Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Quick question for all the duffers, which golf gambling game do you like the most ?

I really like to play skins with carry overs for a buck a hole. Nobody gets hurt and the winner usually buys at the 19th hole. Just good old friendly competition and trash talk.
We usually throw in a longest drive and a closest to the pin just for SAG.

What say you, ball strikers of the forum ?

$1 skins is the most common game we play. On the recent golf trip to St. George, we played twosome vs twosome $1 skins; lots of fun.

When we have 8, we normally play better ball, twosome vs twosome, $10pp/round. Ties are decided with a scorecard playoff.

Most of us, me included, like games where we play our own ball so we can include it in our index.

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quick question for all the duffers, which golf gambling game do you like the most ? ....
We usually play four different games. Low $ but makes it fun. Each guy puts in $7.. $5 for low net team and $1 for CTP (one front, one back)

We usually play low net teams of 2 or 3 or sometimes 4. Like today.. we were scheduled to have 20 but one guy didn't show up because his wife had something happen so we had 19... so 10 teams with a dummy. We paid $50, $30 and $15 to the top 3 teams and each CTP winner got $19.

In addition we usually play a 6-6-6 within each group.... low net match play with 2 man teams.... cartmates, drivers and then opposites. $1 for each 6. If we are a threesome then the lone guy gets the pro (par, net) so the other team must get at least a net birdie to win a hole.

So between all the games the worst you could do is lose $10... $7 plus $3 on the 6-6-6. Sometimes if the 6-6-6 ends early we'll play a quarter a hole the rest of the way in.

I was in the 1st of 5 groups today and was CTP on the back nine until a friend in the last group beat me out.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #123

We also play 6-6-6 a lot. No big losers and you get to partner with everyone in your group. I never gamble for serious money, even when I played poker with the guys it was small change only.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
We also play 6-6-6 a lot. No big losers and you get to partner with everyone in your group. I never gamble for serious money, even when I played poker with the guys it was small change only.
On our golf trips, whether it's 4 or 8 guys, we usually play poker at night. So, if you lose $ on the course, you have a chance to win it back at the table.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:43 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quick question for all the duffers, which golf gambling game do you like the most ?

I really like to play skins with carry overs for a buck a hole. Nobody gets hurt and the winner usually buys at the 19th hole. Just good old friendly competition and trash talk.

I've played a lot of skins with the guys, usually 50 cents a hole. Can't lose much which makes my geezer friends happy. When we play team four ball matches, we bet a $1 each side and a $1 overall. It's more about bragging rights than the money.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

1 or two dollar skins a hole for us.

shot 82 with two tweeters at westwood cc (Houston) yesterday
Old 11-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
shot 82 with two tweeters at westwood cc (Houston) yesterday

Congrats on the tweeters!

Old 11-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #128

DW & I are taking a trip to Kauai over the Xmas/New Year holiday, and I plan to play some golf. We're staying in Poipu on the south side.

Anybody have experience/suggestions on where to play on Kauai? I'd prefer to stay within a 30 min drive of Poipu, even if I miss the great courses on the north shore.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #129

Got another swing lesson in yesterday. I expect my handicap to go up before it goes down while I am working on the new swing.

Taking the swing lessons was part of my "splurging" attempt before I retire. Swing lesson is not in my ER budget.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Got another swing lesson in yesterday. I expect my handicap to go up before it goes down while I am working on the new swing.

Taking the swing lessons was part of my "splurging" attempt before I retire. Swing lesson is not in my ER budget.
Sounds like you worked on the full swing. Are you using the pro at your club or another instructor?

I had my (almost weekly) lesson Monday; part of the package DW got me for my birthday. We worked on sand shots. I've been having lots of trouble getting out of traps. I'm hoping this helps.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

even when you retire it's probably a good idea to take at least one maybe two lessons during the season - sometimes you get into a bad habit, whether it's stance, alignment, grip, club position and/or downswing and it helps when a pga pro is watching you

find a good pro - I've got one here I call the golf whisperer - he's expensive, $90 an hour but I'm hitting the ball about 30 yards further off the tee and my iron shots are phenomenal now
Old 11-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Sounds like you worked on the full swing. Are you using the pro at your club or another instructor?

I had my (almost weekly) lesson Monday; part of the package DW got me for my birthday. We worked on sand shots. I've been having lots of trouble getting out of traps. I'm hoping this helps.
I use GolfTec.

I have no problem getting out of trap during practice. That's all I want to say about the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
even when you retire it's probably a good idea to take at least one maybe two lessons during the season - sometimes you get into a bad habit, whether it's stance, alignment, grip, club position and/or downswing and it helps when a pga pro is watching you
Agreed. I will still take lessons but less often. I was working on the same swing tweak which I thought I fixed 3 months ago. Hopefully, I fixed it for good. This week's lesson is a brand new swing tweak. Will see how it works out.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I use GolfTec.

I have no problem getting out of trap during practice. That's all I want to say about the subject.

I also use GolfTec; the one in Pleasant Hill. I'm very pleased with them.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #134

Quote:

We usually play $5 Nassau's or 6/6/6. Usually a skins game involved as well.

Also play a quota game which is pretty popular at our club. 3 points for a birdie, 2 for a par, 1 for a bogey, 0 for double bogey. Your quota is determined by subtracting your handicap from 36. Can be played individually or as a team. $25 buy in which is $15 for team quota game, $5 for individual quota, and $5 for skins. Usually have four teams in our regular group.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

I took Friday off for a nice three day weekend. Walked 18 holes each of the three days. Scores were nothing great. I was able to go off as a single on Saturday before any other group and was done in two hours and twenty minutes. That was fun. I was starting the 18th when I saw the group behind me finishing the 10th.

The weather has turned, a little snow on the ground this morning. Dang it.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

We rode Saturday (everyone has a private cart).

Five guys, five carts 18 holes 3 hours. Now that's playing golf.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post

I have developed a HUGE problem getting out of the sand. I may have to dedicate one of my lessons to fixing this. I have read many tips and watched videos on-line, but nothing like having a pro help you!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
The weather has turned, a little snow on the ground this morning. Dang it.
Same here in SE Arizona, yesterday I was golfing in shorts and a SS polo shirt, this afternoon it was snowing and the wind blowing 30 mph.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

That's why I am looking into finding a good mat/net for whacking balls through the winter. I have a nice empty bay with 10' ceiling that needs filling.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #140

55 degrees, cloudy with showers here in Scottsdale today. Golf today was a washout. Hopefully tomorrow a bit warmer.