of them because I played like cr#p. However, did play the most difficult course in the area (6700 yds. 134 slope) and fairways were real wet. No roll for my weak pea drives.

I've played with these balls for several rounds. I find them to perform reasonably well. Some people find them to be a little short on iron shots. I haven't really noticed this and if they are it's not enough to change clubs.

I think they are a tier below the best balls, but for $1 per ball you can't go wrong.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #1947
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Someone modified one of the famous signs at Bethpage...
No Tiger sighting ....

Didn't end up watching the tournament due to travelling but I think the tournament was over after the 2nd round.

Went to range to work on my two worst clubs - 5 iron & 3 wood. Every time I see my 3 wood club, I want to do a Bo Jackson on it. Neither club worked well in the range but I guess that is why I only brought those two clubs.

Tomorrow, I will conquer my home course, a bad range practice or not.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
First time out on a real (sort of) course in 30 years. Only 9 holes on an executive par 3 (120-200 yards) but did OK. After a slow start my last 4 holes were 3 pars and a bogey; ended up with a 38. No three putts. Best shot was worthy of Tiger, a 180 yard 3 wood to four feet. Of course, Tiger would be using an 8 iron. But then pulled a Scott Hoch and missed the downhill birdie putt. Looking forward to getting out at least once a week now that I retired in March.
Welcome.

Thatís great after a 30 yr absence!

100% x 10% > 10% x 100%
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #1949
Give me a forum ...

There have been discussions here on quality of golf balls people use. Here is an interesting comparison of refurbished & new Pro V1 balls.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
There have been discussions here on quality of golf balls people use. Here is an interesting comparison of refurbished & new Pro V1 balls.

Didn't watch the video but did purchase a dozen Pro V1 refinished/refurbished balls one time and wasn't impressed. I'm fairly certain that some of the balls were not Pro V1's by how they reacted on the greens with wedge shots and chipping. If I wanted to save some money on Pro V1's I would look at the practice Pro V1 balls sold in some golf stores for $29. Titleist claims these will function 100% like a new ball but may have some cosmetic issue.
zinger1457 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #1951

Looking forward to some golf on Friday. I tried to join a local league, but could only get in as a Sub. I've already got a couple requests to sub and have been told that it's pretty common to be able to golf every Friday as a sub. A couple things I'm looking forward to are that it's just 9 holes and they allow you to walk.

I've typically played 18. That was all good when it was just me and a friend and we would go off first thing on Sunday and be done in 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Lately, it's been painful. We've had a lot of rain and carts are cart path only and I've had two 18 hole rounds exceed 5 hours. I like golf, but I don't want to spend that much time of my day golfing. Nine holes should only take a couple hours even if the pace is very slow. That will work for me.

Walking 9 seems like it will be great exercise. The course is pretty flat, so shouldn't be too hard. As a sub, I'll do whatever the partner is doing (if he's riding, I'll ride . . ), but if I get in as a member, I'll start walking exclusively. Now I need to get a push cart. The last benefit of walking is the cost. For the league, it's only $11 to golf 9 without a cart. That's a good cost for this course and will be an inexpensive way for me to get out one more time per week.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #1952
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Didn't watch the video but did purchase a dozen Pro V1 refinished/refurbished balls one time and wasn't impressed. I'm fairly certain that some of the balls were not Pro V1's by how they reacted on the greens with wedge shots and chipping. If I wanted to save some money on Pro V1's I would look at the practice Pro V1 balls sold in some golf stores for $29. Titleist claims these will function 100% like a new ball but may have some cosmetic issue.
Or buy used from lostgolfballs.com but never buy refurbished
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #1953

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post

Most of the used balls being sold come out of water and there's a good chance they have been in there for a while. Saw an interview with a retired Taylor Made golf ball designer and he stated they have done studies on current golf balls and they do start to absorb water within a day or so of being in the water. Vice Golf has this on their web site but obviously they have an incentive to convince someone not to buy used.

https://www.vicegolf.com/us/forget_lakeballs

Quote:
After just twelve hours in the water, the outermost layer of the golf ball allows water to enter into the ball. This is mainly because modern layers of multi-layer golf balls (such as Urethane and UPC) are usually constructed to be extremely hydrophilic (moisture attracting) in order to prevent adverse affections due to weather. But if golf balls sit in the water for longer periods of time, permanent damage will be result. While invisible from the outside, this damage will clearly affect the driving distance off of the tee.

The further result is significant damage to the golf ballís core, which is designed to be ballís energy source. Studies show that after just one week in the water, lake balls will lose 5 to 10 yards in driving distance off of the tee; after 3 months, the distance loss widens to 20 to 30 yards.
zinger1457 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post

I agree - never but refurbished or refinished. I've been satisfied with the 5A recycled balls from Golf Balls Direct as well. Right now they have free ship for orders over $49.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #1955
Give me a forum ...

My first preference is Kirkland new golf balls... but we are not near a Costco in the summar and I'm loathe to pay $6 for shipping, so my Plan B is A-rated used Titleists that I get at Walmart.($10 for 15 IIRC). They are a mix of Velocity, NXTs, etc. To be honest in play I don't notice much of a difference between them and new.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #1956

I bought Kirkland balls from this ebay seller. They were as good as new

https://www.ebay.com/sch/49ford2door...p2047675.l2562
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #1957

DW had a hole in one yesterday. The green was elevated so we could not see the ball go in. Instead, when we got to the green, we all looked for her ball beyond the green. We all assumed her ball went over the green and couldn't figure out how we can't find her seemingly good shot. After a few minutes, it clicked on me and DW to look into the hole for a possible miracle. And there it was! Now, it is my turn ... someday ....
Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #1958
Dryer sheet aficionado

I made a hole-in-one yesterday! It was during our weekly golf league event, and was my first hole-in-one. Prize money was over $400, and bar bill was over $100, so have enough left for a new putter!

The green was slightly elevated, and sloping back to front, so my foursome got to see the whole shot. We even heard the ball hit the flag stick before disappearing into the hole. I was so excited! It was like all the years of trying to hit the perfect shot had just happened.

Time to start trying for the double eagle!
jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #1959
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats. That is very cool.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #1960
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations jeeper! Welcome to the club!

How long a hole and what club?