Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally Nike is exiting the golf equipment game. Hopefully rory heads back to titleist but chances are taylor made will gobble him up. They have all the money at the moment.

I believe Tiger also played Titleist clubs before moving to Nike. I get the impression that Titleist isn't able or not willing to pay the pros what some of the other manufacturers offer. I've seen quite a few big name players leave Titleist over the years but can't recall any switching to Titleist. Seems like PXG is the new kid on the block and has a lot of money to throw around.

The CA drought is killing some golf courses. Roddy Ranch, which was one of my regulars, is closing this week. Water costs have increased by over 500%. Sunol closed earlier this year and Stevenson Ranch and Diablo Grande Legends closed last year.

The CA drought is killing some golf courses. Roddy Ranch, which was one of my regulars, is closing this week. Water costs have increased by over 500%. Sunol closed earlier this year and Stevenson Ranch and Diablo Grande Legends closed last year.

JKern-

It's a bit of a drive for you but, the courses in Marin & Sonoma counties are not suffering from the drought; in fact, some of them are lush. Indian Valley, Peacock Gap, Rooster Run & Foxtail North are all getting plenty of water & in very good shape.

Closer to you, I've played Boundary Oaks, Tilden Park & Diablo Creek recently, and they seem to be getting plenty of water.

PM me if you want to know more. Good luck.

Last edited:

Some years ago, a Green Channel appeared on my cable.. Thought it might be interesting, but it was mostly foofy bs.

But I digress...

One program featured some celebrities describing the "green" things they did. Alice Cooper, yes THAT Alice Cooper, apparently lives in the Phoenix area, and plays golf frequently, so his "green" thing was to find/recycle lost golf balls. Never mind that a golf course in the desert is not so "green"...

We hear of so many courses closing but here's a new one 100 miles north of me about to open. The Bryan family(hot dog folks) built one in the late 90's(Old Waverly) near West Point, MS designed by Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio. Now they are building another one across the street designed by Gil Hanse the guy who did the new Olympic course. Hard to believe something like this is located in little old MS. I've played Old Waverly a couple of times and it truly is a championship course. They held the women's U.S. Open their in 1999. Not sure I will ever play the new one as the advertised rates are $150. I'm a little too cheap for that.

Mossy Oak Golf Club - West Point, Mississippi

One program featured some celebrities describing the "green" things they did. Alice Cooper, yes THAT Alice Cooper, apparently lives in the Phoenix area, and plays golf frequently, so his "green" thing was to find/recycle lost golf balls. Never mind that a golf course in the desert is not so "green"...

Hmmmm. Apparently, MY green thing must be losing golf balls for Alice & others to find/recycle. I feel so much better now. :rolleyes:

We hear of so many courses closing but here's a new one 100 miles north of me about to open. The Bryan family(hot dog folks) built one in the late 90's(Old Waverly) near West Point, MS designed by Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio. Now they are building another one across the street designed by Gil Hanse the guy who did the new Olympic course. Hard to believe something like this is located in little old MS. I've played Old Waverly a couple of times and it truly is a championship course. They held the women's U.S. Open their in 1999. Not sure I will ever play the new one as the advertised rates are $150. I'm a little too cheap for that.

Mossy Oak Golf Club - West Point, Mississippi

Watched the video. Haven't heard that accent since we moved from eastern Tennessee to Cali; nice to hear it again.

Sounds like it will be a beautiful course. Maybe they'll offer some promo rates when they open.

Watched the video. Haven't heard that accent since we moved from eastern Tennessee to Cali; nice to hear it again.

Sounds like it will be a beautiful course. Maybe they'll offer some promo rates when they open.

I might get lucky down the road. The 2 times I played the other one was a corporate freebie deal. Got a couple of buddies who still work that get the invites and I sometimes get thrown a bone if they need an extra player. I'm not opposed to a hand out.;)

Not sure if I would consider recycling golf balls "green" but it is turning into a profitable business for some. Was playing at my club not too long ago and watched someone in scuba gear walk out of the lake on the hole I was playing. He had two large duffle bags full of golf balls off to the side and was going back in for more. I know more than a couple of them were mine.

JKern-

It's a bit of a drive for you but, the courses in Marin & Sonoma counties are not suffering from the drought; in fact, some of them are lush. Indian Valley, Peacock Gap, Rooster Run & Foxtail North are all getting plenty of water & in very good shape.

Closer to you, I've played Boundary Oaks, Tilden Park & Diablo Creek recently, and they seem to be getting plenty of water.

PM me if you want to know more. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I've been to Diablo Creek recently and the course is very green and in very good condition. So is Monarch Bay and Poppy Ridge. I'm just sad about Roddy Ranch.

Just got home from our Club's Senior championship. I placed 10th overall, but was 20 strokes back of the winner. Did manage to win back my entry fee. :dance:

Just got home from our Club's Senior championship. I placed 10th overall, but was 20 strokes back of the winner. Did manage to win back my entry fee. :dance:

good jerb - we have the cc next weekend - 3 days match play

Close but No Cigar

I got close to a HIO yesterday @ Peacock Gap. It's an elevated tee so, we all watched it roll ~15 ft right at the cup...and just behind. :(

Maybe soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 11
just got done with CC. Three days of 18 hole matches. I lost the first one 3 and 1 and won the second two. I won today 8 and 7 :eek:

just got done with CC. Three days of 18 hole matches. I lost the first one 3 and 1 and won the second two. I won today 8 and 7 :eek:

Interesting format, ours is one and out. How does your club score the field when all play 3 matches?

When did the "don't give a s**t factor" kick in for your opponent in the last match?

Interesting format, ours is one and out. How does your club score the field when all play 3 matches?

When did the "don't give a s**t factor" kick in for your opponent in the last match?

we have flights of 8, so if you lose the second day, you are out of the tourn; only half the field plays on Sunday

he kept fighting all the way - he missed several putts inside 5 ft, I made most of mine

I hit every fairway on the front and both greens on the par 3s, that doesn't happen very often...

BreakMaster Home Page

Anyone have experience with the break master? An 18 handicapper, who took second in a member guest I recently played in, was raving to me about this.

Seems like a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom